Canon VB-M40 Pan/Tilt/Zoom Camera
Get Canon VB-M40 Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized U.S. Retailer for Canon
and Many Other Fine Brands!
Combining a compact, durable design with smooth movement, the Canon 1.3 Megapixel VB-M40 Pan/Tilt/Zoom IP security camera comes equipped with an impressive 20x optical zoom lens with 4x digital zoom, a 55.4-degree wide angle of view, and an advanced-algorithm Auto Focus for accurate focusing even in low-light, haze, and other challenging situations. The VB-M40's image quality is also aided by an Electronic Image Stabilization feature which minimizes blur that can be caused by vibration in the installation base. The VB-M40 is equipped with a 1/3-inch 1.3 Megapixel CMOS image sensor, Canon's advanced DIGIC NET processor for simultaneous transmission of high-quality 1280 x 960, 30 fps video in Motion JPEG and bandwidth-saving H.264 codec. The VB-M40 is equipped with On-board Video Analytics including Moving Object Detection, Removed Object Detection, Abandoned Object Detection and alerts for Camera Tampering and Volume Detection. The VB-M40 also conforms to the ONVIF network-interface standard for integration convenience.
The VB-M40 features several image enhancement functions. Image Stabilizer effectively works to compensate for image blur caused by exterior vibrations. Smart Shade Control automatically adjusts the contrast between bright and dark areas of an image for optimum detail display. With Auto Day/Night Capability, the camera automatically switches to night mode depending upon lighting conditions.
Canon VB-M40 Key Features
- Included Accessories
- Power Connector
- Installation Guide
- Warranty Card
- Normal and Reverse Mount
- Optional ceiling mounts are available for ceiling installations.
- Built-in Network Server
- The VB-M40 Network Camera can be connected to the Internet or your LAN in an instant. The camera's built-in Web and FTP server automatically assigns an IP address and provides various supports for networking protocols, including DHCP for easy, direct connection to the web and practically any network. Once connected, you're ready for a world of IP monitoring and webcast applications. The built-in web server and FTP server provide easy viewing access for up to 15 clients simultaneously, beneficial for on-line applications as such as Internet-based remote monitoring and Web-based attraction viewing at tourist destinations and in university settings. The diverse functionality of the VB-M40 camera enables up to 20 preset positions with a preset tour feature that allows automatic panning, tilting and zooming.
- Genuine Canon Optics: 20X Optical Zoom Lens / 4X Digital Zoom / 80X Combined Zoom
- Featuring Genuine Canon Optics, the VB-M40 has an ultra-long built-in zoom (20x optical) and wide angle lens (55.4-degree horizontal field of view), as well as an Auto Focus system and Image Stabilization. Thanks to Canon's optical technology, the VB-M40 ultra-long zoom is able to maintain edge-to-edge tonal accuracy and clarity through the entire zoom range. The Canon high-precision aspherical lens allows for high-resolution video in a variety of conditions. The lens system is built upon Canon video camera technology to provide high quality continuous video capture that is equipped to handle diverse lighting conditions and temperatures throughout the day. The VB-M40 is able to deliver superb visual quality and image consistency thanks to the brilliant lens technology Canon brings to its 20x Optical Zoom lens. Not only will you have a commanding view of your surveillance area, you'll have the best in high performance zooming from the 55.4-degree wide-angle to the 2.8-degree telephoto.
- Advanced Auto Focus
- The Advanced Auto Focus function is governed by Canon-exclusive digital algorithms that improve focusing accuracy even in low-light, haze, and other challenging situations.
- Electronic Image Stabilizer
- Image Stabilizer effectively works to compensate for image blur caused by exterior vibrations. This is useful against building vibration or strong winds, like when the camera is installed on an outdoor pole.
- 1/3-inch 1.3-Megapixel CMOS Image Sensor
- The VB-M40's approximately 1.3 million pixel CMOS delivers sharp, high resolution video with four times the detail of a VGA camera for clearer, more useful video monitoring. Genuine Canon optics combined with the high-sensitivity CMOS provides optimal contrast, and deliver excellent colors and tonal quality, even in low light.
- Canon DIGIC NET Processor
- The VB-M40 PTZ Network Camera uses the proprietary Canon DIGIC NET Processor, a powerful hardware-based engine that performs all image processing and encoding. This allows the VB-M40 to simultaneously deliver both H.264 and JPEG video in high resolution 1280 x 960 at the maximum frame rate of 30fps -- with no loss in frame rate, unlike many competing models.
- Smart Shade Control
- If the background of an image is too bright to see main subjects, the VB-M40 allows you adjust the contrast of the darker areas to make it easier to see. Unlike backlight compensation, the shade correction adjusts darker areas of the image, while maintaining the brightness of the brighter areas, so the background image remains clear. Since this process occurs in the camera, image degradation is minimized and the load on the system is reduced.
- Excellent Low-Light Performance
- The camera features a Genuine Canon optical zoom lens and sophisticated Canon DIGIC NET image processor. These proprietary components work together with a high-sensitivity CMOS sensor to enable the camera to capture potentially crucial image detail in low-illumination environments down to at least .03 lux at f/1.6 and 1/8 sec. in color and at least .001 lux at f/1.6 and 1/8 sec. in black and white with SSC (Smart Shade Control) on. The lens on the VB-M40 has been been treated with special coatings and engineered with new auto focus algorithms to allow the camera to provide high quality images even in the toughest lighting conditions (like starlight).
- H.264 High-Resolution Video
- The H.264 Codec of the VB-M40 provides superb image compression, delivering high resolution images with small data size, thereby resulting in low bandwidth utilization. The benefits are obvious, with an infrastructure cost savings as well as reduced data storage capability needs, all while maximizing the quality of the video image.
- Video Analytics
- Several in-camera Intelligent Features are designed to assist in identifying potentially crucial details in the video captured by the Canon VB-M40 IP security camera. These Intelligent Features include abandoned, moving, and removed object detection. User-adjustable in terms of detection area, sensitivity and duration, these features can engage configured alarms and notification functions. In addition to video analytics, camera analytics include detection of sound levels and camera tampering to alert for abnormal events in the vicinity of the camera's installation location.
Thanks to the VB-M40's impressive algorithm highly precise detection is achieved by using polygonal and rectangle shapes to specify up to 15 areas of detection (as opposed to only using rectangle shapes like some competitor models). Additional flexibility is provided in that notification of a detection can be made through the network from the camera using a number of functions including automatic recording, e-mail transmission, uploading video to a specified target server and events in ONVIF by the RM server. It is also possible to combine a number of detection functions for simultaneous notification.
- Auto Day / Night Capability
- The Auto Day/Night feature switches automatically in dark night-time conditions. You can select up to five different brightness levels for Auto Day/Night switching, to provide options for a wider range of environments. Capable of capturing color images of subjects with brightness as low as 0.03 lux (1/8 sec.), the VB-M40 is ideal for video monitoring of locations with variable lighting.
- Power over Ethernet (PoE)
- The Power Over Ethernet feature allows the camera to utilize a single Ethernet cable for data transmission and to power the camera. Because Power Over Ethernet makes a separate cable for electrical power unnecessary, this feature simplifies installation in single or multi-camera systems, particularly at sites where AC outlets are not readily accessible, resulting in faster and more cost effective installation.
- HTTPS and IPsec Support
- HTTPS and IPsec (IP security) are each a set of protocols for securing IP communications by encrypting data streams. IPsec secures the data flow to and from the camera, and ensures that only authorized users have access.
- Privacy Mask
- The Privacy Mask function can block sensitive locations (such as ATM keypads or computer monitors) from the camera's view while still allowing for a full range of motion.
- Built-in SD Memory Card Slot
- The built-in SD Memory Card slot allows still images to be saved to an SD/SDHC memory card during network outages. In addition, when issues occur, system logs are also created and stored on the SD card for future troubleshooting.
- Browser Access Restriction
- The VB-M40 provides three levels of user access to ensure security. In addition to the Administrator who has control of the entire system, users can be divided into registered users (Authorized) and general users (Anonymous). Each type of user has access to different monitoring functions and camera control as specified by the administrator.
- Three Light Metering Modes
- The VB-M40 offers three selectable metering modes, or methods for measuring brightness (amount of light) of subjects to set the exposure. Choose from Average, Center-Weighted or Spot, which can be switched depending on the shooting condition.
- Seven-Level Automatic Exposure Compensation
- Automatic exposure compensation offers seven levels of correction. Compared to other cameras where only positive correction for backlit situations is available the VB-M40 has negative correction for overly bright situations, so you can set the white balance and the light source to match the installation site.
- Shutter Priority Auto Exposure
- The VB-M40 allows you to select a desired shutter speed, and the camera will then set the matching aperture value for a proper exposure. If you change the shutter speed, or the light level changes, the camera adjusts the aperture accordingly. This is useful for fast-moving subjects such as cars in motion, where setting a fast shutter speed will ensure blur-free capture.
- Viewer-Controlled Pan, Tilt and Zoom
- A wide range of on-screen controls, and a precision mechanism that minimizes shaking and vibration make it easy to adjust pan, tilt and zoom to the exact view you need. The VB-M40 has an extremely wide pan and tilt range and provides coverage for a full 360 degrees horizontal field of view (pan range of plus-minus 170 degrees). The camera's viewing angle can be easily adjusted via PC, and images are exceptionally clear during PTZ movement without the occurrence of motion blur. The camera can pan or tilt at a rate of 150 degrees per second. The VB-M40 can quickly survey entire office areas and warehouses, covering far more territory than fixed cameras.
- Image Upload and Email Notification
- When subject motion is detected or if an external sensor is triggered, the camera is equipped to automatically send the images to a desired location via FTP/HTTP/SMTP (email). You can, for example, have the camera automatically send the images to a mobile phone or email address.
- ONVIF version 1.02 Conformant
- Third party integration is simple with the VB-M40 because it's ONVIF version 1.02 conformant. Compatibility with this standard protocol, as well as WebView, Canon's network camera protocol, enables the user to create a system which best meets their needs, with equipment from different manufacturers and third party recording software. It also simplifies the work of system integrators by expanding the ability to use third party recording software. This XML based standard systematizes the protocols of settings for camera, control and information acquisition. Among the functions supported are camera search by WS-Discovery, authentication by WS-Security, RTP streaming of video (JPEG, H.264), audio (G.711), events (including PTZ and Camera status) and Multicast. Network settings, camera system parameters, rebooting external IO control and preset home settings are also supported. In addition, SSL communication and setting of intelligent functions are also possible.
- Video data-streaming options for the VB-M40 IP security camera includes simultaneous transmission of H.264 and Motion-JPEG in resolutions of 1280 x 960, 640 x 480 and 320 x 240. Motion-JPEG can also be streamed at 160 x 120. All four Motion-JPEG resolutions can be streamed simultaneously at frame rates up to 30 fps. Only one H.264 resolution can be streamed at a time.
- Built-in Web Viewer
- The VB-M40 also features a built-in Web Viewer function for remote video monitoring by authorized users on any web browser, including smartphone web browsers or leading third-party applications. The camera ships with RM Lite, Canon's free network video and recording software for up to four cameras (RM Lite provides Motion-JPEG at 5fps).
- Full Duplex, Two-Way Audio Support
- Full duplex, two-way audio support allows the Network Camera to both send and receive audio simultaneously, which enables security professionals monitoring its video to hear and speak to people appearing on-camera, while using a microphone. Security professionals can speak into a microphone connected to their monitoring PC and be heard at the camera's location through a powered speaker connected to the camera.
- Built-in Terminals For Connection To External Devices
- The base of the VB-M40 is equipped with built-in terminals for connection to various external devices.
- Power Connection Socket connects the camera to an optional external power supply or AC adapter (not included). The terminal accepts 12 volts DC power or 24 volts AC power.
- 10/100 Base-T LAN Connector connects the camera to a network with an RJ-45 cable. The VB-M40 integrates the PoE (Power over Ethernet) functionality, so the power can be supplied to the camera via the LAN cable from a PoE Power Injector or an IEEE 802.3af-compliant PoE midspan or switch.
- Audio Input Terminal connects a microphone to the camera. The Administrator can then monitor the audio at the camera site from a remote location.
- Line Out Terminal connects a speaker to the camera. Audio can be sent to the camera by the Administrator from a remote location.
- External Device I/O Terminals - The camera has two input and two output terminals for the external devices, such as sensors or alarms.
Canon VB-M40 Specifications
- Image Sensor
- 1/3-inch CMOS Sensor
1.3 effective megapixels
- Scanning Method
- Progressive Scan
- 20x optical/4x digital/80x combined
- Video Signal
- Scanning Method
- Lens Focal Length / F-Stop
- f=4.7mm (W) ~ 94.0mm (T) / F1.6 (W) ~ F3.5 (T)
- Angle Of View
- 55.4° (W) ~ 2.8° (T)
- Day/Night Mode
- Auto / Manual
- IR Cut Filter
- Minimum Object Illumination
- Color: 0.03 Lux (F1.6, 1/8 sec., SSC ON)
Black & White: 0.001 Lux (F1.6, 1/8 sec, SSC ON)
- Auto / One-shot AF / Manual / Fixed Focus at Infinity (for dome use)
- Focus Range
- Day Mode: 1 ft
Night Mode: 3.3 ft
- Auto Exposure
- Auto / Flickerless / Shutter Priority AE / Manual
- Shutter Speed
- 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/100, 1/120, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/4000, 1/8000 sec.
- White Balance
- Auto / Select Light Source (Warm Fluorescent, White Fluorescent, Daylight Fluorescent, Mercury Lamp, Sodium Lamp, Halogen Lamp) / Lock (One-shot WB) / Manual
- Metering Modes
- Center-weighted / Average / Spot
- Exposure Compensation
- 7 Levels
- Smart Shade Control
- 7 Levels
- Image Stabilizer
- Electric (ON1 / ON2 / OFF)
- Pan Angle Range
- 340° - ±170°
- Tilt Angle Range
- Upright: 100° (-10° ~ 90°)
Ceiling-Mounted: 100° (-90° ~ 10°
- Pan / Tilt Speed
- 1 - 150° / second
- Video Compression Method
- Motion-JPEG / H.264 (video), JPEG (still images)
- Output Image / Video Capture Sizes
- JPEG: 1280 x 960, 640 x 480, 320 x 240, 160 x 120
H.264: 1280 x 960, 640 x 480, 320 x 240
- Video Quality
- MJPEG and H.264: 5 Levels
- Video Frame Rate
- M-JPEG: 0.1 ~ 30fps H.264: 30 / 15 / 10 fps
- Simultaneous Client Access
- M-JPEG: 30 clients
H.264: 10 clients
- Audio Compression Method
- G.711 ì-LAW (64 kbps)
- Audio Communication
- 2-Way Full Duplex
- 1 RJ-45 (100Base-TX, Negotiation: auto/full/half, IEEE 802.3af)
- IPv4: TCP / IP, UDP, HTTP, FTP, SNMP (MIB2), SMTP (client), DHCP (client), DNS (client), ARP, ICMP, POP3, NTP, SMTP authentication, WV-HTTP (Canon protocol), ONVIF
IPv6: TCP / IP, UDP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP (client), DNS (client), ICMPv6, POP3, NTP, SMTP authentication, WV-HTTP (Canon protocol), ONVIF
- Communication Encryption
- HTTPS, IPsec
- Camera Control User Types
- Administrator / Authorized Users / Guests
- 20 Positions
- View Restriction
- Privacy Mask
- Up to 8 locations
- Connection Restriction
- Username / password, IP address restriction
- Video Analytics (Intelligent Function)
- Image: Moving Object Detection / Removed Object Detection / Abandoned Object Detection / Camera Tampering Detection; Field of Detection: Max. 15 places
Sound: Volume Detection
- JPEG Image Upload
- FTP / HTTP / SMTP
- Event Notification
- HTTP / SMTP
- Temporary Storage
- Removable SD / SDHC card (up to 32gb), up to 1fps
- Display Languages
- English / Japanese / French / Italian / German / Spanish
- Audio Terminals
- Input: 1-Mini-Jack Connector (Monaural) LINE IN or MIC IN
Output: 1-Mini-Jack Connector (Monaural) LINE OUT
- External Device I/O Terminals
- Input x2, Output x2
- Operating Environment
- 14 - 122°F (-10 - 50°C) 20-85% RH (non-condensing)
- Power Supply
- PoE Via LAN Connector (IEEE 802.3af compliant)
Optional AC Adapter AC 100V - 240V (PA-V17)
Optional External Power AC 24V / DC 12V
- Power Consumption
- with PoE approximately 9.8 W
with Optional AC Adapter approximately 12.5 W
DC Input (DC 12V) approximately 10.6 W
AC Input (AC 24V) approximately 9.8 W
- Bundled Software
- VB Initial Setting Tool, RM-Lite
- Dimensions (Dia. x H)
- Approximately 5.2 x 6.1 inches (132 x 155 mm)
- Approximately 2.54 lbs. (1.15 kg)