Olympus VG-160 Digital Camera
Also available in Black, Silver and Orange.
Get Red Olympus VG-160 Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Olympus
and Many Other Fine Brands!
The Olympus VG-160 is a pocket-friendly, creativity-enabling, and budget-conscious camera aimed at photographers of all ages and experience levels. This smart, portable point-and-shoot camera offers incredible features that let you capture it all. The value begins with an impressive feature set that includes: 14 megapixels, a 5x wide-angle optical zoom lens, 720p HD video capture, and a large 3.0-inch LCD to capture and review your images. Add pocketable portability, Digital Image Stabilization, AF Tracking, and the shot-enhancing Magic Art Filters. Top this combination off with an affordable price, and you have a multi-function camera in a slim body that far surpasses other models in its class.
The 14-megapixel VG-160 sports a superb 5x optical zoom and a wide-angle lens (26 - 130mm equivalent in 35mm photography) packed into a super-slim body that gets you close to your subject. At just 0.76 inch deep, the VG-160 slips easily into your pocket, and includes all the capabilities you need in one compact camera. A large 3-inch LCD offers a clear preview of your images, and technological enhancements like AF Tracking, Shadow Adjustment Technology and Face Detection help you capture images just the way you intended. Intelligent Auto (iAuto) automatically recognizes shooting conditions that match any of 29 built-in scene modes, such as Self-Portrait, Landscape And Night + Portrait, and then adjusts the focus and exposure for the perfect balance of color and clarity. Whether you're capturing the kids on a playground, or taking pictures at a birthday party, the Olympus VG-160's iAuto will optimize your camera's settings to ensure capture your everyday moments with ease.
Olympus VG-160 Key Features
- Olympus VG-160 Digital Camera Supplied Accessories:
- LI-70B Lithium-Ion Battery
- F-2AC In-Camera Battery Charger
- USB Cable
- Audio/Video Cable
- Wrist Strap
- OLYMPUS [ib] software CD
- Instruction Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
- Designed-to-be-Digital Optics - 5x Optical Zoom Wide-Angle Lens, 20x Total Seamless Zoom
- This pocket-sized camera offers an impressive 5x wide-angle optical zoom lens (26 - 130mm equivalent in 35mm photography) captures expansive vistas, large groups of family and friends, and also zooms in on distant objects to make them appear as though they are right in front of you. The 5x zoom lets you get close to your subject while the 26mm wide-angle lens lets you zoom out for panoramas, group shots and portrait pictures.
- 720p HD Movie
- The Olympus VG-160 shoots gorgeous 720p HD video, so you'll always capture the moments you cherish in clear, crisp high-definition at the touch of a button. Gone are the days of friends and family huddling around your camera's tiny LCD to see the pictures and movies you just captured. Now, you'll be the hit of the party or any family event when you proudly display your brilliant images and movies on high-definition televisions.
- 14 Megapixel CCD (Effective)
- The 14.0-megapixel CCD image sensor delivers superior image quality capturing the most subtle details that are consistently sharp and vivid, even in large-format prints or when the image is cropped.
- AF Tracking
- AF Tracking technology locks your subject in focus, and continuously adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject are moving. This mode can remember the subject if it moves out of the frame. This enables you to keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects like small children in focus for the perfect shot. There's even a specially designed AF Tracking Pet Mode for animal lovers.
- 3-inch LCD
- Composing your shot has never been easier. With a large 3.0-inch LCD display, finding that perfect shot is a breeze. See what you've been missing with smaller displays! This large, crisp LCD is the perfect creative companion for reviewing your work on the fly and boasting your creativity to others.
- 26 Selectable Shooting Modes Including 14 Scene Preset Modes and 7 Creative Art Filters
- With 26 shooting modes including Intelligent Auto and pre-programmed scene modes, such as Beach & Snow, Night, Sunset, and Fireworks, the VG-160 makes it easy to capture beautiful images in a variety of lighting and shooting situations. Get the best result in any situation with advanced options -- landscape, portrait, indoor, sunset and more.
- Intelligent Auto Mode
- Taking a moonlit stroll on the beach? With the Intelligent Auto Mode in Olympus cameras your camera knows and it automatically identifies what you are shooting (i.e., Portrait, Night + Portrait, Landscape and Sports) and adjusts the camera's settings to capture the best quality results. First-time users can jump into this quick and hassle-free feature that does the thinking for them and produces incredible images.
- Advanced Face Detection Auto Focus and Auto Exposure
- Face Detection Technology tracks up to 8 faces within the frame and automatically focuses (Face Detection AF) and optimizes exposure (Face Detection AE) for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures. Even if your subjects are moving, the camera continuously tracks your subjects' faces without having to press the shutter button.
- In-Camera Magic Art Filters
- In-camera Creative Filters debuted on Olympus E-System DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras. Similar in-camera Magic Art Filters have been developed for the VG-160. Magic Art Filters enable the user to enhance and customize images as they're being captured. This translates into more fun and flexibility as customization is no longer limited to using expensive and time-consuming computer software. The Magic Art Filters include:
- Pop Art: Enhance and saturate colors to create vivid, high-impact pictures that express the joyful, lighthearted feeling of the Pop Art style of the 1960s
- Pin Hole: Reduce the peripheral brightness of an image as though it were shot through a pin hole, connecting the viewer intimately with the subject at the center
- Fish-Eye: Emulate the wide-angle of a fish-eye lens by taking extremely wide, hemispherical images and magnifying the center of the frame.
- Drawing: Turn your image into a sketch outline for children to color.
- Soft Focus: Creates a soft tone that gives pictures an ethereal, otherworldly atmosphere. It renders pictures as though they were veiled in heavenly light, without obscuring details such as hair or flower petals.
- Punk: Creates a two-tone image with a classic punk rock feel
- Sparkle: Adds a twinkle to your photos
- Digital Image Stabilization
- The VG-160 features Digital Image Stabilization (DIS) to capture crisp, clear pictures. By boosting the camera's ISO sensitivity and shutter speed, DIS freezes the action and provides virtually blur-free images, even when you or your subject is moving.
- In-Camera Help Guide
- The In-Camera Help Guide displays a brief description of camera settings and features on the LCD allowing consumers to easily adjust ISO and white balance settings using the Program Auto mode. Additionally, Exposure Compensation enables users to preview and select various exposure effects on a live, multi-frame window on the LCD before snapping the shot. This smart feature allows users to see precisely what the image will look like when adjustments are made, ensuring they are capturing the exact image desired. Program Auto and Exposure Compensation are great modes that enable novice users to get results like the pros while learning about the effects of different photography techniques. Menus are available in various languages for convenient operation.
- Shadow Adjustment Technology
- Shooting outdoors in bright daylight can be tricky because of the extreme contrast between dark shadowed areas and bright sunlit areas. While the human eye is capable of detecting the nuances between dark and light and all the details in between, image sensors traditionally have not been quite as sensitive. The new V-series cameras address this challenge head-on with Shadow Adjustment Technology, which compensates for extreme contrast where the shadow areas are underexposed and lack visible detail. With this technology, users can preview and capture images with the same contrast as the naked eye.
- 49 MB Available Built-in Internal Memory
- You can capture images even when no media card is in the camera. The VG-160 comes with 49 MB of internal memory.
- SD / SDHC Memory Card Compatible
- The Olympus VG-160 digital compact camera offers SD / SDHC Memory Card capability for up to 32 gigabytes of capacity.
- OLYMPUS [ib] Software
- The VG-160 comes with OLYMPUS [ib] software. The software includes photography workflow, browsing, editing and unique photo organizing functions. You can organize your photos by person with automatic face recognition technology, by location with a Geotagging function or by event. You can easily view photos on an HDTV or on the camera's LCD with the Photo Surfing or Slideshow functions. The name [ib] stands for image bridging, image browsing and image brightening. The software is available for Windows operating systems only.
- Easy Direct Print Capability
- The power of PictBridge technology enables photos to be printed directly from the camera to any PictBridge-enabled printer, such as the Olympus P-11 Digital Photo Printer, without using a computer. And the new one-touch printing button makes printing a single-step process. Printing and sharing images has never been easier!
- Auto-Connect USB 2.0 High Speed
- Transferring images to the computer has never been easier with the Auto-Connect USB 2.0 that does not require software drivers (for most computers/operating systems) for hassle-free and high-speed image downloads.
- Built-in Multi-Mode Flash
- The VG-160 camera has a built-in flash that offers settings to provide a wide range of options.
- Auto Flash fires automatically in low light or back-light, to help ensure the illumination is appropriate.
- Red-Eye Reduction Flash Mode emits a series of pre-flashes right before the shutter snaps, allowing the subject's eyes to adjust to the light level of the flash -- reducing the red-eye effect.
- Fill-In Flash Mode (forced on) adds light to eliminate shadows, for a more natural look in photos when your subject is in both bright light and dark shadow.
- Flash Off Mode is available when flash photography is not permitted or to allow for long exposures for shots like sunsets and night scenes.
Olympus VG-160 Specifications
- CCD Imager:
- 14.0 megapixels effective, 14.5 megapixels total, 1/2.3" (1.1cm) CCD
- 4.7 - 23.5 mm (26mm - 130mm equivalent in 35mm photography), 7 lenses in 5 groups, 5 Aspherical glass elements
- 5x Optical Zoom + 4x Digital Zoom (Seamless to 20x)
- Aperture Range:
- f2.8 (W) / f6.5 (T)
- 3.0" (7.6cm) LCD, approx. 230,000 pixels, 2 Steps Brightness Adjustment
- Focusing System:
- CCD Contrast detection
- Focusing Ranges (from lens surface):
- Normal Mode: (Wide) 23.6" - infinity (60cm - infinity)
(Tele) 39.4" - infinity (1.0m - infinity)
Macro Mode: (Wide) 7.9" - infinity (20cm - infinity)
(Tele) 23.6" - infinity (60cm - infinity)
Super Macro Mode: 2.76" - infinity (7cm - infinity)
- Focus Modes:
- iESP Auto, Spot AF, Face Detection AF, AF Tracking
- Shutter Speeds:
- 1/2000 sec. - 1/2 sec. (up to 4 sec. in Candle Scene Mode)
- Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 equivalent (SOS: Standard Output Sensitivity)
- Metering Modes:
- Digital ESP Metering
- Exposure Compensation:
- ±2 EV steps in 1/3 EV steps
- White Balance System:
- Auto, One-touch, Pre-set (Overcast, Daylight, Tungsten, and 3 Fluorescents)
- Recording Modes:
- Still image: JPEG
Movie: AVI Motion JPEG
- Adjustable Resolutions:
- 14MP (4,288 x 3216)
8MP (3,264 x 2,448
5MP (2,560 x 1,920
3MP (2,048 x 1,536)
2MP (1,600 x 1,200)
1MP (1,280 x 960)
VGA (640 x 480)
16:9 L (4,288 x 2,416)
16:9 S (1,920 x 1,080)
- Motion Blur Suppression
- Digital Image Stabilization
- Shooting Modes:
- 26 Shooting Modes: Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, Digital Image Stabilization, 7 Magic Filters (Pop Art, Pinhole, Fisheye, Drawing, Soft Focus, Punk, Sparkle), 14 Scene Presets (Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Night & Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Candle, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Documents, Pet, Beach & Snow, Self Portrait), Panorama, Movie
- PC Panorama (Up to 10 frames automatically stitchable with ib software)
- Continuous Shooting:
- 10 frames per second / 200 images (3M)
2.4 frames per second / 200 images (5M)
0.8 frames per second / 200 images (14M)
- Movie Mode:
- AVI Movie with Sound
1280 X 720 (720p)
640 x 480 (VGA)
320 x 240 (QVGA)
- Image Processing:
- Noise Reduction:
- Image Playback:
- Still Image: Single, Index Display (4x3, 6x5)), Event, Up to 10x Enlargement, Slideshow, Rotation, Protection
Movie: Normal, Fast-Forward, Reverse, Frame-by-Frame, Voice Playback
- Playback Edit Effects:
- Still Image: Resize, Cropping
- Built-in Flash
- Built-in Flash Modes:
- Auto (for low light and back lit conditions), Red-Eye Reduction, Fill-in, Off
- Flash Working Range (ISO 800):
- Wide: 7.87 inches / 20 cm - 15.75 feet / 4.8 m
Tele: 1.97 feet / 0.6 cm - 6.89 feet / 2.1 m
- 12 / 2 seconds
- 49 MB internal memory
- Removable Media Card:
- SD / SDHC Card
- Outer Connectors:
- Multi-Terminal: USB Connector, Audio/Video Output)
- Auto-Connect USB:
- USB 2.0 Full Speed (USB Mass Storage)
- System Requirements:
- Auto-connect USB: Windows 2000/XP/VISTA/7 with USB port, Mac OS X 10.3 or later with USB port
Software: Windows 2000PRO/XP/VISTA/7, Mac OS X v10.3 - 10.5
- Operating Environment:
- Operation: 32º - 104ºF (0º - 40ºC), 30 - 90% humidity
Storage: -4º - 140ºF (-20º - 60ºC), 10 - 90% humidity
- Power Supply:
- Li-ion Rechargeable Battery (LI-70B)
- Size (W x H x D):
- Approximately 3.8" x 2.2" x 0.8" (96 x 56.5 x 19.3 mm)
- Approximately 4.2 oz. (125 g) including batteries and media card