Olympus SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom Digital Camera
Also available in black model.
Get Silver Olympus SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Olympus
and Many Other Fine Brands!
The Olympus full-featured SP-720UZ is a lightweight, 26x wide-angle ultra-zoom camera with 14-megapixel image resolution and 1080p HD Video capability, delivering the celebrated strengths of this pioneering family of cameras: sophisticated long-zoom, go-anywhere photography. The SP-720UZ packs fun features and superb image quality in a user-friendly camera, providing further proof that Olympus lets you capture it all.
Whether shooting wildlife, a school performance or a soccer game, photographers want powerful zooms without the bulk. The SP-720UZ comes packed with a variety of features that deliver a superior imaging experience far and wide. Magic Filters make it possible to create special artistic effects in still images and/or movies directly in the camera. HD Movie & HDMI™ Control deliver a broadcast-quality movie experience when played back on an HDTV. 3D Photo Mode captures two shots of a scene from two different angles to create still photos that can be viewed with the added excitement and realism of 3D. Eye-Fi™ Card Compatibility enables automatic wireless uploading of images to the website or PC of your choice. In-Camera Panorama offers quick and easy panorama shots and AF Tracking tracks a moving subject automatically and keeps it in focus for optimal image quality.
Olympus SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom Key Features
- Olympus SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom Digital Camera Supplied Accessories:
- Li-50B Rechargeable Battery
- F-2AC Battery Charger
- USB Cable
- Audio/Video Cable
- Neck Strap
- Instruction Manual
- OLYMPUS [ib] software CD
- Warranty Card
- Designed-to-be-Digital Optics - 26x Optical Zoom Wide-Angle Lens, 104x Total Seamless Zoom
- Optical precision is the foundation for creating quality images. First to introduce the Ultra Zoom category in 2000, Olympus once again delivers a designed-to-be-digital optical zoom lens to bring the action closer in an ergonomic body that's easy to handle. The SP-720UZ packs a 26x wide-angle optical zoom lens into a compact, easy-to-hold body. With an f3.2 (Wide) / f5.6 (Tele) wide-angle lens providing the equivalent of a 26 - 676 mm focal length, users can get closer to the action with zoom performance comparable to that of a 600mm equivalent telephoto lens for Digital Single lens Reflex (DSLR) cameras. The 26mm equivalent wide-angle lens makes it easy to take a picture of the entire stadium, while the powerful zoom lets you focus on your favorite player. Whether capturing fast-action, life's everyday snapshots or HD videos, this S-series camera provides the versatility to get the job done like never before.
- Dual Image Stabilization
- The SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom features an advanced combination of mechanical CCD-shift Image Stabilization and Digital Image Stabilization. CCD-shift Image Stabilization uses built-in electro-gyro sensors to record camera movement and adjust the CCD image sensor. This ensures that light remains centered on the image sensor to maintain image clarity despite a slight movement on the part of the photographer. Digital Image Stabilization Mode boosts ISO sensitivity and shutter speed so that images remain crisp and clear -- free from the blur caused by moving subjects. The combination of the two Image Stabilization Technologies ensures the best image clarity in virtually any shooting environment. Dual Image Stabilization technology enables users to take crisp, clear pictures in virtually any shooting situation -- adjusting for camera shake and a moving subject.
- 3D Photo Mode
- Now you can add even more dimension to your photographs by shooting dynamic 3D photos in any mode from macro to landscape, and even under water. Recreate a sense of depth like that of the original scene. Catch a shot of your friends jumping into the water and view it in 3D. Simply select the 3D Photo Mode on your SP-720UZ, release the shutter for your first shot, and slowly pan until the camera automatically takes a second image from a slightly different perspective. The 3D data is processed in-camera resulting in an .MPO file, the universal industry 3D format for easy display on 3D televisions or laptops.
- Eye-Fi Card Compatibility
- Ready to upload and share images of your adventures live, as they happen? The SP-720UZ is compatible with Eye-Fi SD cards (sold separately) adding Wi-Fi capability to the camera, enabling you to automatically upload images to your computer as you take them. Share your pictures of sandcastles right from the beach by uploading your shots immediately.
- 3-inch Widescreen LCD
- The SP-720UZ boasts a bright 3-inch advanced high-resolution 460,000-pixel LCD monitor ideal for viewing and composing all your favorite images and HD videos in vivid color even in bright sunlight. Its extra-wide viewing angle makes for easier composing and shooting. Its 16:9 aspect ratio is perfect for watching the high-definition movies you capture.
- One-Touch 1080p Full HD Movie and HDMI Control
- The SP-720UZ shoots gorgeous 1080p HD videos, so you'll never miss the chance to capture the scene. Activating HD recording is incredibly easy with a dedicated one-touch button, and playback is also a breeze. Now, you'll be the hit of the party or any family function when you proudly display your brilliant images and videos on high-definition televisions. Simply connect the camera to an HDTV with an HDMI™ cable, which can be purchased separately at any consumer electronics store. With HDMI Control, you can use your HDTV's remote to control playback functions and navigate the camera's menus from the comfort of your favorite couch. With One-Touch HD Movie you can record widescreen, crystal clear full HD movies right from your camera.
HDMI output and control makes playing back videos on your HDTV a breeze. Want high speed recording for slow motion playback? The SP-820 is equipped with HS QVGA recording up to 240 frames per second.
- Multi-Motion Movie IS
- When you're walking and capturing videos at the same time, blur can be a big problem. Not with Multi-motion Movie IS. This advanced image stabilization technology counteracts blurring even with slow-moving subjects, long shots and pans. It's ideal for making dynamic, spontaneous movies when you're on the move -- and invariably don't have a tripod.
- iHS Technology
- Thanks to the iHS (Intelligent, High-Sensitivity and High-Speed) family of technologies, the Olympus Stylus SP-720UZ iHS has brains as well as brawn. iHS harnesses the power of a 14-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and the TruePic III+ image processor to dramatically improve low-light performance, speed up camera response time, enhance scene and subject recognition and double zoom magnification without losing image quality. iHS powers a number of Olympus features that take all the work out of capturing difficult shots. HDR Backlight Adjustment takes a collage of separate photos and blends them into one perfectly exposed image regardless of difficult lighting. Multi-Motion Movie IS (Image Stabilization) records virtually blur-free videos even when you're moving. The versatile lens on the Olympus SP-720UZ iHS pulls out wide or zooms in twice as close with its 80x Super-Resolution Zoom that digitally extends the range of the optical zoom with nearly no loss of image quality. Capture beautiful images and videos effortlessly; Enhanced iAuto enables the camera to automatically detect 30 different scenes (portrait, landscape, macro, etc.)
- 14 Megapixel (Effective) High-Sensitivity CMOS
- The 14.0-megapixel high-resolution CMOS image sensor delivers superior image quality capturing the most subtle details that are consistently sharp and vivid, even in large-format prints or when the image is cropped.
- TruePic III+ Image Processor
- Whether you are globetrotting or attending a sporting event, the SP-720UZ offers a 14-megapixel sensor, enabling users to achieve consistently sharp and vivid images when producing large-format prints or cropping/enlarging a portion of a photo. Olympus developed its exclusive TruePic III+ Image Processor for the demanding performance of Digital SLRs and has migrated the technology to the S-series cameras for amazing image quality. Olympus' enhanced TruePic III+ Image Processor produces crystal clear photos using all the pixel information for each photo to deliver exceptional clarity with more accurate colors, true-to-life flesh tones and faster processing speeds. TruePic III+ also captures crisp, clear photos at high ISO settings, which are traditionally associated with increasing noise or producing grainy photos.
- AF Tracking
- AF Tracking technology locks your subject in focus, and continuously adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject are moving. This mode can remember the subject if it moves out of the frame. This enables you to keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects like small children in focus for the perfect shot. There's even a specially designed AF Tracking Pet Mode for animal lovers.
- 34 Selectable Shooting Modes Including 16 Scene Preset Modes and 12 Creative Art Filters
- With 34 shooting modes including Intelligent Auto and pre-programmed scene modes, such as Beach & Snow, Night Scene, Sunset, and Fireworks, the SP-720UZ makes it easy to capture beautiful images in a variety of lighting and shooting situations. Get the best result in any situation with advanced options -- landscape, portrait, indoor, sunset and more.
- Beauty Mode With Makeup Mode
- Beauty mode touches up the appearance of subjects even while the shot is being taken. This feature recognises faces and automatically makes skin on the face and adjacent areas appear smoother, brighter and more youthful. It enables you to soften shadows and smooth wrinkles or blemishes on your subject's face -- all in the camera and as you capture the image. Additionally, subtle edits can be made post-capture using the Beauty Fix mode. Choose Clear Skin to smooth a person's complexion, Dramatic Eye to slightly emphasize the eyes, and Sparkle Eye to brighten and enhance the contrast of the iris and pupils. You can also apply all three edits at once.
Make-up mode enhances the look of faces in your shots. Laid out like a cosmetic toolbox, it lets you apply everything from eyeliner and eye shadow to rouge for skin blemishes. You can even lift cheekbones and morph your subjects to give them a cover-model look.
- Intelligent Auto Mode
- Taking a moonlit stroll on the beach? With the Intelligent Auto Mode in Olympus cameras your camera knows and it automatically identifies what you are shooting (i.e., Portrait, Night + Portrait, Landscape, Macro and Sports) and adjusts the camera's settings to capture the best quality results. First-time users can jump into this quick and hassle-free feature that does the thinking for them and produces incredible images.
- 12 In-Camera Magic Art Filters
- In-camera Creative Filters recently debuted on Olympus E-System DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras. Similar in-camera Magic Art Filters have been developed for compact Olympus cameras such as the SP-720UZ. Magic Art Filters enable the user to enhance and customize images as they're being captured. This translates into more fun and flexibility as customization is no longer limited to using expensive and time-consuming computer software. The Magic Art Filters include:
- Pop Art: Enhance and saturate colors to create vivid, high-impact pictures that express the joyful, lighthearted feeling of the Pop Art style of the 1960s
- Pin Hole: Reduce the peripheral brightness of an image as though it were shot through a pin hole, connecting the viewer intimately with the subject at the center
- Fish-Eye: Emulate the wide-angle of a fish-eye lens by taking extremely wide, hemispherical images and magnifying the center of the frame.
- Drawing: Turn your image into a sketch outline for children to color.
- Soft Focus: Creates a soft tone that gives pictures an ethereal, otherworldly atmosphere. It renders pictures as though they were veiled in heavenly light, without obscuring details such as hair or flower petals.
- Punk: Creates a two-tone image with a classic punk rock feel
- Watercolor: Transforms images into frame-worthy art with a finish like that of watercolor paintings
- Sparkle: Adds a twinkle to your photos
- Reflection: Creates a spectacular horizontal reflection of the real image similar to a mirror image created by still water.
- Miniature: Gives images a miniature model feel by narrowing the depth of field and enhancing color and contrast.
- Fragmented: Creates a collage of tiles, as if the original photo had been cut up and reassembled. Gives the shot a lively new look and feel with a three-dimensional texture.
- Dramatic: Boosts the contrast to give images a more dynamic atmosphere.
- 16 Scene Preset Modes
- With 16 pre-programmed scene modes, such as Beach & Snow, Night Scene, Sunset, and Under Water Snapshot, the SP-720UZ iHS makes it easy to capture beautiful images in a variety of lighting and shooting situations. Get the best result in any situation with advanced options -- landscape, portrait, indoor, sunset and more.
- Night Scene
- Night & Portrait
- Beach & Snow
- Pet (Dog)
- Pet (Cat)
- Backlight HDR
- Backlight HDR Adjustment
- Shooting into backlight typically results in washed out, overly bright images. Backlight HDR Adjustment takes a collage of images at various exposure levels and blends them into one, perfectly exposed image.
- Advanced Face Detection Auto Focus and Auto Exposure
- Face Detection Technology tracks up to 16 faces within the frame and automatically focuses (Face Detection AF) and optimizes exposure (Face Detection AE) for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures. Even if your subjects are moving, the camera continuously tracks your subjects' faces without having to press the shutter button.
- 15 MB Available Built-in Internal Memory
- You can capture images even when no media card is in the camera. The SP-720UZ comes with 15 MB of internal memory.
- SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card Compatible
- The Olympus SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom digital compact camera offers SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card capability for up to 64 gigabytes of capacity.
- OLYMPUS [ib] Software
- The SP-720 UZ comes with OLYMPUS [ib] software. The software includes photography workflow, browsing, editing and unique photo organizing functions. You can organize your photos by person with automatic face recognition technology, by location with a Geotagging function or by event. You can easily view photos on an HDTV or on the camera's LCD with the Photo Surfing or Slideshow functions. The name [ib] stands for image bridging, image browsing and image brightening. The software is available for Windows operating systems only.
- Easy Direct Print Capability
- The power of PictBridge technology enables photos to be printed directly from the camera to any PictBridge-enabled printer, such as the Olympus P-11 Digital Photo Printer, without using a computer. And the new one-touch printing button makes printing a single-step process. Printing and sharing images has never been easier!
- Auto-Connect USB 2.0 High Speed
- Transferring images to the computer has never been easier with the Auto-Connect USB 2.0 that does not require software drivers (for most computers/operating systems) for hassle-free and high-speed image downloads.
- Histogram Function
- The SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom's Histogram function provides real-time access to exposure information so users can confirm exposure before snapping the picture. A histogram displayed on the LCD makes detection of over- and under-exposed areas simple with red and blue highlighting so users can make adjustments.
- Built-in Multi-Mode Flash
- The SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom camera has a built-in flash that offers settings to provide a wide range of options.
- Auto Flash fires automatically in low light or back-light, to help ensure the illumination is appropriate.
- Red-Eye Reduction Flash Mode emits a series of pre-flashes right before the shutter snaps, allowing the subject's eyes to adjust to the light level of the flash -- reducing the red-eye effect.
- Fill-In Flash Mode (forced on) adds light to eliminate shadows, for a more natural look in photos when your subject is in both bright light and dark shadow.
- Flash Off Mode is available when flash photography is not permitted or to allow for long exposures for shots like sunsets and night scenes.
- In-Camera Panorama Mode
- In-camera panorama mode captures three images and stitches them together to create one amazing panoramic picture. Simply press the shutter button and slowly pan across a panoramic scene. The second and third images will be captured automatically and stitched together with the first image -- resulting in one seamless panorama-size picture. To create the ultimate panoramic picture, you can use the Olympus [ib] Software to stitch up to 10 images together.
- Digital ESP Multi-Pattern and Spot Metering
- Multi-Point Metering enables separate points in the image area to be averaged for proper exposures in the most difficult lighting conditions.
Olympus SP-720 iHS Ultra Zoom Specifications
- Image Sensor:
- 14.0 megapixel effective, 1/2.3" (1.1cm) CMOS Sensor, 14.4 gross megapixels, Primary color filter
- 4.7 - 121.2 mm (26 mm - 676 mm equivalent in 35mm photography), 14 lenses in 10 groups, 3 Aspherical glass elements, 1 ED glass element
- 26x Optical Zoom + 4x Digital Zoom (Seamless to 104x)
- Aperture Range:
- f3.2 (W) / f5.6 (T)
- 3.0" (7.6cm) TFT LCD, approx. 460,000 pixels, ± 2 Steps Brightness Adjustment
- Focusing System:
- CMOS Contrast detection
- Focusing Ranges (from lens surface):
- Normal Mode: (Wide) 11.8 in. - infinity (30cm - infinity)
(Tele) 7.2 ft. - infinity (2.2m - infinity)
Macro Mode: (Wide) 11.8 in. - infinity (30cm - infinity)
(Tele) 7.2 ft. - infinity (2.2m - infinity)
Super Macro Mode: 0.39" (1cm) closest focusing distance
- Focus Modes:
- iESP Auto, Spot AF, Face Detection AF, AF Tracking
- Shutter Speeds:
- 1/1400 sec. - 1/2 sec. (up to 4 sec. in Night Scene Mode)
- Auto, High ISO Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 (SOS: Standard Output Sensitivity)
- Metering Modes:
- Digital ESP Metering, Spot Metering
- Exposure Compensation:
- ±2 EV steps in 1/3 EV steps
- White Balance System:
- Auto, Pre-set (Overcast, Daylight, Tungsten, and Fluorescent 1), One-touch white balance (2 custom settings can be registered)
- Recording Modes:
- Still image: JPEG
- Still Image Adjustable Resolutions:
- 14MP (4,288 x 3,216)
8MP (3,264 x 2,448)
5MP (2,560 x 1,920)
3MP (2,048 x 1,536)
2MP (1,600 x 1,200)
1MP (1,280 x 960)
VGA (640 x 480)
16:9 L (4,288 x 2,416)
16:9 S (1,920 x 1,080)
- Motion Blur Suppression
- Dual Image Stabilization
- Shooting Modes:
- 34 Shooting Modes: Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, Beauty Mode with Make-up Mode, Panorama, 12 Magic Art Filters (Pop Art, Pinhole, Fisheye, Drawing, Soft Focus, Punk, Sparkle, Watercolor, Reflection, Miniature, Fragmented, Dramatic), 16 Scene Presets (Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Night & Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Candle, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Documents, Pet (Cat), Pet (Dog), Beach & Snow, Self Portrait, Backlight HDR), Movie, 3D Photo
- In-Camera Panorama, PC Panorama (Up to 10 frames automatically stitchable with ib software)
- Continuous Shooting
- Approx. 2.0 fps / 6 images (14 MB)
Approx. 5.0 fps / 6 images (14 MB)
Approx. 10.0 fps / 40 images (5 MB)
Approx. 30.0 fps / 40 images (5 MB)
- Shooting Assist Functions:
- Histogram, Frame Assist, Voice Recording
- Movie Mode:
- 1080p (1920 x 1080), 720p (1280 x 720), VGA (640 x 480)
- Image Processing:
- TruePic™ III+ Image Processor
- Noise Reduction:
- Set automatically at shutter speeds of 0.5 seconds or longer in specific scene modes (Night Scene, Night + Portrait, Candle, Sunset, Fireworks)
- Image Playback:
- Still Image: Single, Index Display (5x4)), Zoom (1.1x to 10x enlargement), Slideshow, Event, Rotation, Protection, Histogram
Movie: Normal, Fast-Forward, Reverse, Frame-by-Frame
- Playback Edit Effects:
- Still Image: Beauty Fix, Resize, Cropping, Saturation, Red-eye reduction, Shadow Adjustment
- Built-in Flash
- Built-in Flash Modes:
- Auto (for low light and back lit conditions), Red-Eye Reduction, Fill-in, Off
- Flash Working Range:
- Wide: 1.64 ft (0.5m) - 19.7 ft (6.0m) at ISO 1000
Tele: 7.2 ft (2.2m) - 16.4 ft (5.0m) at ISO 1000
- 12 / 2 seconds / Pet auto-shutter
- 15 MB internal memory
- Removable Media Card:
- SD/SDHC/SDXC Card (not supported for UHS speed class)
- Outer Connectors:
- Multi-Terminal: USB Connector, DC Jack, Audio/Video Output)
HDMI Type D
- Auto-Connect USB:
- USB 2.0 Full Speed (USB Mass Storage)
- System Requirements:
- Auto-connect USB: Windows XP/VISTA/7 with USB port, Mac OS X 10.3 or later with USB port
Software: Windows XP/VISTA/7, Mac OS X v10.3 - 10.5
- Operating Environment:
- Operation: 32º - 104ºF (0º - 40ºC), 30 - 90% humidity
Storage: -4º - 140ºF (-20º - 60ºC), 10 - 90% humidity
- Power Supply:
- LI-50B Lithium-Ion Battery
- Size (W x H x D):
- Approx. 4.0" x 2.7" x 2.9" (102.7mm x 69.3mm x 73.7mm)
- Approx. 13.3 oz. (376 g)