Olympus DS-5000 Digital Voice Recorder
Get Olympus DS-5000 Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Olympus
Authorized Internet etailer
and for Many Other Fine Brands!
The Olympus DS-5000 Digital Voice Recorder and the Olympus AS-5000 Transcription Kit are top-of-the-range solutions for across-the-board professional dictation requirements. Both the DS-5000 and the AS-5000 are complemented by the all-new DSS Player Pro software which provides added power and versatility to streamline workflow for more efficiency. With a focus on flexibility, security, simplicity and reliability, the DS-5000 incorporates numerous state-of-the-art features to boost the productivity of dictation-users in all types of small, medium and even large businesses. This is further enhanced when used in conjunction with the AS-5000 Transcription Kit. Dictation and transcription requirements are therefore seamlessly integrated into the daily office workflow.
The DS-5000's intuitive controls and single slide switch simplify operation. A large, backlit, easy-to-read LCD screen reveals file information, recording time and events on the front of the recorder. Centralized navigation buttons enable easy data input and changes of settings. Users new to digital dictation as well as those on the leading edge will appreciate the DS-5000's sophisticated feature set that can be customized to provide a seamless dictation solution suitable to their work environment. It is built to meet the needs of an active professional with an extremely durable slide switch mechanism and robust buttons, USB connector and battery door. Power conservation is also central to the DS-5000's intelligent design, and it can record for up to 28 hours from its rechargeable battery.
Protecting the confidentiality and security of recordings is essential in the workplace. For this reason, the DS-5000 incorporates numerous security features to ensure files are protected from unauthorized playback or duplication. For starters, the DS-5000 allows voice files to be encrypted and decrypted. Users can also set up password protection to secure the device from unauthorized access and protect confidential recordings.
Olympus DS-5000 Key Features
- True Slide Switch Control*
- A single slide switch allows the most common functions to be accessed in just a fraction of a second. It's contoured to the thumb for smooth control of record, stop, play and review functions all with the same switch.
- Optional Hands-Free Recording*
- The DS-5000 supports hands-free recording with the optional RS-27 footswitch. Connect the RS-27 to the cradle, place the recorder in the cradle and you are ready to go.
- Optional Barcode Scanner for Enhanced Workflow*
- The optional SC1 Barcode Scanner Module for the DS-5000, which plugs into the audio device's SD card slot, further enhances workflow for users who require a barcode scanner. The SC1 Barcode Scanner Module will be available summer 2008.
- Convenient USB Docking/Recharging Station Included*
- A new USB cradle enables users to easily dock and undock the device with one hand. While docked, the device is able to download and upload files and charge the included Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack. Hands-free recordings can be conveniently created when using an optional RS-27 foot switch in combination with the cradle.
* Items marked with asterisk above indicate key step-up features from the Olympus DS-3400 Digital Voice Recorder.
- Included Accessories
- CR-10 Multi-Function Docking Station / USB Cradle
- 512MB microSD Card (built-in, non-removeable, located behind battery compartment)
- A-513 AC Adapter
- BR-403 Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Leather Carrying Case
- KP-21 USB Cable
- DSS Player Pro R5 Dictation software CD-ROM
- User manual
- Warranty Card
- File Encryption and Decryption
- Business users often discuss matters that are highly confidential -- or at least not intended for everyone's ears. That's why the DS-5000 incorporates numerous security features to ensure files are protected from unauthorized playback or duplication. For starters, this model allows voice files to be encrypted and decrypted.
- Device Lock Function With Password Protection
- Users can set up password protection on their DS-5000 to secure the device from unauthorized access and protect confidential recordings.
- Records in New Digital Speech Standard Pro Format
- The DS-5000 features the DSS-Pro Digital Speech Standard with a new QP mode for improved sound quality. This mode records at a sampling rate of 16kHz with a compression rate of 28.0kbps and up to 32 index marks per file. In playback, the Smooth Cue/Review function makes it easier to hear words.
- Three Programmable Buttons
- Programmable buttons speed up reaction time increase the DS-5000's flexibility and reliability. Instead of having more buttons than necessary, the DS-5000 allows users to program the functions they use the most onto three buttons for quick and effortless use. The functions include: Index Mark, Record Mode, Microphone Sensitivity, Voice Activation, Display and more.
- Verbal Comment and Verbal Annotations Function
- Up to 32 verbal annotations can be appended to each file -- giving users the chance to add special notes or ideas to specific sections of previously captured recording. A handy verbal comment function additionally allows one overall remark to be attached to a dictation file, which can be used to give the transcriptionist general instructions, for example.
- SD/SDHC and microSD Card Removable Memory
- The DS-5000 accepts SD/SDHC and microSD memory cards, providing users with media versatility. Storage capacity is flexibly managed and can be extended at any time.
- Elegant and Durable Metal Body, Ergonomic Design
- A business tool is nothing if it is not dependable. Housed in a luxurious matt-black metal body that exudes elegance, the DS-5000 is built to meet the needs of an active professional with an extremely durable slide switch mechanism and robust buttons, USB connector and battery door. Its metal body protects it against the knocks and bumps of daily use. The slide switch mechanism, which runs on rubber rollers for virtually noise-free operation, has been thoroughly tested for extended use. The USB connector and battery door have been specifically designed for heavy-duty treatment. The DS-5000's intuitive controls and single slide switch simplify operation. The device has a large, backlit, easy-to-read LCD screen that reveals file information, recording time and events on the front of the recorder. Centralized navigation buttons enable easy data input and changes of settings. Users new to digital dictation as well as those on the leading edge will appreciate the DS-5000's sophisticated feature set that can be customized to provide a seamless dictation solution suitable to their work environment.
- Demographic Data Input - Author ID, Work Type, Date/Time, Priority, Index, etc.
- Up to 10 user IDs and 10 Work Types can be programmed on the recorder to support user environment where recorders are exchanged amongst professionals.
- Runs On Included Rechargeable Battery or Standard AAA Batteries
- On long days outside of the office that outlast the battery, professionals can quickly pop in cost-effective regular AAA batteries and keep on recording.
- Large Backlit LCD
- The DS-5000 features a large, backlit, easy-to-read LCD screen that reveals file information, recording time and events on the front of the recorder and has a speaker for audio playback on the back. The LCD is protected with a high-grade, coated screen.
- 28-Hour Extended Battery Life on One Charge of Included Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Power conservation is also central to the DS-5000's intelligent design. It can record for up to 28 hours from its rechargeable battery on a single charge.
- Up To Seven File Folders
- The DS-5000 recorder can categorically classify and store recording in any of the 7 different folders that can be programmed on the recorder. Each folder can store up to 200 messages.
- Easy Editing
- The DS-5000 allows for easy editing of existing recordings by appending, overwriting, inserting, and erasing or partial-erase of recording.
- Automatic Voice Activation
- The DS-5000's automatic voice activation keeps recordings free from dead space and saves recording capacity and time during transcription.
- Included DSS Player Pro Release 5 Software
- The included user-friendly DSS Player Pro Release 5 software facilitates the archiving, editing and further processing of recordings and is a powerful new dictation management tool. This will enable users to flexibly enhance their dictation workflow in a variety of IT environments -- no matter how small or large. The software supports multiple file formats including DSS Pro, DSS, WMA and WAV. Moreover, MP3 decoder support is also provided.
- Automatic Software and Firmware Updates
- Centralized firmware updates are possible with the DS-5000. DSS Player Pro will automatically update itself -- ensuring users always have the most up-to-date solution available to optimise office efficiency.
- USB 2.0 High-Speed Interface
- USB 2.0 High-Speed delivers fast downloads and uploads of files to and from the DS-5000. The USB interface is compatible with USB Mass Storage, Audio and HID classes to extend user options.
- Index Marks
- So that important parts can be easily found later on, users can set up to 32 index marks per file during recording.
- NEW Button
- Plug-in Module I/O Interface
- Centralized firmware updates are possible with thhe DS-5000. Ensuring the DS-5000 remains up-to-date even in years to come, a special I/O interface has been integrated, allowing plug-in modules of the future to be supported. Olympus will be introducing a barcode scanner module for the DS-5000 and DS-5000 in summer 2008 which will dock into the SD card slot.
- Draft Dictation Function
- Smooth Cue/Review
- In playback, the Smooth Cue/Review function makes it easier to hear words.
- Full Duplex USB Microphone / Speaker
- Direct Recording and Direct Transfer to a Personal Computer
- The DS-5000 is capable of recording direct to a personal computer without taking up any of the recorder's internal memory, as long as the USB cable is attached. For frequent travelers who want to save space in their carry-on luggage there is no need to take the docking station on the road, as the DS-5000 comes equipped with a USB cable that allows for the direct transfer of voice files to and from the device to the PC.
- Selectable Recording Modes and Recording Sensitivity
- Choose between two combinations of recording modes, SP or QP, and recording sensitivity, Dictate or Conference, to suit your recording needs.
- Trilingual Display
- The DS-5000 supports and displays language in English, French, and German.
Olympus DS-5000 Specifications
- Recording Format
- DS2 (Digital Speech Standard Pro), DSS
- Recording Media
- SD/SDHC, microSD Card: 512MB - 8GB
- Recording Time With built-in 512MB microSD Card
- QP mode: 38 hours, 45 minutes
SP mode: 79 hours, 30 minutes
- Input Level
- PC Interface
- Folders / Messages
- 1 to 7 Folders (Default: 5 folders) / 200 Messages per Folder
- Sampling Frequency
- QP mode: 16 kHz
SP mode: 12 kHz
- Overall Frequency Response
- QP mode: 200 to 7,000 Hz
SP mode: 200 to 5,000 Hz
- LP Mode
- Voice Activation
- Demographic Data Input
- Author ID, Work Type, Date/Time, Priority, Index, etc.
- Practical Maximum Output
- Max. 250 mW or more
- Write Protection
- Built-in 23mm round dynamic speaker
- Microphone Jack
- 3.5 mm mini-jack, impedance 2k Ohm
- Earphone Jack
- 3.5 mm mini-jack, impedance 8 Ohm or more
- Power Supply
- Rated Voltage: 5V DC
Batteries: Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Pack (BR403) or two (2) AAA Alkaline batteries or two (2) AAA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (BR401)
External Power Supply: A-513 AC Adapter
- Battery Life
- Alkaline - Recording: Approx. 32 hours, Playback: Approx. 13 hours (based on Olympus standard testing procedure)
NiMH - Recording: Approx. 28 hours, Playback: Approx. 10 hours (based on Olympus standard testing procedure)
- 4.5" H x 2.0" W x 0.7" D
- 3.9 oz. (including Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack BR403)
- OS Supported
- Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack4
Windows XP Professional/XP Home edition Service Pack2
Windows XP 64-bit
Windows Vista Ultimate/Enterprise/Business/Home Premium/Home Basic
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition/Enterprise 64-bit edition/Business 64-bit edition/Home Premium 64-bit edition/Home Basic 64-bit edition
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 x64 edition
Mac OS 10.3.9 - 10.5
- Windows 2000/XP: 500MHz processor or more
Windows Vista: 800MHz processor or more
Windows Server 2003: 550MHz processor or more
Mac: PowerPC G3; Intel Core/Duo
- Windows 2000/XP: 128MB or more
Windows Vista: 512MB or more
Windows Server 2003: 256MB or more
Mac: 256MB or more
- Video Card and Display
- Windows: 800 x 600 pixels or more, 65536 colors or more
Mac: 1024 x 768 pixels or more, 32000 colors or more
- Removable Drive
- CD, DVD drive
- USB Port
- one or more free ports
- Audio Output
- Windows: Windows-compatible sound device