Olympus WS-801 Digital Voice Recorder and Music Recorder/Player
Get Olympus WS-801 Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Olympus
Authorized Internet etailer
and for Many Other Fine Brands!
The Olympus WS-801 digital voice recorder and music player offers cutting-edge innovation with high-quality stereo recording. The WS-801 boasts multi-format recording and playback functions, scene select modes and calendar search functions. The WS-801 gives users professional stereo sound quality at an attractive price. The WS-801 features two internal directional microphones to help capture pristine sound and direct USB connection. The hallmark of Olympus audio recorders has always been superior sound quality, and the WS-801 continues that tradition. A key feature is two internal directional condenser microphones engineered to capture sound at a wide range of decibel levels. With the newly-developed high-sensitivity, low-noise directional microphones, Olympus has achieved the best ever quality in sound recording for this series. Another key attribute is multiple recording formats and playback features. The WS-801 offers the ability to record in MP3 and WMA (Windows Media Audio) formats.
The WS-801 also serves as an MP3 player. Simply download music files to the device and play them like any other MP3 player. A designated Music Folder helps users manage music files with ease. The WS-801 uses a single, rechargeable AAA NiMH battery that recharges by simply plugging the device into a USB. This handy feature saves time and money, and helps the environment by reducing waste. The WS-801 has 2GB of internal memory with 514 hours of recording time. In addition, the device has a microSD card slot with the potential to hold up to 32GB of additional memory -- an astounding feature at this price.
Olympus WS-801 Key Features
- Super High-Quality MP3 and WMA Stereo Audio Recording*
- The WS-801 can record and play super high-quality MP3 and WMA stereo audio content of 44.1 kilohertz (kHz), which is equal to the sound quality of most compact discs.
- Two High-Quality Built-in Directional Condenser Microphones*
- A key feature in the WS-801 is two internal directional condenser microphones engineered to capture sound at a wide range of decibel levels. With the newly-developed high-sensitivity, low-noise directional microphones, Olympus has achieved the best ever quality in sound recording for this series.
* Items marked with asterisk above indicate key step-up features from the Olympus Olympus VN-702PC Digital Voice Recorder.
- WS-801 Included Accessories:
- AAA Battery
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
- 2 GB of Built-in Flash Memory for Up To 514 Hours of LP Mode Recording
- Thanks to 2 GB built-in flash memory, the WS-801 can record up to 514 hours of audio to its internal memory in the long play mode. Even in high-quality 128 kbps stereo WMA mode the WS-801 can record for approximately 32.5 hours.
- microSD Removable Media Card Slot
- The WS-801 has 8 gigabytes of internal memory. The audio device also featurse a removable microSD media card slot to further expand capacity by up to 16 gigabytes. During a busy day of recording, changing optional microSD cards is an easy way for users to capture more audio without taking the time to download files to a computer.
- MP3 and WMA Stereo Playback
- Users of the WS-801 can download and play back MP3 and WMA (Windows Media Audio) files. This provides users with extreme flexibility, enabling them to use one device for recording meetings and lectures for work or school, while also enjoying music afterwards for fun.
- Move and Copy Files Between The Internal Memory and a microSD Card
- Move and copy files between internal memory and the micro-SD card with ease.
- Calendar Search Function
- Calendar Search allows recordings to be searched by the date they were created.
- Scene Select Modes for a Variety of Recordings
- The Scene Select modes function helps achieve optimal recordings through preset environmental settings that can be selected based upon surrounding conditions. Pick the zoom feature to pinpoint a lecturer's voice and block out unwanted crowd noise from the background. Separately, open the microphone wide to capture all the subtle sounds in nature.
- Battery Recharge via USB PC Link Function With Optional Rechargeable NiMH AAA Battery
- Tired of filling landfills with costly disposable batteries? The WS-801 offers an optional rechargeable NiMH AAA battery that can be recharged by plugging the WS-801 into the USB port on any computer for added convenience. In situations where a charge is not available, it is also possible to power this audio device using an easily-obtainable AAA alkaline battery.
- Long Battery Life
- The WS-801 Digital Voice Recorder can record for up to 27 hours with included rechargeable AAA battery.
- Five File Folders For Voice
- Organize up to 200 files in each of five available folders for quick retrieval and storage convenience.
- USB Mass Storage Class Support
- USB mass storage class support means the WS-801 can store documents, images and more in addition to audio. The WS-801 is an innovative solution for those regularly on the move and who value the ease and versatility of having a single device capable of recording their voice files as well as transporting all other types of digital data. Imagine the convenience: to be able to transport that image-laden PowerPoint presentation for showing in a client's boardroom, record negotiations as they are discussed during the meeting and finally, when the deal is about to be clinched, upload the contract draft that was prepared in Word earlier. All this is now possible with just a single device that is both ultra-compact and stylish.
- Sliding Direct PC Link
- The WS series audio devices feature a retractable USB port that slides out for easy access to personal computers. Its innovative design incorporates a USB connector directly on the body so the WS-801 can be plugged into the USB jack of virtually any PC. No extra software, cables or drivers are required. The computer instantly recognizes the unit, which then acts as an external drive to the PC, allowing files to be effortlessly dragged and dropped to and from the voice recorder. A USB extension cable is included for added convenience.
- Fast USB 2.0 Connection
- USB 2.0 high-speed delivers fast downloads and uploads of files to and from the WS-801. This feature enables users to connect with speed and ease, and once downloaded, files can be archived or emailed to friends and family.
- Large, Backlit LCD
- A large 1.43-inch backlit LCD screen adds to the user experience with its simple to navigate menu screen. The screen reveals file information, recording time and events with clarity. Larger font size further improves ease of use.
- Variable Control Voice Actuator (VCVA)
- VCVA sets the audio device to record automatically only when sound is detected at a pre-set level and stop when sound drops below the threshold level. The purpose of this function is to eliminate "dead air" during recordings, conserving memory and shortening file times.
- External Microphone Jack
- External Earphone Jack
- Index Marks
- Index Marks are digital tags that can be inserted while recording or during playback. They are used to skip forward and backward in recordings to pre-selected reference points. This eliminates guesswork on where a particular sound byte resides within a recording. Set up to 99 index marks per file with peace of mind.
- Fast and Slow Playback
- Fast and slow playback settings make note taking and transcription as easy and efficient as possible..
Olympus WS-801 Specifications
- Recording Format
- MP3 and WMA (Windows Media Audio)
- Recording Media
- 2GB integrated flash memory and micro SD card slot (memory card not included)
- Recording Times, Approximate
- MP3 192 kbps: Approximately 22 hours
MP3 128 kbps: Approximately 33 hours 30 minutes
WMA ST XQ mode: Approximately 32 hours 30 minutes
WMA ST HQ mode: Approximately 65 hours 30 minutes
WMA HQ mode: Approximately 131 hours
WMA SP mode: Approximately 258 hours
WMA LP mode: Approximately 514 hours
- PC Interface
- USB Storage class
- Folders / Messages
- 5 folders / Up to 200 files per folder for Voice
max. 300 Music folders
- Sampling Frequency
- ST XQ: 44.1 kHz / 128 kbps
ST HQ: 44.1 kHz / 64 kbps
HQ: 44.1 kHz / 32 kbps
SP: 22 kHz / 16 kbps
LP: 8 kHz / 8 kbps
MP3: 44.1 kHz / 128 kbps; 44.1 kHz / 192 kbps
- Overall Frequency Response
- MP3 192 kbps: 40-19,000 Hz
MP3 128 kbps: 40-17,000 Hz
WMA ST XQ mode: 40-19,000 Hz
WMA ST HQ mode: 40-16,000 Hz
WMA HQ mode: 40-13,000 Hz
WMA SP mode: 40-8,000 Hz
WMA LP mode: 40-3,000 Hz
- LP Mode
- Voice Activation
- Available, Switchable On/Off
- Demographic Data Input
- Practical Maximum Output
- 80 mW
- Built-in 18mm diameter round dynamic speaker
- Microphone Jack
- 3.5 mm
- Earphone Jack
- 3.5 mm
- Power Supply
- One AAA NiMH rechargeable battery (can be charged via USB) or one AAA alkaline (LR03 or R03) battery
- Battery Life
- Alkaline: Approximately 27 hours recording (LP mode)
- Dimensions (H x W x D)
- Approx. 3.9" x 1.6" x 0.6" (100.2 x 40 x 14.8 mm)
- Approx. 2.0 oz. (57g) including batteries