Olympus SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS Digital Camera
Also available in black model.
Get Olympus SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Olympus
and Many Other Fine Brands!
The Olympus Stylus SP-820UZ iHS is Olympus' flagship Ultra Zoom compact camera, and most powerful optical zoom ever! The Olympus SP-820UZ iHS magnifies subjects up to 40x to capture a level of detail and emotion normally possible only with an interchangeable telephoto lens. With Super-Resolution Zoom, the focus distance is doubled, enabling up to 80x zoom magnification. Beyond its incredible zoom power, bringing the action closer from hundreds of feet away without swapping lenses, the camera's impressive 22.4mm (35mm equivalent) super wide-angle lens takes in sweeping panoramas, group portraits and up-close macro images, so sports fans, travelers and outdoor enthusiasts alike will enjoy maximum performance wherever they go.
The Stylus SP-820UZ's outstanding optics are matched by Olympus' advanced iHS (Intelligent, High-Sensitivity and High-Speed) technologies, a high-sensitivity 14-Megapixel CMOS sensor that combines with the TruePic V image processor for faster reaction times, radiant colors, and beautiful, sharp images of fast-moving subjects and low-light, backlit scenes. High-speed, adjustable-frame rate 1080p Full HD and High-Speed Video (240fps HSQVGA) recording captures video with the best image quality currently available in compact cameras. Photo with video clip captures a video clip before, and after you take the shot. Dual Image Stabilization and Multi-Motion Movie Image Stabilization minimize camera shake even while the user is moving. Linear PCM audio recording, a technology pioneered by Olympus and incorporated in its line of professional audio recording devices enhances your videos with better-than-CD quality audio. With HDMI output and control, you can use your HDTV's remote to control playback functions and navigate the camera's menus from the comfort of your couch.
Olympus SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS Key Features
- Olympus SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS Digital Camera Supplied Accessories:
- Four AA Batteries
- CB-USB6 USB Cable
- Protective Lens Cap
- Wrist Strap
- Instruction Manual and Software CD
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
- Designed-to-be-Digital Optics - 40x Optical Zoom Wide-Angle ED Glass Lens, 160x Total Seamless Zoom
- Optical precision is the foundation for creating quality images. First to introduce the Ultra Zoom category in 2000, Olympus once again delivers a designed-to-be-digital optical zoom lens to bring the action closer in an ergonomic body that's easy to handle. The SP-820UZ features a 40x wide-angle optical-zoom lens. The bright, f3.4 / 5.7 lens provides the equivalent of 22.4 - 896mm focal length in 35mm photography. Users can get close to the action with the compact 40x super telephoto zoom and at the same time, the wide-angle (22.4mm equivalent) lens captures more in each frame. Its super-macro capabilities capture the subtlest details. The compact lens construction combines aspherical lens elements and an extra-low dispersion (ED) lens element to deliver edge-to-edge sharpness and clarity. Whether it is capturing fast-action sports or everyday snapshots, this sturdy compact body with a wide-angle and telephoto lens provides the versatility to get the job done.
Olympus photos are known worldwide for sharp, vibrant image quality. The compact, precision-crafted lens combines high-refractive, aspherical and extra-dispersion (ED) lens elements to deliver edge-to-edge sharpness and clarity. Whether it is capturing fast-action sports or for everyday use, this sturdy compact body with a wide-angle and telephoto lens provides the versatility to get the job done.
- Dual Image Stabilization
- The SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS features an advanced combination of mechanical CCD-shift Image Stabilization and Digital Image Stabilization. CCD-shift Image Stabilization uses built-in electro-gyro sensors to record camera movement and adjust the CCD image sensor. This ensures that light remains centered on the image sensor to maintain image clarity despite a slight movement on the part of the photographer. Digital Image Stabilization Mode boosts ISO sensitivity and shutter speed so that images remain crisp and clear -- free from the blur caused by moving subjects. The combination of the two Image Stabilization Technologies ensures the best image clarity in virtually any shooting environment. Dual Image Stabilization technology enables users to take crisp, clear pictures in virtually any shooting situation -- adjusting for camera shake and a moving subject.
- One-Touch 1080p Full HD Movie and HDMI Control
- The SP-820UZ shoots gorgeous 1080p HD videos, so you'll never miss the chance to capture the scene. Activating HD recording is incredibly easy with a dedicated one-touch button, and playback is also a breeze. Now, you'll be the hit of the party or any family function when you proudly display your brilliant images and videos on high-definition televisions. Simply connect the camera to an HDTV with an HDMI™ cable, which can be purchased separately at any consumer electronics store. With HDMI Control, you can use your HDTV's remote to control playback functions and navigate the camera's menus from the comfort of your favorite couch. With One-Touch HD Movie you can record widescreen, crystal clear full HD movies right from your camera.
With Linear PCM recording, the same technology used in Olympus's professional voice recorders, your HD Videos will be accompanied by higher-than-CD quality audio. HDMI output and control makes playing back videos on your HDTV a breeze. Want high speed recording for slow motion playback? The SP-820 is equipped with HS QVGA recording up to 240 frames per second.
- Multi-Motion Movie IS
- When you're walking and capturing videos at the same time, blur can be a big problem. Not with Multi-motion Movie IS. This advanced image stabilization technology counteracts blurring even with slow-moving subjects, long shots and pans. It's ideal for making dynamic, spontaneous movies when you're on the move -- and invariably don't have a tripod.
- 3-inch Widescreen LCD
- The SP-820UZ boasts a bright 3-inch advanced high-resolution 460,000-pixel LCD monitor ideal for viewing and composing all your favorite images and HD videos in vivid color even in bright sunlight. Its extra-wide viewing angle makes for easier composing and shooting. Its 16:9 aspect ratio is perfect for watching the high-definition movies you capture.
- iHS Technology
- Thanks to the iHS (Intelligent, High-Sensitivity and High-Speed) family of technologies, the Olympus Stylus SP-820UZ iHS has brains as well as brawn. iHS harnesses the power of a 14-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and the TruePic V image processor (originally developed for DSLR cameras) to dramatically improve low-light performance, speed up camera response time, enhance scene and subject recognition and double zoom magnification without losing image quality. iHS powers a number of Olympus features that take all the work out of capturing difficult shots. HDR Backlight Adjustment takes a collage of separate photos and blends them into one perfectly exposed image regardless of difficult lighting. Multi-Motion Movie IS (Image Stabilization) records virtually blur-free videos even when you're moving. The versatile lens on the Olympus SP-820UZ iHS pulls out wide or zooms in twice as close with its 80x Super-Resolution Zoom that digitally extends the range of the optical zoom with nearly no loss of image quality. Capture beautiful images and videos effortlessly; Enhanced iAuto enables the camera to automatically detect 30 different scenes (portrait, landscape, macro, etc.)
- 14 Megapixel (Effective) High-Sensitivity CMOS
- The 14.0-megapixel high-resolution CMOS image sensor delivers superior image quality capturing the most subtle details that are consistently sharp and vivid, even in large-format prints or when the image is cropped.
- AF Tracking
- AF Tracking technology locks your subject in focus, and continuously adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject are moving. This mode can remember the subject if it moves out of the frame. This enables you to keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects like small children in focus for the perfect shot. There's even a specially designed AF Tracking Pet Mode for animal lovers.
- Advanced Face Detection Auto Focus and Auto Exposure
- Face Detection Technology tracks up to 16 faces within the frame and automatically focuses (Face Detection AF) and optimizes exposure (Face Detection AE) for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures. Even if your subjects are moving, the camera continuously tracks your subjects' faces without having to press the shutter button.
- TruePic V Image Processor
- The high-sensitivity 14-Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with the TruePic V image processor for faster reaction times, radiant colors, and beautiful, sharp images of fast-moving subjects and low-light, backlit scenes. The TruePic V Image Processor, first developed for professional digital SLRs, knows precisely how to deliver true-to-life color, the sharpest details and less noise.
- 34 Selectable Shooting Modes Including Scene Preset Modes And Magic Art Filters
- With 34 shooting modes including Intelligent Auto and pre-programmed scene modes, such as Beach & Snow, Night Scene, Sunset, and Fireworks, the SP-820UZ iHS makes it easy to capture beautiful images in a variety of lighting and shooting situations. Get the best result in any situation with advanced options -- landscape, portrait, indoor, sunset and more.
- Twelve In-Camera Magic Art Filters For Stills And Movies
- In-camera Creative Features debuted on Olympus E-System DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras. Similar in-camera Magic Art Filters have been developed for the SP-820UZ. Magic Filters enable the user to enhance and customize images as they're being captured. This translates into more fun and flexibility as customization is no longer limited to using expensive and time-consuming computer software. Some filters restrict maximum image size. Not all effects are compatible with video recording. The Magic Filters include:
- Pop Art: Enhance and saturate colors to create vivid, high-impact pictures that express the joyful, lighthearted feeling of the Pop Art style of the 1960s
- Pin Hole: Reduce the peripheral brightness of an image as though it were shot through a pin hole, connecting the viewer intimately with the subject at the center
- Fish-Eye: Emulate the wide-angle of a fish-eye lens by taking extremely wide, hemispherical images and magnifying the center of the frame.
- Drawing: Turn your image into a sketch outline for children to color.
- Soft Focus: Creates a soft tone that gives pictures an ethereal, otherworldly atmosphere. It renders pictures as though they were veiled in heavenly light, without obscuring details such as hair or flower petals.
- Punk: Creates a two-tone image with a classic punk rock feel
- Watercolor: Transforms images into frame-worthy art with a finish like that of watercolor paintings
- Sparkle: Adds a twinkle to your photos
- Miniature: Narrows the depth of focus and enhances color and contrast to convert your real-life images to look like a magical toy world
- Reflection: Adds a reflection to your subject as though it were standing over a glassy, still lake
- Fragmented: Creates a collage of tiles, as if the original photo had been cut up and reassembled. Gives the shot a lively new look and feel with a three-dimensional texture.
- Dramatic: Boosts the contrast to give images a more dynamic atmosphere.
- Enhanced Intelligent Auto Mode
- Taking a moonlit stroll on the beach? With the Intelligent Auto Mode in Olympus cameras your camera knows and it automatically identifies what you are shooting (i.e., Portrait, Night + Portrait, Landscape, Macro and Sports) and adjusts the camera's settings to capture the best quality results. First-time users can jump into this quick and hassle-free feature that does the thinking for them and produces incredible images. Enhanced iAuto enables the camera to automatically detect 30 different scenes (portrait, landscape, macro, etc.)
- Backlight HDR Adjustment
- Shooting into backlight typically results in washed out, overly bright images. Backlight HDR Adjustment takes a collage of images at various exposure levels and blends them into one, perfectly exposed image.
- Hand Held Starlight
- Capture vivid night scenes without the use of a tripod. In low-light situations where image blur is more likely to occur, Hand-Held Starlight mode captures multiple images and stitches them together into a single, crisp, breathtaking photo.
- Smart Panorama
- Capture breathtaking 360-degree panoramic views and vistas just as you remember them, all in one frame and at the touch of a button, by simply panning the camera across the scene. No computer necessary!
- Eye-Fi Card Compatibility
- Ready to upload and share images of your adventures live, as they happen? The SP-820UZ is compatible with Eye-Fi SD cards (sold separately) adding Wi-Fi capability to the camera, enabling you to automatically upload images to your computer as you take them. Share your pictures of sandcastles right from the beach by uploading your shots immediately.
- 43 GB Available Built-in Internal Memory
- You can capture images even when no media card is in the camera. The SP-820UZ comes with 43 GB of internal memory.
- SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card Compatible
- The Olympus SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS digital compact camera offers SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card capability for up to 64 gigabytes of capacity.
- Beauty Mode
- Beauty mode touches up the appearance of subjects even while the shot is being taken. This feature recognises faces and automatically makes skin on the face and adjacent areas appear smoother, brighter and more youthful. It enables you to soften shadows and smooth wrinkles or blemishes on your subject's face -- all in the camera and as you capture the image. Additionally, subtle edits can be made post-capture using the Beauty Fix mode. Choose Clear Skin to smooth a person's complexion, Dramatic Eye to slightly emphasize the eyes, and Sparkle Eye to brighten and enhance the contrast of the iris and pupils. You can also apply all three edits at once.
- Shadow Adjustment Technology
- Shooting outdoors in bright daylight can be tricky because of the extreme contrast between dark shadowed areas and bright sunlight areas -- while the human eye is capable of detecting the nuances between dark and light and all the details in between, image sensors traditionally have not been quite as sensitive. The SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS addresses this challenge head-on with Shadow Adjustment Technology, which compensates for extreme contrast where the shadow areas are underexposed and lack visible detail. With this technology, users can preview and capture images that have the same contrast as seen with the naked eye. Combined with Face Detection Auto Focus and Auto Exposure, the SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS captures smiles in shadows without getting a dark image in difficult lighting such as in backlight situations. The technology can also be turned off for any shooting situation where shadows are a key element of a photograph's drama.
- Photo With Video Clip
- Catch all the action before and after your shot! When the Photo with Video Clip mode is enabled on the dial, the camera automatically captures a short video before and after the shutter button is released.
- Pet Scene Modes
- When your favorite furry friend won't "Sit" or "Stay," you'll love these convenient scene mode options with AF tracking. Once the camera recognizes the subject, the AF target mark automatically tracks its movement in order to maintain continuous focus.
- Easy Direct Print Capability
- The power of PictBridge technology enables photos to be printed directly from the camera to any PictBridge-enabled printer, such as the Olympus P-11 Digital Photo Printer, without using a computer. And the new one-touch printing button makes printing a single-step process. Printing and sharing images has never been easier!
- Auto-Connect USB 2.0 High Speed
- Transferring images to the computer has never been easier with the Auto-Connect USB 2.0 that does not require software drivers (for most computers/operating systems) for hassle-free and high-speed image downloads.
- Histogram Function
- The SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS's Histogram function provides real-time access to exposure information so users can confirm exposure before snapping the picture. A histogram displayed on the LCD makes detection of over- and under-exposed areas simple with red and blue highlighting so users can make adjustments.
- Built-in Multi-Mode Flash
- The SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS camera has a built-in flash that offers settings to provide a wide range of options.
- Auto Flash fires automatically in low light or back-light, to help ensure the illumination is appropriate.
- Red-Eye Reduction Flash Mode emits a series of pre-flashes right before the shutter snaps, allowing the subject's eyes to adjust to the light level of the flash -- reducing the red-eye effect.
- Fill-In Flash Mode (forced on) adds light to eliminate shadows, for a more natural look in photos when your subject is in both bright light and dark shadow.
- Flash Off Mode is available when flash photography is not permitted or to allow for long exposures for shots like sunsets and night scenes.
- Digital ESP Multi-Pattern and Spot Metering
- Multi-Point Metering enables separate points in the image area to be averaged for proper exposures in the most difficult lighting conditions.
Olympus SP-820 Ultra Zoom iHS Specifications
- Image Sensor:
- 14.0 megapixel effective, 1/2.3" (1.1cm) CMOS Sensor, 15.3 gross megapixels, Primary color filter
- 4.0 - 160.0 mm (22.4 - 896 mm equivalent in 35mm photography), 14 lenses in 9 groups, 4 aspherical lenses, 3 ED lens
- 40x Optical Zoom + 4x Digital Zoom (Seamless to 160x)
Super Resolution Zoom: 2x / 80x combined with optical zoom
- Aperture Range:
- f3.4 (W) / f5.7 (T)
- 3.0" (7.6cm) TFT LCD, approx. 460,000 pixels, ±2 Steps Brightness Adjustment
- Focusing System:
- CMOS Contrast detection
- Focusing Ranges (from lens surface):
- Normal Mode: (Wide) 3.9 in. - infinity (10cm - infinity)
(Tele) 9.8 ft. - infinity (3.0m - infinity)
Macro Mode: (Wide) 3.9 in. - infinity (10cm - infinity)
(Tele) 9.8 ft. - infinity (3.0m - infinity)
Super Macro Mode: 0.39" - infinity (1cm - infinity) f=5.73mm (focal length fixed)
- Focus Modes:
- iESP Auto, Spot AF, Face Detection AF, AF Tracking
- Shutter Speeds:
- 1/2000 sec. - 1/4 sec. (up to 4 sec. in Night Scene Mode)
- ISO Sensitivity:
- Auto, High ISO Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 (SOS: Standard Output Sensitivity)
- Metering Modes:
- Digital ESP Metering, Spot Metering
- Exposure Compensation:
- ±2 EV steps in 1/3 EV steps
- White Balance System:
- Auto, Pre-set (Overcast, Daylight, Tungsten, and Fluorescent 1), One-touch white balance (2 custom settings can be registered)
- Recording Modes:
- Still image: JPEG
Movie: MOV / H.264
- Adjustable Resolutions:
- 14MP (4,288 x 3,216)
8MP (3,264 x 2,448)
5MP (2,560 x 1,920)
3MP (2,048 x 1,536)
2MP (1,600 x 1,200)
1MP (1,280 x 960)
VGA (640 x 480)
16:9 L (4,288 x 2,416)
16:9 S (1,920 x 1,080)
- Motion Blur Suppression
- Dual Image Stabilization
- Shooting Modes:
- 34 Shooting Modes: Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, Beauty Mode, Panorama, Hand-Held Starlight, Photo+Video Clip, 15 Scene Presets (Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Night & Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Documents, Beach & Snow, Self Portrait, Pet (Cat) and Pet (Dog), Backligh HDR), 12 Magic Art Filters (Pop Art, Pinhole, Fisheye, Drawing, Soft Focus, Punk, Watercolor, Reflection, Sparkle, Miniature, Fragmented, Dramatic), HD Movie
- In-Camera Panorama (Smart Panorama), PC Panorama (Up to 10 frames automatically stitchable with ib software)
- Continuous Shooting
- Approx. 1.5 fps / 200 images (14 MB)
Approx. 3.0 fps / 3 images (14 MB)
Approx. 10.0 fps / 34 images (3 MB)
Approx. 30.0 fps / 34 images (3 MB)
- Shooting Assist Functions:
- Histogram, Frame Assist, Voice Recording
- Movie Mode
- 1080p, 720p, HS 720 60fps, HS VGA 120fps, HS QVGA 240fps, VGA
- Image Processing:
- TruePic™ V Image Processor
- Noise Reduction:
- Set automatically at shutter speeds of 0.5 seconds or longer in specific scene modes: Night Scene, Night + Portrait, Sunset and Fireworks
- Image Playback:
- Still Image: Single, Index Display (5 x 4 frames)), 1.1x to 10x Enlargement, Slideshow, Event, Auto Rotation, Protection, Histogram, Voice Playback
Movie: Normal, Fast-Forward, Reverse, Frame-by-Frame
- Playback Edit Effects:
- Still Image: Beauty Fix, Resize, Cropping, Saturation
- Built-in Flash
- Built-in Flash Modes:
- Auto (for low light and back lit conditions), Red-Eye Reduction, Fill-in, Off
- Built-in Flash Working Range
- Wide: 7.9 in (0.2 m) - 49.2 ft (15.0 m) at ISO 3200
Tele: 9.8 ft (3.0 m) - 29.2 ft (8.9 m) at ISO 3200
- 12 / 2 seconds; Pet auto-shutter
- 43 GB internal memory
- Removable Media Card:
- SD/SDHC/SDXC Card (UHS speed class not supported)
- Outer Connectors:
- Multi-Terminal: USB Connector, Audio/Video Output)
HDMI Type D
- Auto-Connect USB:
- USB 2.0 Full Speed (USB Mass Storage)
- System Requirements:
- Auto-Connect USB:
Windows® 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows XP Service Pack 2 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 2000 with USB port
Mac OS X 10.3 or later with USB port
Windows® 7, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Professional;
Mac OS X 10.3 - 10.5
- Power Supply:
- Four AA batteries Alkaline or Ni-MH
- Size (W x H x D):
- 4.6 x 3.1 x 3.7" (117mm x 78mm x 93mm)
- 17.1 oz. (485 g) including batteries and media card