Canon HF R42 Flash Memory Camcorder
Get Canon HF R42 Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized U.S. Retailer for Canon
and Many Other Fine Brands!
Compact and portable, the Canon VIXIA HF R42 is designed to capture and share life's every day moments with a 53x Advanced Zoom, SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization, innovative wireless streaming and remote control features. With 53x Advanced Zoom and a Genuine Canon HD Video Lens, capturing memories in crisp High Definition video is easier than ever. The HF R42 also offers a 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor, an improved image stabilization system and a new DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor for impressive low-light performance. In addition, the camcorder offers Full HD MP4 (35Mbps) and AVCHD Progressive (28Mbps) 60p recording, so every second is captured with stunning image quality.
With connectivity and instant sharing in mind, the VIXIA HF R42 offers several tools and features that make uploading content easy and convenient. The HF R42 features built-in Wi-Fi, allowing the camcorder to connect and stream live content to a variety of devices, including smartphones, tablets and PCs. Users can instantly upload their material to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY (one-time registration required) and share footage via email or send videos to friends and family live so content can be enjoyed as soon as it is captured. Remote Browse allows users to preview or download files to a smartphone, tablet or PC when using a web browser. Once the HF R42 is wirelessly connected, users can download or playback their videos instantly without the need for an application or other software.
For the ultimate in recording convenience, the VIXIA HF R42 provides 32 GB of internal memory while also offering the flexibility of capturing footage to an SD memory card. The new HF R42 features a new easy-to-use 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel screen for intuitive functionality and a higher-capacity battery, nearly doubling the recording length over previous models. Users now also have the option of creating stunning, high-quality 60p MP4 files (1920x1080 at 35Mbps) in addition to AVCHD Progressive (1920x1080 at 28Mbps) for added flexibility. With the new Dual Recording feature, users won't need to choose between recording formats, as the Canon VIXIA HF R42 camcorder can capture both simultaneously.
Canon HF R42 Key Features
- Canon HF R42 Supplied Accessories:
- BP-718 Battery Pack
- CA-110 Compact Power Adapter
- IFC-300PCU USB Interface Cable
- HTC-100 Mini HDMI Cable
- CD ROM: Photo Applications (ImageBrowser EX, Image Mix) / Music Disc
- Flash Memory Camcorder
- Flash Memory camcorders are able to read and write data faster than camcorders which use other types of storage. This means that you will be able to start recording faster and have immediate access to your recorded scenes. Because Flash Memory is solid-state storage, it is extremely stable. That means that accidental jolts to the camcorder are much less likely to result in failure or data loss. Since Flash Memory contains no moving parts, the camcorder requires less power. You will gain the advantage of longer recording times, perfect when on vacation or when capturing sports events and special occasions. Flash Memory allows the camcorder to be smaller, more compact, and lighter than ever before. You will benefit from sleeker design and the ability to take your camcorder anywhere.
- SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card Slot
- Get ready for a revolution in home movies with Canon's HF G10 flash memory camcorder. Lightweight, stylish and small enough to slip into a pocket, recording to flash memory means that you can shoot for longer without running out of power. And thanks to flash, operating the camcorder is quick and quiet, plus your footage stays safe. All Canon Flash Memory Camcorders record to SD, SDHC or SDXC memory cards, for ultra-easy sharing and uploading to a computer. Capture video and photos straight to memory card to store precious moments, then easily share them with friends and family. Since all Canon Flash Memory camcorders have an SDXC memory card slot, greater capacity can be added in the future by purchasing additional cards. Furthermore, an SDXC memory card can be easily inserted into a computer's memory card reader or an HDTV's card slot for instant viewing.
- Dual Flash Memory With 32 GB Internal Flash Drive
- If you need more storage space, the HF R42 camcorder offers a great Dual Flash Memory combination. The HF R42's 32GB internal memory gives you the power to capture over 12 hours of video (LP mode) or over 4 hours of 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording (FXP mode) without the need for spare discs, tapes or memory cards -- perfect when you're on vacation. Alternatively, capture straight to memory card to store precious moments, then easily share them with friends and family -- even transfer movies and stills from cards to the internal memory, to keep a record of what you're sharing.
- Relay Recording
- Allows users to capture uninterrupted video when the primary recording media is full. The camcorder will continue to record a scene by switching from one memory source to the other as it fills up, so that you won't miss a moment of action.
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Built-in Wi-Fi® opens up a world of new possibilities, giving you the connectivity and immediacy you expect today. The VIXIA camcorder is a sharing device, ready to send your video wherever you like: delight faraway relatives with video of a wedding seconds after it took place; share video of your travels as they happen; post event-documenting videos online more. Videos and photos can be easily shared over the internet with a free registration on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY* -- an online photo storage service that lets you upload to social networking sites. Connect with compatible home networks, wireless hotspots, and iOS® mobile devices using the free Canon Movie Uploader app**. And when you send video to your smartphone or tablet, you'll find it conveniently filed where your other videos are stored. Shoot video in your living room, and save it to the PC in your home office over your home network. Wireless setup with the VIXIA HF R42 is as quick and easy as it is with your other devices, and you can register and store up to three networks for immediate retrieval any time. And now you can use your PC to browse remotely through the previously shot videos stored on your camcorder, without connecting a cable***. The Remote Browse function uses a standard Web browser and does not require a special app.
- Live Streaming
- Live Streaming is a new function of the VIXIA HF R42 camcorder's built-in Wi-Fi®. It allows you to receive the live video and sound that your camcorder is recording from a remote location on your iOS® or Android™ device, using the free Canon CameraAccess app*. You can also remotely control camcorder functions including start/stop and zoom, and even access information about remaining battery charge, recordable time, zoom position and more. The applications are endless: you can monitor babies and pets, capture wildlife videos remotely without disturbing the scene, create perfect self-videos and lots more.
- Canon 3.28-megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor
- Canon's expertise in designing and manufacturing CMOS image sensors for its line of EOS Digital SLR cameras is now available in Canon HD camcorders. The improved 3.28-megapixel Canon CMOS sensor captures true HD information at 1920 x 1080, giving your images the ultimate in realistic detail. Canon's advanced noise reduction technology, ensures the purity of each pixel even in dim light, minimizing noise and other aberrations. It incorporates an RGB Primary Color Filter with Bayer placement to deliver a sharp HD image with vibrant and accurate color reproduction.
- True HD 1920 x 1080 Video
- Canon's expertise in designing and manufacturing CMOS image sensors for its line of EOS Digital SLR cameras is now available in the Canon HF R42 HDV camcorder. The 3.28 Megapixel CMOS sensor captures true HD information at 1920 x 1080, giving your images the ultimate in realistic detail. Canon's advanced noise reduction technology, ensures the purity of each pixel even in dim light, minimizing noise and other aberrations. It incorporates an RGB Primary Color Filter with Bayer placement to deliver a sharp HD image with vibrant and accurate color reproduction.
- RGB Primary Color Filter
- The HF R42's True HD CMOS Sensor's RGB Primary Color Filter separates the light passing through the lens into individual red, green, and blue color components, the same color filtration used in professional 3 CCD camcorders. As a result, the HF R42 deliver richer, more vibrant, and more accurate color reproduction than models using a conventional complementary color filter.
- Genuine Canon Optics - 32x High Definition Video Lens With 53x Advanced Zoom
- With more than 70 years of expertise in manufacturing lenses for professional broadcast and still photography, the Canon name represents optical excellence. The HF R42 features a Genuine Canon 32x HD Video Zoom Lens designed specifically to capture crisp high definition video. Its aspherical lens minimizes spherical aberration, meaning sharper focus on your subject. With Advanced Zoom, you can seamlessly zoom both wide and long, retaining optical quality throughout the zoom range. The zoom is quiet, and optimized for flash camcorders. Together with the Canon Exclusive 3.2-megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor and Canon's own DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, this lens helps you capture high definition video and photos with astonishing detail, vivid color and enhanced reproduction of the full tonal range, including the most difficult purple and blue shades.
The Canon 53x Advanced Zoom extends the power of your zoom. In both wide angle and telephoto positions, there is virtually no loss in image quality throughout the range. How is this accomplished? With a Genuine Canon lens which remains in constant motion through the entire extended zoom range aided by Canon's proprietary DIGIC DV 4 image processor.
- Dynamic Super-Range Optical Image Stabilizer
- Canon's Super-Range Optical Image Stabilizer helps deliver smooth, steady video, even at longer focal lengths. The system uses two detection methods (gyro and vector) to sense the widest range of vibrations from hand-held shake, to vibration from a moving vehicle. By using optical stabilization, it can compensate for a greater degree of camera shake and avoid any loss in image quality, unlike electronic image stabilizers. It is even effective for both video and photos. Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer takes shake correction to a whole new level. It provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct an even broader range of motion. Extra compensation is applied at wide-angle focal lengths to eliminate unwanted vibration common with walking.
- Powered IS
- In addition to Canon's Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization, Powered IS provides an even higher level of compensation for subtle hand movement at the telephoto end of the zoom range. This enhancement can be engaged by pressing the Powered IS button on the LCD panel.
- Intelligent IS
- Intelligent IS makes it easy to shoot clear, sharply focused video, even in situations that typically cause camera shake. The Intelligent IS system analyzes the shooting situation for you, then automatically switches to the image stabilization method best able to produce sharp, steady video. Four IS systems cover the gamut of shooting situations. Dynamic IS corrects minor movement and the shaking caused by walking while shooting. Macro IS delivers perfectly steady close-up shots. Powered IS comes into play when you're using the camcorder's powerful zoom, correcting shake that can occur in telephoto shots. Tripod Mode stops IS when the camcorder is stationary.
- DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor
- The latest and most advanced Canon HD Image Processor, the DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, is a significant upgrade on several fronts. The DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor captures more light, for brighter, noise-free images even in dark scenes. Dramatically increased processing power lets you record in both AVCHD and easy-to-share MP4 formats simultaneously.
- Variable Zoom Speed Control
- A sure sign of amateur video is the unsteady zoom shot. But with the Vixia HF R42's zoom control, you simply select one of three pre-set zoom speeds for smooth, steady, professional looking zooms.
- 3-inch Capacitive Touch Panel LCD
- The VIXIA HF R42 features a new 3.0-inch Capacitive Touch Panel LCD screen, making shooting and other operations easier than ever. Simply open the panel and the power is on. The improved display is clear and vivid, and just as with your smartphone or tablet, a gentle touch activates intuitive functions. Choose a focal point, track moving subjects, control exposure for selected areas, and operate camcorder controls from the screen, all with a simple touch. In addition, the user interface has been updated to make your shooting experience easier and more fun. The Home button is now on the menu screen, and provides quick access to all functions. Clear explanations for key settings pop up when selecting shooting modes and recording formats, so you can be confident in the decisions you make.
- Touch & Track
- Canon's Touch & Track technology enables users to select a subject on the Touch Panel LCD that the camcorder will then recognize and track. This sophisticated technology recognizes faces, objects, even animals, ensuring that your subject will always be in focus and properly exposed.
- Genuine Canon Face Detection
- The same high quality Face Detection technology used in Canon digital cameras is now available in Canon High Definition camcorders. Up to 35 faces can be detected automatically, and 9 detection frames can be displayed at one time. Genuine Canon Face Detection ensures razor-sharp focus and natural, accurate exposure of the chosen subjects. The system is so intelligent it will recognize faces that are turned downwards or sideways. In addition, a specific face may be selected as the main subject for continuous tracking. This feature can be used to search for clips featuring that specific subject's face. In search and playback, use of the Face Index will display frames with the chosen face as a thumbnail in each shot in which it appears. The selected face can be linked as a time line to further identify footage containing that subject.
- Dual Recording and Built-in Downconversion
- Dual Recording and built-in transcoding ensure that no matter how you decide to use the video you've recorded, you'll have the right format available. Using the power of the DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, this VIXIA camcorder can simultaneously record video to internal memory in AVCHD format, and to an SD card in MP4 format. The widely used MP4 format provides quick, conversion-free playback on tablets and smartphones, and lets you upload videos directly to social networking sites for easy sharing with friends, family and the world. AVCHD is perfect for watching videos on an HDTV or archiving them to Blu-ray discs. The camcorder also has a built-in transcoding function that converts AVCHD files to MP4s, or from MP4 to MP4 across memory media, making them easy to upload to the Web or save to an SD card.
- Cinema-Look Filters
- Cinema-Look Filters offer 7 different built-in filters allowing users to create video with a variety of professional cinematic looks.
- Cinema Standard: Recreates the warm tones and muted highlights of classic film.
- Cool: Adds a bluish tint for cool, futuristic-looking scenes.
- Old Movie: Gives video the aged look of old cinema.
- Nostalgic: Recreates the look of old '70s TV programs.
- Dramatic B&W: Creates bold black-and-white movies with high contrast and grain.
- Sepia: Applies a sepia tint for an antique, faded look.
- Vivid: Accentuates primary colors for a bright, cheerful look.
- Story Creator
- Story Creator assists you in the process of producing an organized video with a logical storyline. Choose one of five different themes -- Travel, Kids & Pets, Party, Ceremony and Blog -- and the camcorder provides a list of suggested scenes to shoot. Each theme has more than 20 scene suggestions. After you've captured your footage, Story Creator helps you categorize and rate your scenes, making it easy to review, select and play back your favorites.
- Touch Decoration
- Use the Touch Panel LCD while shooting to activate Touch Decoration, a novel feature that lets you superimpose and record a variety of fun and exciting images along with your video. Animations (e.g., shooting stars, thought bubbles, etc.), stamps, decorative frames and even freehand drawings (using the supplied stylus) can be added to give your videos a fun and creative flair.
- Baby Mode
- The VIXIA HF R42 features the new Baby Mode -- a complete solution for capturing, tracking, organizing and sharing every precious moment of your baby's development. A custom control button on the shooting screen activates the mode, and optimal settings for the shooting conditions, including Intelligent IS and more, are automatically selected. Simply pick up the camera and start recording, knowing capture will be of the highest quality. Videos shot in Baby Mode are automatically saved into a dedicated Baby Album so they'll never get lost among your other videos. You can then view the Baby Album chronologically for a seamless way to relive and share your baby's growth with friends and relatives.
When you're shooting in Baby Mode, the camcorder's Pre-Record (Pre REC) function is always on. This places the camcorder in a stand-by "pre-roll" mode, where it continuously records three seconds of video to memory before you even press the record button. When you start recording, the additional video is saved too, so it's easier than ever to capture the baby's "firsts" and every special moment. Touch Decoration in Baby Mode includes stamps to mark each video with your baby's current height and weight. And with a single registration of the baby's birth date, the camcorder will automatically calculate the number of days old and stamp videos accordingly, creating an exact diary of developmental milestones for years to come. The camcorder's other Touch Decoration options, including your own drawings, captions, animations and more, are fully available in Baby Mode, and all can easily be appended to previously shot video as well.
- Audio Scene Select
- Audio Scene Select offers five modes that automatically optimize settings based on the recording situation, making it easy to record realistic, immersive audio in a range of situations.
- Standard: Default setting, best for recording in a variety of audio environments
- Speech: Audio recording focused on the speaker in front of the camera
- Music: Rich soundstage and timbre, perefect for live indoor performances
- Noise Suppression: Reduces ambient sound, such as wind and moving vehicles
- Forest and Birds: Useful in fairly quiet settings, natural soundscapes are clearly audible
- 24p Cinema Mode
- 24p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional film-like look. You can change the camcorder's frame rate to 24p, which provides the same frame rate as movie film. In addition, you can use the HF R42's CINE setting, which changes the color and tonal characteristics, evoking the look and feel of a movie shown in a theater. For added flexibility, these settings can be used together, or independently.
- 30p Progressive Mode
- In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the Vixia HF R42 to capture video in 30p which is (30 progressive frames) particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet. In addition, this setting gives enhanced quality to still images captured after recording. Excellent for action shots and sports.
- SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card Compatible
- The Canon VIXIA HF R42 camcorder is compatible with SDXC memory cards, the newest version of the ultra-compact Secure Digital card, delivering super-high capacity storage and ultra-fast data transfer speeds. Unlike the previous SDHC standard, which has storage capacity ranging from 4GB to 32GB, SDXC increases storage capacity from more than 32GB up to 2TB.
- Smart Auto
- The Smart Auto mode makes shooting great video even easier by utilizing Canon's DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor to intelligently detect and analyze brightness, color, distance and movement and automatically select the best setting for the scene being recorded.
- Advanced Video Snapshot Mode
- Advanced Video Snapshot Mode allows you to create a series of movie clips, in both recording and playback modes, and add music to create the perfect highlight movie. Advanced Video Snapshot mode has been upgraded to provide the flexibility of capturing 2, 4, or 8 second video clips while recording or during playback.
- Convenient HDMI Terminal
- The HF R42 allows easy connection to today's latest HD televisions through its HDMI Terminal. Only one cable is needed to output a pure digital signal (video and audio) for the ultimate viewing experience.
- Tele Macro
- With Tele Macro, the camcorder automatically zooms the lens to full telephoto and changes the closest focusing to about 20 inches -- the ideal setting for ultra-close-up shooting. Conventional camcorders set the minimum focusing distance to approximately three feet at the telephoto end of the zoom range, making it difficult to use the lens's full magnification power. You can use Tele Macro to capture spectacular close-ups with shallow depth-of-field.
- USB 2.0 High Speed
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed provides a direct connection to computers for fast transfer of video and still images. You can even use the camcorder as an external DVD burner for making duplicates of home movies.
- Intelligent Lithium-ion Battery
- The Intelligent Lithium-ion battery which powers the HF R42 is a major, and useful, advance. It not only more accurately tracks remaining battery life, it also gives a display in minutes remaining. It will allow you to better plan your shooting, so you won't be caught out with a battery that suddenly goes from 'half' to 'empty'.
- Microphone Terminal and Headphone Terminal
- With the HF R42's Microphone Terminal you can attach an external microphone if you need to record audio more accurately from a specific source. The microphone terminal allows you to capture professional-quality sound with an external microphone and manual audio level control ensures proper volume for any situation. In addition, you'll find a dedicated headphone terminal, ideal for remote communication with the optional Wireless Microphone WM-V1 and other applications.
- Connect Directly to External Drives With Optional USB Adapter
- When it comes to saving your memories, the VIXIA HF R42 camcorder offers plenty of flexibility. In addition to traditional file storage methods, you can connect the camcorder directly to an external hard disk drive by using the optional UA-100 USB adapter to store video files safely and securely without a computer, an economical option for high-capacity storage on vacations or other trips. Using a USB connection, you can even play video on a TV via the camcorder.
Canon HF R42 Specifications
- Video Formats:
- MPEG4-AVC / H.264 High Definition
- Audio Format:
- Audio AVCHD: Dolby Digital AC3 (2 Channel)
MP4: MPEG-2 AAC-LC (2 Channel)
Sampling Frequency: 48 KHz
- Recording Media:
- Dual Flash Memory: Internal Flash Memory (32 GB) or SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card (1 slot)
Use of Class 4 or above (4, 6 or 10) memory cards is recommended for recording MXP or FXP (1920 x 1080 pixel recording) movies. For other recording formats, a Class 2 or higher card is recommended. Also, movie (AVCHD/MP4) recording requires cards with 128MB of memory or more.
- Image sensor:
- 1/4.85-inch CMOS, approx. 3.28 Megapixels gross, RGB Prmary Color Filter
- Number of Effective Pixels:
- Video: Approx. 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
Photo: Approx. 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- Maximum Recording Time, 32 GB Internal Flash Drive:
- AVCHD LP (5 Mbps) 12 hours 15 minutes - 1440 x 1080
AVCHD FXP (17 Mbps) 4 hours 10 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
AVCHD MXP (24 Mbps) 2 hours 55 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
AVCHD 60p 2 hours 30 minutes - 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
MP4 4Mbps (1280 x 720): 17 hrs. 20 min.
MP4 17Mbps (1920 x 1080): 4 hr. 10 min.
MP4 24Mbps (1920 x 1080): 2 hr. 55 min.
MP4 35Mbps (1920 x 1080): 2 hr. 20 min.
Recording time based on internal flash memory only. Greater capacity is possible when SD memory card is also used (1 card slot).
- Zoom Ratio: 53x Advanced Zoom* / 32x Optical Zoom / 1060x Digital Zoom
Focal Length: f=2.8 - 89.6 mm
35 mm Equivalent, Optical Zoom: 38.5 - 1232 mm (Advanced Zoom Off)
35 mm Equivalent, Advanced Zoom On: 32.5 - 1723 mm
Max. F/Stop f/1.8 - 4.5
- Zoom Speed:
- Variable/3 Fixed Zoom Speeds
- Filter diameter:
- Minimum Focusing Distance:
- 0.4 inch / 1 cm (wide); 3.28 feet / 1 m (entire zoom range); 19.7 inches / 50 cm (Tele Macro)
- Focusing System
- TTL (through the lens)
- Image Stabilization:
- Optical System (Lens-shift system)
Intelligent IS in Auto/Baby mode: Dynamic IS (default), Powered IS, Macro IS, Tripod Mode
IS Modes other than Intelligent IS; Dynamic IS and Powered IS settings can be made manually in Manual*/Cinema Mode: Standard IS, IS Off
Angle detection and sensor-based movement vector detection (hybrid supported)
- Programmed AE:
- Smart Auto, Program, Scene (Portrait, Sports, Night, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks), Cine (P mode only), Baby Mode
- Manual Exposure
- Max Shutter Speed:
- Movie: 1/2000, Still image: 1/500
- White Balance:
- Auto, Daylight, Tungsten, Manual
- Frame Rate
- AVCHD: 60i, 30p Progressive, 60p Progressive
MP4: 24p Progressive, 30p Progressive, 60p Progressive
- Minimum Illumination
- 5 lux
0.4 lux (Low Light mode, shutter speed 1/2-second)
- LCD Screen:
- 3.0-inch widescreen color Capacitive Touch Panel LCD, approx. 230,000 pixels
- USB Terminal
- mini-AB: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed supported
- Microphone Terminal:
- 3.5mm Stereo Mini-jack
- Video Terminal
- composite (output)
- HDMI Terminal
- HDMI Mini Connector (output), CEC, x.v. Color supported
- AV Mini Terminal/Headphone Terminal
- 3.5 mm 4 pole mini-jack (video/audio output only)
- Accessory Shoe
- Operating Temperature Range
- Approx. 23° to 113° F / -5° to 45° C, 65% relative humidity (storage)
Approx. 32° to 104° F / 0° to 40° C, 85% relative humidity (working)
- Dimensions (W x H x D):
- Approx. 2.1 x 2.2 x 4.6 inches (53 x 57 x 116 mm) not including grip belt
- approx. 8.3 oz. (235 g) not including grip belt, battery pack and memory card
approx. 10.1 oz. (285 g) fully loaded (including BP-718 and memory card and grip belt)