Olympus E-5 Digital SLR
Olympus E-5 Digital SLR package does not include a lens. E-5 pictured above with Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8/4.0 SWD Lens, sold separately.
Get Olympus E-5 Price / Buy Online.
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Olympus
and Many Other Fine Brands!
The Olympus E-5 Digital SLR. Now nothing gets between you and your next great shot. Built on Olympus' revolutionary E-System technology, the E-5 lets you do even more, delivering true-to-life color, blazing speed, and astonishing detail with remarkable ease. Olympus' proven In-Body Image Stabilization gives you blur-free handheld shooting with any Zuiko® Digital lens. The E-5's weatherproof construction ensures reliable performance in even the most extreme conditions. Options like new HD Video and in-camera Art Filters give you unprecedented creative freedom. And with the lightweight, compact system, it travels easily. From any perspective, the E-5 will take you further.
Designed to maximize the power of Zuiko Digital lenses, the E-5 achieves the highest image quality of any Olympus camera. The 12.3 megapixel Live MOS Sensor paired with the TruePic V+ image processing engine produces accurate color fidelity and greater image detail. Fine Detail Processing technology captures details with unmatched accuracy. The E-5's sophisticated In-Body Image Stabilization system brings blur-free results to handheld shooting. And with the world's fastest AutoFocus* system, you'll never miss a shot.
Olympus E-5 Key Features
- Olympus E-5 Package Contents:
- E-5 Digital SLR Body
- Li-Ion Battery Pack BLM-5
- Li-Ion Battery Charger BCM-5
- USB Cable
- Audio / Video Cable
- Shoulder strap
- Olympus View2 CD-ROM
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
- Master Light Like Never Before With Zuiko Digital Specific Lenses™
- Most other digital SLR cameras use traditional 35mm film lenses on digital bodies. But since those lenses are based on designs from the beginning of the last century for film and not for pixels, they deliver insufficient light at the edges of a digital camera's image sensor. This can result in reduced sharpness and color definition, particularly when shooting with wide-angle lenses. The E-5 does not have this problem, because it accommodates the full line of interchangeable Zuiko Digital Specific Lenses™ designed specifically for digital capture with smart technology that allows the lenses to communicate with the camera to ensure the best possible image quality.
Designed for the Four Thirds System, Zuiko Digital Specific Lenses are perfectly matched to the E-5's image sensor. Light is focused directly to all parts of the sensor, which is designed for edge-to-edge sharpness, image quality, vibrant colors and sharp contrasts. With twice the resolving power of equivalent film lenses. Zuiko Digital Specific Lenses are designed to meet the needs of the most demanding professional photographer, with image quality that can actually surpass pictures produced with a 35mm film camera.
The Zuiko line-up includes three splash-proof, dust-proof lenses incorporating the Supersonic Wave Drive (SWD) autofocusing system. In addition to extreme precision and control, the SWD enables unparalleled autofocusing speeds when used in combination with the E-5 professional Digital SLR. Ensuring great flexibility, the SWD lenses are incredibly bright and cover a combined focal length range spanning 12-200mm (equiv. to 24-400mm).
- 12.3 Megapixel High-Speed Live MOS Image Sensor
- The E-5 utilizes a unique combination of cutting edge technologies to deliver the highest image quality in the Olympus family. The 12.3 megapixel Live MOS image sensor coupled with the TruePic V+ Image Processor optimizes the power of Zuiko Digital lenses to deliver unmatched image quality. New Fine Detail Processing technology enhances the sense of detail and resolution, maximizing the potential of the 12.3 megapixel High-Speed Live MOS Sensor to deliver pictures that are sharper and clearer than ever before.
The High-Speed Live MOS Sensor faithfully reproduces the subject with high resolution, rich gradations, natural color and fine detail. Radical improvements in material and technology result in a compact, high-performance image sensor unit with low power consumption, low heat generation and low noise generation. This reduced power consumption saves battery life and makes possible the E-5's permanent Live View capability. The image sensor also boasts a high read speed, enabling high-speed sequential shooting at 5 frames per second.
- Sophisticated In-Camera Image Stabilization System
- Unlike other cameras that rely on image-stabilized lenses, the E-5 uses an image stabilization system housed in the body. The E-5 delivers sharp shots in low light or with a telephoto lens even without a tripod. A sophisticated body-mounted image stabilization system compensates for camera shake by shifting the image sensor up to an equivalent of five shutter speed steps. At the heart of the built-in image stabilizer unit are the Olympus-exclusive Supersonic Wave Drive motors with excellent responsiveness and control. An advanced, extremely accurate gyro sensor detects and analyzes even the slightest hand tremble. The motors use this information and immediately shift the image sensor unit accordingly.
- TruePic V+ Image Processor
- Using all the pixel information at an individual pixel level to provide the best digital images possible, the innovative TruePic V+ Image Processor delivers excellent dynamic range and accurate color fidelity, with natural color, true-to-life flesh tones, brilliant blue skies and precise tonal expression. It also lowers image noise in photos shot at higher ISO settings enabling great results in low-light situations.
- Shadow Adjustment Technology
- Shadow Adjustment Technology expands the visual information in the shadows of your image. Choose from four gradation settings: Auto, High Key, Normal and Low Key. The Auto setting uses Shadow Adjustment Technology (SAT) to balance over-exposed highlight areas with under-exposed shadow areas in conditions like backlight.
- Choice Of Two Color Spaces
- With the E-5, you have the option to shoot in sRGB color space for standard video and computer monitors; or shoot in Adobe RGB that covers the color range in commercial printing.
- Preset White Balance And Exposure For true Color Reproduction
- The E-5 takes a two-part approach to auto white balancing: a light source sensor plus an image sensor that detects white in an image, then accordingly adjusts the overall color balance. A preset white balance adjustment gives you 8 settings between 3000K and 7500K, while the one-touch white balance adjustment registers up to 4 white balance settings. Both settings are adjustable in +/- 7 steps (1 step = 2 mireds).
- ISO Settings from 100 to 6400
- The E-5's image processor lowers image noise in photos shot at higher ISO settings enabling great results in low-light situations. You can automatically or manually choose ISO speeds between 100 and 6400 in 1/3 or 1 EV steps. On Auto, the E-5 adjusts the ISO setting to get the best exposure when adjusting the shutter speed or aperture value doesn't give you the desired effect. You can customize the upper limit and reference value for the auto ISO.
- High-Speed 11-Point Autofocus With Full-Twin Cross AF Sensors
- Intuitive controls and fast performance are essential for capturing the moment without missing a shot. Besides its direct access buttons for quick access to camera menus, the E-5 camera offers the fastest AF speed in the world when coupled with the Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f 2.8-4.0 (24-120mm equivalent) Supersonic Wave Drive Lens to ensure fast focus for clear, sharp photos.
The E-5 camera has an 11-point High Precision Fully Twin Cross AF sensor, based on proprietary Olympus micro-sensing technologies that achieve equally effective performance on both the vertical and horizontal axis. With most biaxial sensors, performance on the vertical and horizontal axes is not equal, and there is often a perceived difference in response time when using different lenses. However, unlike systems that respond at nominally lower f-stop values simply by boosting sensitivity, the E-5's AF sensor features a houndstooth pattern phase detection sensor layout that uses micro-lamination technologies to achieve superior real-world performance. The 11 AF target points on the E-5 can be selected to work individually or dynamically in combination with adjacent target points.
- 720p HD Video
- The E-5 captures all the action in crisp 720p HD video at 30 frames per second. With more than 20 Zuiko Digital lenses, you can shoot video with a selection ranging from an extreme wide-angle fisheye lens to a super telephoto lens, for a variety of expressive options. Capture great stereo sound quality by plugging any microphone with a standard 3.5mm jack into the camera's stereo microphone terminal. A built-in microphone also records clear monaural audio.
- High-Speed Sequential Shooting At 5 Frames per Second
- The E-5's highly reliable 5 fps burst shooting provides extra flexibility when shooting sports, wildlife or any other dynamic subjects. The E-5's ability to process over 12 million pixels of high-quality image data at extremely high speed enables continuous shooting at up to five frames per second. In fact, you can shoot until your finger tires -- as continuous shooting up to the limit of available memory is possible at the highest resolution setting.* The E-5's high-speed 5 fps sequential shooting and 1/8000 second top shutter speed is made possible by the fast readout speed of the Live MOS Sensor, the quicker speed of the TruePic V+ Image Processor and a more efficient, high-precision mirror mechanism.
- 1/8000 Second High-Speed Shutter
- You can capture spectacular images using the E-5's 1/8000-second high-speed shutter, while shooting at maximum aperture even under very bright lighting conditions. The E-5 also boasts an ultra-fast shutter release time, allowing instant shooting for superior tracking and response. To withstand heavy-duty, professional use, the shutter unit uses a highly durable focal plane shutter with a vertical-travel metal blade mechanism that has been rigorously tested to 150,000 shooting operation cycles during Olympus in-house testing.
- Splash-Proof and Dust-Proof Design, Rugged Magnesium Alloy Body
- The E-5 features a rugged magnesium alloy body and dustproof, splashproof design. Made of a "thixomold" magnesium alloy with homogeneous composition, the camera body is extremely strong, durable, and lightweight. All major parts of the E-5's camera body are weathersealed to keep out sand, dust, rain and splashes -- including the built-in flash, LCD monitor, and switches. When the body is combined with a similarly sealed dustproof and splashproof Zuiko Digital lens, you can shoot with confidence even under the most severe conditions.
- Industry-Proven Supersonic Wave Filter Dust Reduction System
- Change lenses on the fly, without consequence. A common problem with interchangeable lens digital SLR cameras is dust settling on the image sensor. The features an Olympus exclusive patented ultrasonic technology, the Supersonic Wave Filter™, to reduce the effects of micro dust settling on the image sensor and impacting the image quality. Located between the shutter and the CCD, the Supersonic Wave Filter uses high-speed ultrasonic vibration to cause most types of dust to fall away from the image sensor so it will not appear in photographs. The filter vibrates at 300,000 times per second and is activated every time the camera powers on, or manually via a menu selection, to instantly remove the dust from in front of the image sensor. The CCD assembly is isolated from the Supersonic Wave Filter by an airtight seal to protect it even more. This unique Olympus feature gives photographers the confidence to shoot photos and change lenses in the field, just as they've always done, without the worry of images being damaged or ruined by dust on the imager. With the E-5's powerful SSWF system, even tiny particles that are tightly bound by molecular attraction and cannot be removed by simple shaking or anti-static measures can be dislodged and trapped in the dust collection unit.
- 3-inch Dual-Axis Flexible-Angle Live View HyperCrystal LCD
- Whether composing still images or HD video, you'll appreciate the E-5's 270° dual axis swivel 3-inch HyperCrystal LCD. It covers all the viewing angles from low to high and side to side, ensuring accurate composition and providing opportunities for creativity. The LCD displays 921,000 pixels in vivid color and greater contrast than conventional LCD monitors for easier viewing in both preview and playback modes. It also provides a wide viewing angle ensuring that images can be composed from even the most obscure angles. The larger LCD makes viewing icons and text on the camera's menu a squint-free process.
Live View shooting allows real-time hunting and framing of your subject right on the LCD. Enabling ultra high-angle and low-angle shooting, the dual-axis flexible-angle Live View monitor can be rotated freely -- up and down and from side to side -- allowing you to take shots from angles impossible up until now. The LCD monitor displays 100 percent of the field of view and can be used in AF shooting. A sensor installed on the upper left side of the swivel LCD analyzes the brightness of the surroundings and then automatically adjusts the brightness of the LCD. If you are outdoors under bright sunlight, the LCD's brightness and contrast are increased to improve visibility; when in a dark setting or at night, brightness is decreased for easier viewing.
Instantly check the effects of white balance adjustment and exposure compensation in real time on the Live View LCD before shooting. The Gradation Auto setting -- with Shadow Adjustment Technology -- lets you adjust an underexposed area while retaining background brightness. Monitor image quality more closely while exerting greater creative control.
- In-Camera Art Filters For Both Stills And HD Video
- Ten Art Filters make it easy to create special effects for stills and HD video. We pioneered easy-to-use in-camera Art Filters for still images captured inside our E-System DSLRs. We were the first company to offer the ability to apply Art Filters to HD video recordings captured with the PENŽ E-P1 camera. Now, the E-5 camera continues this tradition of innovation with 10 user controllable in-camera Art Filters, including one new filter: Dramatic Tone. The Dramatic Tone Art Filter represents real space in a more imaginary way by applying unrealistic tones of light and darkness based on local changes in contrast. This new filter is a welcome addition to Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process and Gentle Sepia filters previously available on the E-30, E-620 and PENŽ series cameras. For the first time, you can use Art Filters in all shooting modes: shutter priority, aperture priority, manual and program auto modes. The filters can all be applied to both still shots and Standard Definition or HD movies. Whether you're a videographer, documentarian or established director -- or just want to shoot like one -- Art Filters set your images and videos apart from the pack.
- Cross Process - Changes the color and contrast of subjects.
- Soft Focus - Creates an ethereal effect.
- Diorama - Gives the feel of a miniature model by narrowing the depth of focus.
- Dramatic Tone - Applies unrealistic tones of light and darkness.
- Gentle Sepia - Gives a warm cast similar to historical images.
- Grainy Film - Recreates the rich, grainy look and tonality evoked by monochrome images.
- Pop Art - Enhances colors making them stronger and more vivid.
- Pin Hole - Reproduces the peripheral vignetting and unique color tone of images taken with a pin hole camera.
- Light Tone - Subdues highlights and shadows.
- Pale & Light Color - Mutes color tonalities to create a gentle light and dream-like quality.
E-5 with optional ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD Zuiko Digital Zoom and HLD-4 Power Battery Holder
- Built-in Flash With Wireless Commander Function
- Take wireless control of multiple flashes when you use the E-5 with Olympus' optional FL-50R or FL-36R flashes. No external commander is needed; it's incorporated into the built-in flash. All flash operations are set using the Super Control Panel and Flash RC setting including activation/deactivation of up to 200 flashes divided among three flash groups, selection of TTL flash or FP flash, and flash intensity.
- A Full Range Of Olympus E-System Accessories
- The first professional DSLR system designed completely from the ground up for digital photography, the innovative Olympus E-System is lightweight, compact, and more stable; exploits the image sensor's capabilities to the maximum; and features the Four Thirds Standard for high compatibility and future innovation. Zuiko Digital lenses are designed to meet the high demands of professional DSLR photography, providing edge-to-edge sharpness and high light utilization. Featuring near-telecentric optics for the highest possible image quality, they are based upon the Four Thirds standard in a compact and lightweight design.
- Large, Precision Optical Viewfinder
- The E-5's large optical viewfinder provides a 100% accurate frame view (horizontal and vertical) for precision framing and image capture, and is designed specifically to match the size and format of the Four Thirds image sensor. The viewfinder also provides 1.15x magnification (at -1m -1, 50mm lens, infinity). Even fine details are seen with astonishing clarity. The E-5's large, precision-crafted pentaprism is crafted from high refractive index glass with a highly reflective silver coating. The eyepiece uses glass lenses. All the lenses are surface coated to maintain brightness.
- Dual CompactFlash and SD/ SDHC / SDXC Memory Slots For Choice Of Storage Media
- There's a dual media slot that works with both CompactFlash (Type I) and an SD card (SDHC or SDXC). Data can be copied between two cards and you can use a second card to back up the main card used for recording.
- RAW, JPEG or Simultaneous RAW and JPEG Image Formats
- Image files can be saved in either RAW or JPEG formats. It is also possible to write both RAW and JPEG data simultaneously. JPEG file can be set by selecting the image size from Large, Medium or Small, and the compression rate from Super Fine, Fine, Normal and Basic.
- Picture Mode With Color and Image Adjustments
- The picture mode can be selected from Vivid, Natural (Default), Flat (Muted), Portrait and Monotone. With the Vivid, Natural, Flat and Portrait modes, the user can adjust contrast, sharpness and colour saturation in 5 steps. Even more precise setting is possible in the Monotone mode, which also allows the user to control the filter effect (Yellow, Red, Orange or Green) and the Picture tones (Neutral, Sepia, Blue, Purple and Green) of monotone images.
- The E-5 features a new Picture Mode, i-Enhance, that identifies the subject of an image and optimizes the saturation, gradation, contrast and brightness for the subject. While other Picture Modes are applied uniformly to an entire image, the i-Enhance effects are selectively applied to the subject only. i-Enhance can be selected in the Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual shooting modes.
- Choice Of sRGB or Adobe RGB Color Spaces
- The E-5 allows the user to select their choice of image capture using sRGB or Adobe RGB color spaces. sRGB is the color space standard for computer monitors, inkjet printers, scanners, and the Internet, and is used in most digital cameras on the market today. Adobe RGB offers the color space which is suitable to pre-press and printing on CMYK printers. The selection can easily be made using the camera's Main Menu so you can quickly optimize the color performance of the camera depending on the medium you're shooting for.
- High-Precision 49-Zone Light Metering System
- Users are offered a choice of Digital ESP (Electro Selective Pattern) 49-point multi pattern metering, center-weighted average metering, or spot metering. The E-5 uses an active pixel method in low light and a hybrid metering system with an integrating amplifier in bright light. This assures a wide photometric dynamic range even under complex lighting conditions for fast, precise metering. A new metering algorithm is used to stabilize the metering performance especially under low-lighted or highlighted subjects. The algorithm also adopts the notion of relation between AF focused point and AF metering value to improve the accuracy of metering.
- Loss-Less Compression of RAW Data Without Image Degradation
- High-speed RAW data compression is possible without image degradation. For example, an image of about 17 MB can be compressed to about 11 MB with no loss of quality, allowing you to record more images in the same amount of storage space.
- Secure Grip For High Mobility
- The ergonomically designed body fits comfortably into the photographer's hands, providing a natural grip for both two-hand and one-hand shooting. The large grip on the right side is complemented by a sub-grip that forms an inverse radius to ensure stability and ease of handling even when changing lenses frequently or shooting with a large lens.
- Control System With Instant Response
- The main dial/button is located where it is easiest to control while you're shooting, allowing you to quickly adjust shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation simply by shifting the dial, without having to visually check the dial position. All dials are positioned for easy access and each dial can be customized to control functions including aperture, shutter speed adjustment and menu transition method. For example, the function of the AEL/AFL button can be selected between AF and AE decision timing, the functions of the Fn (Function) buttons can also be selected, and even the functions of the AEL/AFL button and an Fn button can be switched. Together, these dials allow the camera to be adapted to the shooting style of each user, improving operability and facilitating quick response during shooting.
- Super Control Panel
- The Super Control Panel can be displayed on the rear-panel LCD monitor. Besides displaying current shooting and setting information, its intuitive GUI (Graphical User Interface) makes it easy to adjust or check settings using cross-cursor and OK buttons. An extra-large, easy-to-see LCD panel that displays the shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation value is also provided on the top of the camera body.
- 7 Frame AE Bracketing
- The bracketing options have been expanded in the E-5 to include 2, 3, 5 and 7 frame modes. When the sequential shooting mode is activated, the camera will shoot through the selected number of bracketed frames while the shutter button is pressed and held. In under two seconds, the E-5 can capture 7 frames at .7EV increments. This addition is excellent for some of the new photographic trends such as HDR imaging. Bracketing helps you find the best setting in challenging lighting situations like shooting a sunset or against backlight. In situations where correct exposure might be difficult to obtain, bracketing gives you more than one exposure so that you can choose the best result. The bracketing function can be used in all dial exposure modes.
- Nine Aspect Ratios
- The E-5 lets you choose from nine aspect ratios including the standard 4:3, the cinematic 16:9, the medium-format camera size of 6:6 and others. The ability to select your aspect ratio and see it on the LCD before shooting lets you find just the right image size to fit your artistic vision. Image aspects can be used with JPEG or RAW quality settings.
- Multiple Exposure
- The Multiple Exposure function lets you create unique, striking photos by combining up to four images in one shot using the Live View LCD. Just shoot the next frame while overlaying your last shot as a semi-transparent image so you can see what the final photo will look like. With the Playback (RAW) + Multi-exposure mode, you can use RAW images taken at a different time and place as the base image and then overlay up to four exposures that can be saved as a single image.
- HDMI Connectivity
- The E-5 makes sharing your digital images and movies easier than ever. Just connect the camera to any HDTV and use the HDTV's remote control to easily playback images or video and navigate the camera's menus.
- Digital Leveler Sensor Ensures Correct Framing
- Thanks to a three-axis acceleration sensor, you can check the camera's horizontal and vertical angles on the LCD or viewfinder. This lets you easily adjust the camera so that it's level, even when it's normally hard to check the level, such as shooting at night.
- Intuitive, Easy-To-Read Interface
- While you're busy shooting, you need to see all your settings instantly. The E-5 features a control panel on top of the camera that's clearly readable in bright, direct sunlight. With one glance, you can check shutter speed, exposure compensation and aperture, and more. Or view the Super Control Panel on the LCD display to easily check and adjust settings. A convenient main dial lets you adjust shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation with your thumb. A sub-dial positioned near your index finger also gives you access to those functions. Together, these dials give you one-touch control of multiple settings.
Olympus E-5 Specifications
- Single-lens reflex Live View digital camera with interchangeable lens system
- Lens Mount
- Four Thirds System Mount
- Memory Media
- CF/SD Dual-Slot, CompactFlash Type I (UDMA), SD memory card (SDHC/SDXC compatible)
Class 6 or higher is recommended for movie shooting
- Image Sensor
- Type: High-speed Live MOS Sensor
Total Pixel Number: Approx. 13.1 million pixels
Effective Pixel Number: Approx. 12.3 million pixels
Image Sensor Size (H x V): 17.3 mm (0.68 in.) x 13.0 mm (.512 in.)
Dust Protection: Supersonic Wave Filter (dust reduction system for image sensor)
- Recording Format
- DCF, DPOF compatible/Exif, PRINT Image Matching III
- File Format
- RAW (12-bit lossless compression), JPEG, RAW+JPEG
- Recording Image Size
- RAW: 4032 x 3024 pixels
JPEG: 4032 x 3024 pixels - 640 x 480 pixels
- Movie Recording
- Recording format: AVI Motion JPEG (30fps)
Movie mode HD: 1280 (H) x 720 (V) Aspect 16:9, SD: 640 (H) x 480 (V) Aspect 4:3(VGA)
Compression ratio: 1/12 (HD), 1/8 (SD)
File size: Max 2GB (limited by AVI format)
Maximum recording time HD: 7 min, SD: 14 min
- Sound Recording
- Recording format: Wave Format Base Stereo PCM/16bit, 44.1kHz
Maximum recording time Picture with Sound: 30sec, Movie: depends on movie recording time
Mic/Speaker: Mono/Mono (Stereo external microphone available)
- Eye-level single-lens reflex viewfinder
- Viewfinder Coverage
- Approx. 100%
- Approx. 1:15 with 50mm Lens set to infinity on -1 diopter
- Eye Point
- Approx. 20mm (-1m-1) from eyepiece lens
- Diopter Adjustment
- Built-in, -3.0 to +1m-1 diopter
- Focusing Screen
- Changeable at a service center (Neo Lumi-Micro Mat screen supplied, possible to change to grid mat type)
- Eye Piece Shutter
- Eye Cup
- Interchangeable type EP-5/6/7/8, EP-7 is supplied (Magnifier Eyecup ME-1 and Dioptric eyecups DE-P3, DE-N3 are available)
- Viewfinder Optical Preview
- Yes, by preview button
- Viewfinder Live Preview
- Available to set to Fn button or Preview button
- Viewfinder Information
- Aperture value, Shutter speed, Record mode, AF confirmation mark, Flash, WB, AE lock, Number of storable still images, Exposure compensation value, Metering mode, Battery warning, Exposure mode, AF frame (super impose), IS, Bracket, ISO value
- Live View
- High speed Live MOS Sensor for still picture shooting is used, 100% field of view, Exposure adjustment preview, White balance adjustment preview, Gradation auto preview, Face detection pre-view, Perfect shot preview, Grid line displayable, 5x/7x/10x/14x magnification possible, MF/S-AF, AF frame display, AF point display, Shooting information, Histogram, IS activating mode
- High speed imager AF (Phase-difference detection AF is available with button customizing)
- Built in (Imager shift image stabilizer)
- 3 modes (2 dimensional activation, 1 dimensional activation in landscape frame to vertical direction moving, 1 dimensional activation in portrait frame to horizontal direction moving)
- Manual Function
- Input focal length 8mm to 1000mm
- Effective Compensation Range
- Approx. 5 EV steps (in maximum effect)
- HyperCrystal LCD (semi-transmissive TFT color LCD)
- 3.0 inches diagonal
- Total Pixels
- Approx. 920,000 pixels
- Playback Field Of View
- Brightness Control
- Auto / Manual 15 levels
- Color Balance
- 15 levels
- AF system
- TTL Phase Difference Detection System, Contrast detection system in Live View
- Focus Modes
- Single AF (S-AF) / Continuous AF (C-AF) / Manual Focus (MF) / S-AF + MF / C-AF + MF
C-AF mode is not available with the contrast detection system
- Focus Point
- 11 points full-twin cross AF sensorwith the phase-difference detection system
11-area multiple AF with the contrast detection system (Auto, selectable in option)
- Focus Point Selection
- Single target, Dynamic single target, All targets with the phase-difference detection system
Single, all 11 area, or Face Detection with the contrast detection system
- AF Detection Luminance Range (Phase-Difference Detection System)
- EV -2 to 19 (ISO 100, temperature 20°C)
- Af Illuminator (Phase-Difference Detection System)
- Built-in flash (external flash available)
- AF Lock
- Locked by first position of Shutter Button in Single AF mode or AE lock button (customizable)
- Focus Tracking (Phase-Difference Detection System)
- Interlocked with Continuous AF mode
- Focus Aid
- Fine Adjustment
- ± 20 steps, 20 data can be registered
- Light Metering System
- TTL open-aperture metering system
- Light Metering Modes
- Digital ESP metering (49-point multi pattern metering)
Center weighted average metering
Spot metering (approx. 2% for the viewfinder screen.
Highlight / shadow bases are available)
- Detection Range
- EV 1 - 20 (Digital ESP metering, Center weighted average metering, Spot metering) (50mm F2.0, ISO 100, temperature 20°C)
- Exposure Control
- Program AE (with Program Shift available), Shutter priority, Aperture priority, Manual
- Exposure Compensation
- ± 5 steps EV in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps selectable
- AE Lock
- Locked by first position of shutter button or AE lock button (customizable)
- Exposure Bracketing
- 2, 3, 5 or 7 frames in 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1EV steps selectable
2F-0.3step 2F-0.5step 2F-0.7step 2F-1.0step
3F-0.3step 3F-0.5step 3F-0.7step 3F-1.0step
5F-0.3step 5F-0.5step 5F-0.7step 5F-1.0step
7F-0.3step 7F-0.5step 7F-0.7step
- ISO Sensitivity
- AUTO (ISO 200 - 6400; customizable, Default 200-1600) / Manual (ISO 100 - 6400), 1/3 or 1 EV steps
- ISO Bracketing
- 3 frames in 0.3, 0.7, 1EV steps selectable
- Metering Standard value Adjustment
- 1/6 EV step, ± 1EV range
White Balance System
- Auto WB System
- Hybrid detection system with High speed Live MOS sensor and dedicated external sensor
- Preset WB
- 7 settings (3000K - 7500K) Lamp (3000K), Fluorescent (4000K), Daylight (5300K), Flash (5500K), Cloudy (6000K), Shade (7500K), Underwater
- WB Compensation Adjustment
- +/- 7 steps in each R-B/G-M axis (in Auto WB / Preset WB mode / One touch WB)
- Custom WB Mode
- 1 setting can be registered at Kelvin temperature 2000K - 14000K
- One-Touch White Balance
- 4 custom setting can be registered
- WB Bracketing
- 3 Frames in 2, 4, 6 steps selectable in each R-B/G-M axis
- Color Matrix
- sRGB, Adobe RGB
- i-ENHANCE, Vivid, Natural (default), Portrait, Muted, Monotone, Custom, Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Gentle Sepia, Cross Process, Dramatic Tone
In custom mode, basic 5 modes and adjustment available.
- Adjustment Parameters
- Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation level available in 5 steps for i-ENHANCE, Vivid, Natural, Portrait and Muted
Contrast and Sharpness level available in 5 steps for Monotone
3 effect levels are available in i-ENHANCE
- Filter Effects
- Yellow, Orange, Red or Green filter available for Monotone
- Picture Tone
- Sepia, Blue, Purple or Green tone available for Monotone
- 4 levels (auto, high key, normal, low key)
- Noise Filter
- at high ISO setting: OFF, LOW, STANDARD, HIGH
- Noise Reduction
- at slow shutter speed: OFF, ON, AUTO
ON (effective when shutter speed is slower than 1 sec)
AUTO (effective when shutter speed is slower than 4 sec (at ISO 200 or higher) or 8 sec (at lower than ISO 200)
Max. recordable pictures RAW mode: Max. 16 frames
on sequential shooting JPEG mode: up to the card capacity (with SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB)
- Computerized Focal Plane Shutter
- Shutter Speed
- P(Ps), S, A, M mode: 60 - 1/8000 sec.
Bulb: up to 30 min. (selectable longest time in the menu); Default: 8 min., 1/3, 1/2, or 1EV steps selectable.
- Self Timer
- 12 or 2 Secs. (cancel available)
- Remote Control
- Wireless by optional RM-1, Wired by optional RM-CB1
Operation time: 2 sec., 0 sec., bulb control available (with RM-1 remote control)
- Anti Shock Mode
- Available (1/8 to 30 sec selectable)
- Movie Mode
- Electronics shutter 1/60s-1/250s (1/3 EV steps)
- Drive Mode
- Single-frame shooting, Sequential shooting H, Sequential shooting L, Self-timer, Remote control
- Sequential Shooting Speed
- Approx. 5 frames/sec. in sequential shooting H, 1 to 4 fps selectable in sequential shooting L.
- Max. Frame Number on Sequential Shooting
- RAW mode: Max. 16 frames (with SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB)
JPEG mode: up to card capacity with SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB)
- Built-in Flash
- Retractable flash, GN=13(m) at ISO 100, GN=18(m) at ISO 200
- Compatible External Flash Units
- FL-50R, FL-36R, FL-50, FL-36, FL-14, STF-22, SR-11
- Flash Control Modes
- TTL Auto (TTL pre-flash mode), Auto, Manual
- Flash Modes
- Auto, Red-eye reduction, Red-eye reduction slow sync., Slow sync at 1st curtain, Slow sync at 2nd curtain, Fill-in, Manual (1/4, 1/16, 1/64), Off.
- Synchronization Speed
- 1/60s - 1/250s (1/3 EV steps) (Min. speed can be down to 60 sec)
- Intensity Control
- Up to ± 3 EV in 0.3, 0.5, 1 EV steps
- Flash Bracketing
- 3 frames in 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1 EV steps selectable
- Wireless Flash Control
- Compatible external flash: FL-50R, FL-36R
Control method: Triggered and controlled by built-in flash light
Flash control: mode TTL Auto (TTL pre-flash mode), Auto, Manual, FP TTL Auto, FP Manual
Number of channels: 4 channels
Group setting: 3 groups
- Number Of Pictures
- 2-4 pictures
- Auto gain, Live View, Exposing on Recorded picture
- Aspect Ratio
- 4:3 (default) 3:2 16:9 6:6 5:4 7:6 6:5 7:5 3:4
- Control Panel Display
- Rear LCD monitor, Viewfinder, Control panel
- Control Panel Information
- WB setting, WB compensation notification, B/W mode notification, Record mode, ISO sensitivity, Program Shift, BKT notification, Flash mode, Drive mode, Recordable still image number, Shutter Speed, Aperture Value, Exposure compensation value, Metering mode, AF mode, Activated AF points, Focusing mode, IS, Multi Exposure
- Control Panel Back Light Timer
- 8 sec.
- Super Control Panel Information (Shooting)
- Battery information, Exposure mode, Shutter speed, Aperture value, Exposure compensation value, ISO sensitivity, Exposure compensation indicator, Exposure indicator, Flash intensity compensation indicator, Date, BKT setting, NR setting, WB, WB compensation value, Picture mode, Flash mode, Record mode, Image size, Card information, Drive mode, Flash intensity compensation value, Metering mode, Recordable still image number, Focusing mode, FP warning, AF frame, AF illuminator deactivated notification, IS, Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation, Gradation, IS activating mode, Face detection, RC mode setting, Myset, Flush Charge, Multi Exposure, Aspect Ratio
- Super Control Panel Information (Wireless Flash Commander)
- Exposure mode, Shutter speed, Aperture value, Exposure compensation value bar, Exposure compensation value, Flash compensation value bar, Flash compensation value, ALE notification, Flash compensation notification, NR notification, BKT notification, AF illuminator deactivated notification, Color space, Wireless channel setting, Built-in flash intensity, Group setting
- Super Control Panel Back Light Timer
- Back light lighting time is selectable. (Keep, 8, 30 sec, 1 min)
- Live Control Information (LV Shooting)
- Battery information, Shooting mode, Shutter speed, Aperture value, Exposure compensation value, ISO sensitivity, Exposure compensation indicator, Exposure indicator, Flash intensity compensation indicator, Date, Auto BKT setting, NR setting, WB, Record mode, Flash Status, Image size, Drive mode, Flash intensity compensation value, Metering mode, Recordable still image number, Focusing mode, AF frame, Internal Temperature Warning, IS activating mode, Face detection, Myset, Multi Exposure, Aspect Ratio
- Playback Mode
- Single-frame, Information Display, Index Display (4/9/25/100 frames, Calendar), Close-up (2 - 14x), Movie (w/sound, FF/REW/Pause), Slideshow (Still/Movie/Still+Movie, Slide show w/BGM/BGM+Sound/Sound)
- Information Display
- Histogram (independent luminance / RGB available), Highlight / Shadow point warning, AF frame, Shooting information
- Menu Languages US:
- English, French, Spanish, plus 31 additional languages
- 4 setting recordable
- Erase/Protection Function
- Erase Mode: Single frame, All frames, Selected frames
Image Protect Mode: Single frame, Selected frames, Release protect (Single/All selected)
- Copy Between Media
- Single frame, All frames, Selected frames
- RAW Picture Editing
- RAW development
- JPEG Editing
- Shadow adjustment, Red-eye fix, Trimming, Monotone, Sepia, Saturation (color depth), Resize (producing another file), Aspect Change, e-Portrait
- Merge Function
- 2-4 pictures, merge gain step 0.1-2.0 0.1 step
- Print Function
- Print reservation (DPOF), Direct print (PictBridge compatible)
- PC interface: USB 2.0 High Speed for storage and camera control (MTP mode is available)
HDMI Version 1.40a, Mini HDMI type-C (1080i/720p/576p/480p) (HD/Mono or Stereo Sound)
Audio/Video out (Video: NTSC/PAL selectable, Audio: Mono)
Flash attachment: Hot shoe / External flash connector
DC-in (AC-1 compatible)
- Power Supply
- Battery: BLM-5 rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack (included)
Sleep mode Available (1, 3, 5, 10 min., off selectable)
No. of recordable pictures Approx. 870 shots (optical viewfinder, with 50% flash light BLM-5 under CIPA testing standard)
Power battery holder HLD-4 compatible
- Operating Environment
- Operating Range: 32°F to 104°F 30% to 90% relative humidity
Storage Range: -4°F to 140°F 10% to 90% relative humidity
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 5.6 x 4.6 x 2.9 inches (142.5 x 116.5 x 74.5mm) excluding protrusions
- Approx. 1 lb. 12.2 oz. (800 g) body only
Approx. 1 lb. 15.5 oz. (892 g)incl. battery and CF card