Olympus Digital Still Cameras
Shop Olympus Digital Cameras Online
Olympus Compact Digital Cameras Feature Comparison Chart
See also Olympus E System Digital SLR.
Click on model number in the chart below to see photo and detailed features.
Click on any underlined feature on this chart for a more detailed explanation.
Scroll down for a Feature Comparison Chart of additional Olympus digital cameras.
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Olympus
and Many Other Fine Brands!
Scroll up for a Feature Comparison Chart of Olympus high-end digital cameras.
Olympus Digital Camera Feature Explanations:
- 1 - Mega Pixels CCD / CMOS
- These 10-megapixels and higher image sensors deliver high-quality images that are consistently sharp and vivid even in large-format prints -- up to poster sizes as large as 16 x 20 inches.
These 12 Megapixel and 16 Megapixel CMOS sensors deliver high-resolution, superb-quality full-size movies, stills and prints. A backside illumination (BSI) sensor increases the amount of light captured, which in turn improves low-light performance.
- 2 - Hybrid Control Ring and Customization
- Focus and zoom with the feel of a manual zoom lens and have immediate access to your most important manual settings such as ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.
- 3 - Optical Zoom
- Olympus photos are known worldwide for sharp, vibrant image quality. The SP-600's powerful, ultra-compact lens gives you unmatched shooting versatility for sports, travel or everyday photography. The bright, f/2.8-4.5 lens provides the equivalent of 26-520mm focal length (in 35mm photography), with 100x combined total zoom (20x optical and 5x digital). Users can get close to the action with the camera's versatile yet compact 20x super telephoto zoom and at the same time, the wide-angle (26mm) lens captures more in each frame. Its super-macro capabilities capture the subtlest details from as close as one centimeter.
- 4 - f/1.8 iZuiko Lens
- With a minimum aperture of f/1.8 at wide-angle, this lens boasts super-fast shutter speeds for sharp, low-light images.
- 5 - Auto-Connect USB 2.0 High Speed
- Transferring images to the computer has never been easier with the Auto-Connect USB 2.0 that does not require software drivers (for most computers/operating systems) for hassle-free and high-speed image downloads.
- 6 - Movies With Audio
- Instead of writing a dozen postcards, shoot a video of the surf crashing below your balcony and then e-mail it to everyone back home.
- 7 - 1080p / 720p HD Movie and HDMI Control
- Many Olympus cameras shoot gorgeous 720p HD videos, so you'll never miss the chance to capture the scene. Activating HD recording is incredibly easy with a dedicated one-touch button, and playback is also a breeze. Now, you'll be the hit of the party or any family function when you proudly display your brilliant images and videos on high-definition televisions. Simply connect the camera to an HDTV with an HDMI™ cable, which can be purchased separately at any consumer electronics store. With HDMI Control, you can use your HDTV's remote to control playback functions and navigate the camera's menus from the comfort of your favorite couch. The SZ-31MR iHS's high-resolution 1080p HD movie capability allows you to capture high-quality Full HD video for viewing on your HDTV.
- 8 - LCD Display
- Composing and reviewing images with an LCD is an asset when taking digital pictures because it allows users to accurately frame their photographs and make decisions about saving or deleting them. Now you can easily compose, view and share your images indoors and outdoors, even in direct sunlight. The large, high-resolution HyperCrystal LCDs feature a wider viewing angle (140 degrees, left to right or up and down) and anti-glare technology that uses natural light to brighten the LCD.
Tilting Touch LCD (XZ-2): Capture your shots instantly with the XZ-2's FAST AF and responsive touch screen. Just touch the screen to focus on your subject and release the shutter. Whether composing still images or HD videos, photographers will appreciate the XZ-2's sharp 3.0-inch tilt and touch LCD to frame and show off still images and High Definition (HD) movies. The LCD displays 920,000 dots in vivid color, reproduces colors and shades more accurately with deeper black tones. Measuring 3 inches and featuring VGA resolution for crystal-clear brilliance, this LCD touch panel monitor also tilts -- so you can easily frame your shots even at awkward angles and from tricky vantage points.
- 9 - Dual Image Stabilization / 3-Axis Image Stabilization
- Dual Image Stabilization is an advanced combination of mechanical CCD-shift Image Stabilization and Digital Image Stabilization. CCD-shift Image Stabilization uses built-in electro-gyro sensors to record camera movement and adjust the CCD image sensor. This ensures that light remains centered on the image sensor to maintain image clarity despite a slight movement on the part of the photographer. Digital Image Stabilization Mode boosts ISO sensitivity and shutter speed so that images remain crisp and clear -- free from the blur caused by moving subjects. The combination of the two Image Stabilization Technologies ensures the best image clarity in virtually any shooting environment.
The SH-50 has one special feature that's going to change point-and-shoot cameras forever: its groundbreaking, super-sharp image stabilisation (IS) technology. The SH-50 is the first-ever compact digital camera to counteract blur with the sophisticated 5-axis system normally used in DSLRs. Hybrid 5-axis Movie IS is so effective that you can actually make a movie as you run, entirely blur-free. For still shots, 3-axis Photo IS is just as powerful and, in this type of camera, just as rare. The world-beating IS isn't just about razor-sharp shots. In combination with iHS technologies, it makes the SH-50 a fantastic camera for shooting in poor light.
- 10 - TruePic™ III+ TruePic™ V, or TruePic™ VI Image Processor Technology
- This exclusive Olympus technology uses all pixels at all resolutions, for unmatched detail even at lower resolution settings. With Olympus' TruePic Image Processor, you can capture even higher quality images by using all pixels, all the time, at all resolutions. Pixel-smoothing produces smoother, clearer, more color-accurate photos even at lower resolutions. Image edges are sharper, and random digital noise is reduced.
A TruePic VI Image Processor, first developed for professional SLRs, knows precisely how to deliver true-to-life color, the sharpest details, and less noise.
Olympus developed its exclusive TruePic III+ image processor for the demanding performance of digital SLR (single lens reflex) cameras. Olympus' enhanced TruePic III+ Image Processor produces crystal-clear photos using all the pixel information for each image to deliver superior picture quality with more accurate colors, true-to-life flesh tones and faster processing speeds. TruePic III+ also captures crisp, clear images at high ISO settings, which are traditionally associated with increasing image noise or producing grainy photos.
The XZ-2 pairs a high sensitivity 10 megapixel CCD sensor with the TruePic™ V Image Processor to produce clear and colorful photos using all the pixel information from each image to provide the best digital images possible. The image processor is noted for accurate natural color, true-to-life flesh tones, brilliant blue skies and precise tonal expression; it also lowers image noise in photos shot at higher ISO settings (ISO 100 to ISO 3200), enabling great results in low-light situations. Dual TruePic V Image Processors (SZ-31MR iHS) allow you to capture HD movies and 16MP still images simultaneously while precisely delivering true-to-life color, the sharpest details, and less noise.
- 11 - SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card Compatible
- All these Olympus digital compact cameras offer SD / SDHC Memory Card capability for up to 32 gigabytes of capacity. Select models support newer SDXC Memory Cards, offering up to 64 gigabytes of capacity.
- 12 - In-Camera Creative Art Filters
- In-camera Creative Features recently debuted on Olympus E-System DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras. Similar in-camera Creative Art Filters have been developed for Olympus compact digital cameras. Creative Art Filters enable the user to enhance and customize images as they're being captured. This translates into more fun and flexibility as customization is no longer limited to using expensive and time-consuming computer software. The Creative Art Filters include (available filters vary by model):
- Pop Art: Enhance and saturate colors to create vivid, high-impact pictures that express the joyful, lighthearted feeling of the Pop Art style of the 1960s
- Pin Hole: Reduce the peripheral brightness of an image as though it were shot through a pin hole, connecting the viewer intimately with the subject at the center
- Fish-Eye: Emulate the wide-angle of a fish-eye lens by taking extremely wide, hemispherical images and magnifying the center of the frame.
- Drawing: Turn your image into a sketch outline for children to color.
- Soft Focus: Creates a soft tone that gives pictures an ethereal, otherworldly atmosphere. It renders pictures as though they were veiled in heavenly light, without obscuring details such as hair or flower petals.
- Grainy Film: Recreates the powerful expression of grainy, high-contrast black and white pictures. The resulting strong presence and dramatic atmosphere make the subject stand out impressively.
- Diorama: Gives images a miniature model feel by narrowing the depth of field and enhancing color and contrast.
- Dramatic Tone: Boosts the contrast to give images a more dynamic atmosphere.
- Punk: Creates a two-tone image with a classic punk rock feel
- Watercolor: Transforms images into frame-worthy art with a finish like that of watercolor paintings
- Sparkle: Adds a twinkle to your photos
- 13 - All Weather Construction
- The lightweight and ergonomic metal body of the Stylus Digital provides all-weather protection from the elements, so it's fine to take the camera outside in a downpour, on the slopes, on the yacht or in a blizzard. Rubber gaskets throughout the camera's interior ensure that rain, sleet and snow can't stop the Stylus Digital from taking great shots -- get the camera wet, wipe it off, and keep on shooting.
- 14 - Shock Proof, Waterproof, Freeze Proof
- Tough as nails! The shockproof, waterproof, freezeproof, crushproof, dustproof TG-820 iHS is the ultimate rugged camera for outdoor enthusiasts and explorers alike. A durable metal body with an innovative shock-absorbing technology protects it from drops of up to 6.6 feet. A revolutionary system of waterproof seals and gaskets keeps water out so you can take pictures as deep as 33 feet underwater. Perfect for skiing, snowboarding, sledding and other winter fun, this camera is winterized to perform at below-freezing temperatures (14°F)! With its rugged body and reinforced LCD, the TG-820 iHS is designed to withstand up to 220 pounds of pressure so your camera and images are always protected.
The TG-610 Tough camera is waterproof to 16 feet, shockproof to 5 feet and freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, to deliver amazing images even when you take it to extremes. The TG-320 Tough camera is waterproof to 10 feet, shockproof to 5 feet and freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 15 - Direct Print Capability
- Thanks to the power of PictBridge technology, it is now possible to connect these cameras directly via USB cable to any PictBridge-enabled printer like the Olympus P-10 Digital Photo Printer. Printing and sharing images has never been easier, and the P-10 uses photo lab-quality printing -- dye-sublimation -- to create archival quality prints rich in color.
- 16 - Built-in Multi-Mode Flash
- A built-in flash that offers settings to provide a wide range of options:
- Auto Flash fires automatically in low light or back-light, to help ensure the illumination is appropriate.
- Red-Eye Reduction Flash Mode emits a series of pre-flashes right before the shutter snaps, allowing the subject's eyes to adjust to the light level of the flash -- reducing the red-eye effect.
- Fill-In Flash Mode (forced on) adds light to eliminate shadows, for a more natural look in photos when your subject is in both bright light and dark shadow.
- Flash Off Mode is available when flash photography is not permitted or to allow for long exposures for shots like sunsets and night scenes.
- 17 - Noise Reduction
- Olympus' noise reduction technology helps prevent the image noise that could otherwise appear in longer exposures taken in low light.
- 18 - Program Auto Exposure With Shooting Modes
- In fully Programmed Auto mode, the camera provides basic point-and-shoot simplicity for flawless snapshots. The camera also features a generous assortment of Shooting Modes for optimal results in a variety of situations, such as Night, Portrait, Landscape, and Sports. Users can also create My Mode settings for additional customization through self-defined combinations of white balance, sharpness, contrast and other settings in an easy-to-view histogram function.
- 19 - In-camera Editing
- With in-camera editing features such as Red-Eye Fix, image composition with the option to add a built-in frame or text, and color brightness or saturation adjustments, users can edit photos on the fly -- no longer do you have to tool around with computers and editing software for simple image touch-ups!
- 20 - ED Glass Lens
- Extraordinary Dispersion Glass elements ensure crisp detail and vibrant color from edge to edge. With inferior lenses there is a noticeable difference in the brightness of the image at the center compared to the outer edges of the frame. The primary benefit of this lens design is that it allows for a faster lens, capable of providing greater detail in shadow areas or in low light with less fall off of light from the center of the lens to its outer edges.
- 21 - Face Detection Auto Focus and Auto Exposure
- Face Detection Technology tracks faces within the frame and automatically focuses (Face Detection AF) and optimizes exposure (Face Detection AE) for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures. Even if your subjects are moving, the camera continuously tracks your subjects' faces without having to press the shutter button.
- 22 - Beauty Mode / Beauty With Make-up Modes
- Beauty mode touches up the appearance of subjects even while the shot is being taken. This feature recognises faces and automatically makes skin on the face and adjacent areas appear smoother, brighter and more youthful. It enables you to soften shadows and smooth wrinkles or blemishes on your subject's face -- all in the camera and as you capture the image. Additionally, subtle edits can be made post-capture using the Beauty Fix mode. Choose Clear Skin to smooth a person's complexion, Dramatic Eye to slightly emphasize the eyes, and Sparkle Eye to brighten and enhance the contrast of the iris and pupils. You can also apply all three edits at once.
Beauty Make-up mode enhances the look of faces in your shots. Laid out like a cosmetic toolbox, it lets you apply everything from eyeliner and eye shadow to rouge for skin blemishes. You can even lift cheekbones and morph your subjects to give them a cover-model look.
- 23 - Tap Control
- Many Stylus Tough series cameras can be controlled with a simple tap on their top, back or sides. This fgeature is made possible by an internal 3D accelerometer that detects the direction of the force on the camera's body. To turn on the flash or Shadow Adjustment Technology, all that is required is a couple of taps on the camera's sides and top. In adverse climates Tap Control ensures fast adjustment of settings even if you are fighting frostbite wearing large gloves that make pressing traditional buttons nearly impossible.
- 24 - AF Tracking
- AF Tracking technology locks your subject in focus, and continuously adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject are moving. This mode can remember the subject if it moves out of the frame. This enables you to keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects like small children in focus for the perfect shot. There's even a specially designed AF Tracking Pet Mode for animal lovers.
- 25 - Accessory Port Compatible With Select PEN® Camera Accessories
- To expand the camera's versatility, the XZ-2 includes an accessory port that is compatible with select PEN® camera accessories. Photographers can attach optional accessories like the SEMA-1 external microphone adapter, the VF-2 electronic viewfinder, or the MAL-1 macro light. These optional accessories easily slide into the camera's accessory port and hot shoe.
- 26 - Advanced Manual Controls
- The XZ-2 offers advanced manual controls that experienced photographers expect from larger digital SLR cameras. But, with the XZ-2, advanced features are easy to use. A control ring around the front of the lens and the wheel controller on the back provide immediate access to the most important manual settings like ISO, aperture and shutter speed to make it easy to adjust the camera on the move.
- 27 - AF Live View With AF Tracking
- AF Live View works as seamlessly as a point-and-shoot to display subjects, in focus, on the LCD the instant the shutter is pressed half way. AF Tracking locks your subject into focus right on the LCD, and constantly adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject is moving. With this mode, a simple push of the AF button and shutter release enables you to keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects in focus.
- 28 - 3D Photo Mode / 3D Photo Scene Mode
- Now you can add even more dimension to your photographs by shooting dynamic 3D photos in any mode from macro to landscape, and even under water. Recreate a sense of depth like that of the original scene. Catch a shot of your friends jumping into the water and view it in 3D. Simply select the 3D Photo Mode on your TG-610, release the shutter for your first shot, and slowly pan until the camera automatically takes a second image from a slightly different perspective. The 3D data is processed in-camera resulting in an .MPO file, the universal industry 3D format for easy display on 3D televisions or laptops.
3D Photo Scene Mode captures photos just like regular 3D Mode, but generates a red and cyan 3D anaglyph photo that can be viewed using supplied 3D glasses on any regular 2D display, including your camera's LCD. There's no need for a 3D-compatible computer, TV or photo frame.
- 29 - Eye-Fi Card Compatibility
- Ready to upload and share images of your adventures live, as they happen? The TG-610 is compatible with Eye-Fi SD cards (sold separately) adding Wi-Fi capability to the camera, enabling you to automatically upload images to your computer as you take them. Share your pictures of sandcastles right from the beach by uploading your shots immediately.
- 30 - iHS Technology
- Thanks to the iHS (Intelligent, High-Sensitivity and High-Speed) family of technologies, the Olympus Tough TG-820 iHS has brains as well as brawn. iHS harnesses the power of a new 12-megapixel BSI (Back-Side Illuminated) CMOS sensor and the TruePic VI image processor (originally developed for DSLR cameras) to dramatically improve low-light performance, speed up camera response time, enhance scene and subject recognition and double zoom magnification without losing image quality. The SZ-31MR iHS pairs a new 16-megapixel BSI (Back-Side Illuminated) CMOS sensor with dual TruePic V image processors (also originally developed for DSLR cameras).
iHS powers a number of new Olympus features that take all the work out of capturing difficult shots. A blazing quick autofocus and HDR Backlight Adjustment takes a collage of separate photos and blends them into one perfectly exposed image regardless of difficult lighting. Multi-Motion Movie IS (Image Stabilization) records virtually blur-free videos even when you're moving. The versatile lens on the Olympus Tough TG-820 iHS pulls out wide or zooms in twice as close with its 10x Super-Resolution Zoom that digitally extends the range of the optical zoom with nearly no loss of image quality. Capture beautiful images and videos effortlessly; Enhanced iAuto enables the camera to automatically detect 34 different scenes (portrait, landscape, macro, etc.)
- 31 - Multi-Recording Function
- With the SZ-31MR iHS's revolutionary DUAL TruePic™ V technology, capture HD movies and 16MP still images at the same time. Also shoot simultaneous wide-angle and telephoto movies, Full 1080p HD video and VGA movie files together or even Magic Filter and original Full HD movies at the same time!
- 32 - GPS and e.Compass
- The ideal travel guide. With the GPS and e.Compass functions on the TG-1 iHS, location and landmark information will be displayed and recorded along with the image. The TG-1 iHS is also equipped with a logging function so you can track the route taken from recorded images by using applications such as Google Earth and Picasa. And with the LI-90 battery, you'll worry less about battery life and more about your next destination.