Canon PowerShot N
Also available in White.
Get Black Canon PowerShot N Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized U.S. Retailer for Canon
and Many Other Fine Brands!
The Canon PowerShot N digital camera is built to inspire creative exploration and encourage instant sharing of life's every day moments. With an innovative Creative Shot mode that enhances artistic expression and a variety of new connectivity features that support instant sharing, Canon's PowerShot N is the ultimate storytelling tool. Helping people's creativity bubble to the surface, the PowerShot N offers Creative Shot, a new imaging mode that intuitively analyzes an image and automatically creates a series of five artistic photos of the original with varying composition, lighting and color for an array of options that are ready to impress. In addition, the new PowerShot is equipped with enhanced wireless capabilities that connect the camera to a variety of mobile devices instantly, so users can upload and comment on their images while on the go.
In addition to offering powerful artistic and connectivity functions, the PowerShot N features a 2.8-inch capacitive, tilt-touch panel LCD, allowing users to capture creative images at unique angles. With a shutter and zoom ring, both located on the top and bottom of the lens, images can be snapped from virtually any position so the perfect shot is always within reach. The PowerShot N offers an 8x optical zoom and a 28mm wide-angle lens, packaged with a 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor, so your moments can be captured and preserved in stunning quality. Users can also record beautiful 1080p Full HD video with a dedicated movie button, so life's moving moments are not missed.
With the built-in Hybrid Auto and Face ID systems, pin-sharp focus can be achieved quickly and easily while the camera automatically recognizes and focuses on familiar faces. For the ultimate in shooting convenience, Canon's Intelligent IS System allows the camera to automatically select the optimal image stabilization settings according to the shooting conditions, taking the guesswork out of identifying the ideal setting for each unique shot.
Canon PowerShot N Key Features
- Canon PowerShot N Digital Camera Supplied Accessories:
- Lithium-Ion Battery Pack NB-9L
- Compact Power Adapter CA-DC30
- Wrist Strap WS-800
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- Canon Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM
- Built-in WiFi And Mobile Device Connect Button
- The PowerShot N is equipped with enhanced wireless capabilities, so high-quality images can be shared with friends and family even while on-the-go. After an initial one-time set-up, the new Mobile Device Connect Button connects the camera to a variety of mobile devices for quick and easy sharing. Users simply press the Mobile Device Connect Button and launch Canon's free CameraWindow application*, available on both the iOS and Android operating systems**, to wirelessly transfer photos and videos to their device. Frequently used devices and accounts are conveniently stored in the camera's wireless history menu for quick one-touch access.
With these enhanced wireless capabilities, users now have the ability to comment on their uploaded photos directly from the camera -- so being part of conversations taking place on social networking sites is easy and convenient. In addition, individuals can control the destination of Facebook uploads -- choosing to share content with everyone, or post photos only to selected Facebook groups. Users can also instantly upload images wirelessly from the camera to Canon iMAGE GATEWAY***, and automatically upload them to a computer remotely. Photos can also be printed wirelessly using Wireless PictBridge**** on select Canon printers, including the new PIXMA MG6320 or PIXMA MX922 Wireless Photo All-In-One printers, so special moments can be preserved and cherished.
- Creative Shot Mode
- The Creative Shot mode featured on the PowerShot N can help anyone create images with artistic flair. Rather than randomly applying filters, Creative Shot mode takes advantage of Canon's advanced image and scene analysis technology to apply a range of artistic presets based on the individual scene, subject, and exposure. In addition to the original shot, the camera automatically produces and saves five unique variations of the composition by cropping it, rotating it, or adjusting its color, tone, and more. The result is stunning artistic photos that are perfect for sharing.
- Genuine Canon 28mm Wide-Angle Lens With 8x Optical Zoom, 32x Combined Zoom
- The Canon PowerShot N camera houses a genuine Canon 8x optical zoom and 28mm wide-angle lens. The impressive zoom with optical image stabilization allows users to snap a memorable, highly detailed shot from a variety of distances. Whether you're at a sporting event, school play, or just out and about shooting, you'll love how the N's powerful wide-angle 8x Optical Zoom gets you up close fast and puts more image into every frame. The PowerShot N digital camera's 8x zoom lens has an equivalent film focal length of 28 - 224 mm (f/3.0 at wide angle and f/5.9 at telephoto). Despite the impressive range of the zoom lens, it retracts securely into the camera when it is powered down. The optical zoom can be augmented by the camera's 4x digital zoom raising the maximum (35mm equivalent) focal length to that of a 896mm lens.
Canon's heritage as an imaging company dates back over 70 years to the company's founding in 1934. Since then, Canon has worked hard to perfect the process of creating extremely high-quality optics for its line of imaging products and is now the world's largest manufacturer of cameras and lenses. Canon is a global leader in optical design, with many advanced and original technologies that allow Canon users to achieve the sharpest images possible.
- Optical Image Stabilizer
- Canon's sophisticated Optical Image Stabilizer technology uses miniature gyroscopic sensors to detect motion and generate a corrective signal. An image stabilizing lens group along the optical axis is shifted in response to the detected motion, providing effective cancellation of unwanted lens movement and vibration. The benefits are obvious and enormous: in still photography, the camera can now be handheld at slower shutter speeds without resulting in blurred images. Handheld video footage is smoother -- free of the unsteadiness that can make viewing home movies tiresome.
The PowerShot N's Lens-Shift type optical image stabilization system is based on advancements made in the development of Canon's EF lenses and video lenses. Unlike electronic or digital image stabilization systems that typically degrade image quality, the PowerShot N digital camera's lens shift-type preserves maximum optical performance.
- Intelligent IS
- One of the most important innovations for a point-and-shoot camera has been Image Stabilization (IS) since it helps improve image quality by reducing camera blur for both images and videos. Canon has taken this technology one step further with the Intelligent IS which automatically chooses from six different modes (Normal, Macro, Panning, Dynamic, Powered, Tripod) to optimize image stabilization and help achieve crisp, blur-free images for various shooting conditions.
- 2.8-inch Capacitive Tilt Touch Panel LCD Monitor
- The PowerShot N features a newly designed 2.8-inch capacitive LCD monitor that is more than just a means of reviewing your photos. 90-degrees of tilt open up new perspectives when framing shots -- shoot diagonally, horizontally, from low angles or high for the perfect emphasized shot. The top-mounted hinge keeps the PowerShot N compact, even when folded out, for easy, one-handed operation. Adjust settings and modes using the intuitive touch-screen menu -- use gestures to zoom, rotate, and select images. The camera's 2.8-inch, 461,000-pixel LCD screen gives you the big picture, whether you're shooting, reviewing or showing off your images.
- Shutter And Zoom Rings
- Dual rings provide effortless control over the lens and shutter. The outer ring controls the shutter, which can be released from any point on the ring. Whichever angle or position you choose to hold the PowerShot N, the shutter release is always under your finger for quick and discreet release. The inner ring controls the zoom of the 28mm Wide-Angle 8x Optical Zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilizer, ensuring your images are sharp and clear. Responsive and silent zoom action provides a welcome feel of tactile control that makes operating the PowerShot N an incredible experience.
- High Sensitivity (HS) System
- Whether shooting a large family photo at a sunset wedding or capturing a historical monument at night, the PowerShot N digital camera captures clear, exceptional images in low-light settings thanks to Canon's HS System. Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor combined with a 12-megapixel High Sensitivity CMOS sensor make up Canon's HS System. The 12-megapixel CMOS Sensor positions the light-receiving surface for optimal light reception. More light means clearer, blur-free images with plenty of detail and nuance, even in dark areas. Working together with the CMOS sensor to deliver the HS SYSTEM is Canon's advanced DIGIC 5 Image Processor, which actively reduces noise and delivers high speed image processing. The HS System enhances image quality and helps reduce noise at high ISO levels. It also helps to accentuate a number of hard-to-get details in images with decreased lighting. Canon's HS System enables users to capture dimly lit scenes without a flash, resulting in a more natural look for photos.
- 1080p Full HD (1920 x 1080 Pixels at 24 fps) Video
- When it comes to capturing a child walking for the first time or a person diving into a pool on vacation, shooting HD video is the ideal option. With Canon's legacy of delivering exceptional photos, the PowerShot N digital camera helps to drive users beyond the still and encourage them to explore the world of HD video. It also helps a person to relive the experience when looking back at the images. This feature offer extraordinary resolution, color and clarity to all cherished moments. Helping to heighten the quality of video, the PowerShot N includes Miniature Effect movie mode. Available as a scene mode for shooting still photography, the Miniature Effect movie mode creates the illusion where large objects are shown in miniature proportions, providing a creative way to play back video. Combined with stereo sound, the inclusion of HD video capabilities, along with outstanding still image quality, help make the PowerShot N the ultimate image-capture device.
- Super Slow Motion Movie
- Give your videos a whole new look with the Super Slow Motion Movie function. Whether you're going for a dreamy, creative slant when documenting family moments, or making a highlight film of your kids' greatest sports plays, you'll love the high quality capture of this all-new feature. The camera shoots your clips at high speed (approx. 240fps) and plays them back at 30fps for the inimitable super slow motion feeling you'll love.
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
- Since their groundbreaking introduction in 1999, Canon DIGIC Image Processors have set the standard for performance and brought powerful new features to PowerShot digital cameras with each successive generation. The latest-generation Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor features improved chip architecture and algorithms for phenomenal increases in processing speed and power, delivering greatly expanded functionality with further refinements in image quality. PowerShot cameras with DIGIC 5 feature higher quality continuous rapid shooting, improved noise reduction under low light, an advanced Multi-Area White Balance System and Face ID.
- 12.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS
- The PowerShot N employs a Canon 12.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor, which delivers state-of-the-art imaging performance and is optimized for use in compact cameras. Utilizing a sophisticated light-capturing design, it provides high sensitivity for improved high ISO capture with reduced noise. It is also a high-speed design, capable of rapidly capturing and moving image data to the processor, enabling faster continuous shooting and faster autofocus.
- ECO Mode
- The PowerShot N takes energy conservation to the next level with ECO Mode, which provides more shots per single charge through monitor and camera power management. ECO Mode can be activated for easy power preservation when an outlet is unavailable or the moment is too exciting to put the camera down. ECO Mode quickly wakes the camera from sleep when a button is pressed or with a touch of the LCD screen. With ECO Mode activated to conserve power, you can even stay connected for longer with the built-in Wi-Fi feature on the PowerShot N. With ECO Mode, you can be sure that your camera will keep up when fun with family and friends runs late into the night!
- Advanced Smart AUTO With Face ID
- Advanced Smart AUTO, available in the PowerShot N, can detect up to 58 scenes varying from non-human moving subjects to people, landscapes, pets and vehicles, helping the camera determine the best mode of shooting. This technology has been enhanced to include a Face ID feature, allowing users to register up to 12 people on the camera and have the camera recognize and prioritize each person. When registering individuals on the camera, users can take up to five images of a subject at various angles or facial expressions and enter their name and birth date. This allows the camera to make one of three age distinctions: Babies (0 to 1 year old), Children (2 to 12 years old) or Adults (13 years or older). Based on these different groups, the camera will give focus priority to the youngest recognized group in the frame and makes the images searchable as well with the ability to view only those images of a particular person.
- Hybrid Auto
- Hybrid Auto Automatically selects shooting settings for optimal quality and records a video clip before capturing a still image. One day's worth of clips are then combined into a video.
- Movie Digest Mode
- Putting together a video containing highlights from family vacations, important occasions and other special events is now easier than you might imagine. Using the Movie Digest Mode, you can have the camera automatically record a short video clip (up to approximately 4 seconds) every time you shoot a still image. The camera will then combine an entire day's worth of clips into a single video. No editing required -- Movie Digest Mode does all the work, so you can sit back and enjoy your video!
- Touch Shutter
- PowerShot models with Touch Shutter enable you to start tracking a subject by pointing to it on the touch panel LCD, then take the picture simply by lifting your finger off the screen.
- Soft Focus Mode
- The PowerShot N makes it easier than ever to give your images a professional look with scene modes that instantly mimic the effects of post-production editing and special filters. Soft Focus creates a hazy ambiance that's perfect for nostalgic portraits, romantic shots, wedding photos and more. The mode can be set to Low, Medium or High for just the right effect
- 11 Shooting Modes, Including SMART Auto, Creative Shot and Hybrid Auto
- The Canon N offers a wide variety of shooting modes to optimize the camera's performance based on user preferences or shooting conditions. With 11 Shooting Modes including Smart Auto, you're ready for whatever shot comes your way. These modes include:
- SMART Auto - The camera chooses all the settings so you can concentrate on your subject. Also available for movies.
- Hybrid Auto - Automatically selects shooting settings for optimal quality and records a video clip before capturing a still image.
- Creative Shot - Analyzes the scene and applies a number of creative filters to automatically create five variations in addition to the original image.
- Program - Access advanced exposure compensation features while shooting mostly automatically.
- Fisheye Effect - Uses barrel distortion to warp the image around the center, giving a distinctive curvature effect to the photo. The curvilinear images produced by Fisheye Effect can suggest the curve of the Earth, the inside of a dome, or the image you see through the peephole of a door.
- Miniature Effect - Creates an illusion where very large objects appear in miniature proportions. Turn soaring cityscapes into a scene in seemingly dollhouse-like proportions.
- Toy Camera Effect - Simulates photos taken with "toy" or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effect.
- Soft Focus - Creates a hazy ambiance that's perfect for portraits and wedding photos.
- Monochrome - Choose from three single-tone effects: Black-and-White, Sepia, or Blue
- Super Slow Motion Movie - Record your clips in high speed (approx. 240 fps), and then watch your videos in slow motion
- Movie: Record video; unwanted scenes can be deleted in playback mode.
- Canon iSAPS Technology
- Over the past 68 years, Canon has accumulated a vast amount of photographic data and know-how and used it to create some of the most innovative camera products in the marketplace. Now, using that same data and know-how, Canon has developed an exclusive technology called iSAPS (Intelligent Scene Analysis based on Photographic Space) that can predict certain camera settings such as focusing distance, exposure and optimum white balance based on zoom focal length, overall light level and tonal distribution data. Canon refers to this collective data as "Photographic Space." By incorporating iSAPS technology into its PowerShot line, the cameras can analyze a scene just before the image is made and in doing so, increase the speed and precision of the camera's autofocus, auto exposure and auto white balance.
- Advanced Red-eye Correction
- Red-eye Correction provides three options for removing red-eye from subjects in flash pictures. The Red-eye Correction during shooting actually identifies and corrects red-eye in human subjects as pictures are taken. The N can be set to automatically detect and correct red-eye during image playback. You can manually locate any red eyes in a scene during image playback on the LCD screen, and command the camera to remove them.
- microSDHC / microSDXC / microSD Memory Card Compatibility
- The Canon PowerShot N digital cameras uses the incredibly tiny microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. The PowerShot N is compatible with the newest microSDHC memory cards.
- Direct Printing
- You've taken the picture, reviewed it, like it and can not wait to print it out. What next? Direct Printing significantly expands the appeal of the PowerShot N digital camera by making it simple, quick and convenient to produce high-quality photos without the need for a personal computer. Simply connect the N directly to a Canon Compact or Canon Direct Photo Printer, as well as PictBridge compatible printer. Beyond its Direct Print capability with Canon's Compact Photo Printers and acclaimed Canon Direct Photo Printers, the camera is also PictBridge compatible, an industry standard that offers the flexibility of direct printing to other brands of PictBridge compatible printers.
The PowerShot N digital camera supports Exif Print, a worldwide standard that transfers important camera settings and data from the camera to the printer ensuring the photos you print will look true to life. Moreover, DPOF 1.1 (Digital Print Order Format) lets users specify the images to be printed or execute batch printing of selected images.
- Noise Reduction
- Experienced photographers know that high ISO speeds can coincide with increased levels of noise: aberrant or stray signals that degrade image quality. With Canon's exclusive DIGIC 4 Image Processor, there is no need for compromise. DIGIC 5 offers a major boost in noise reduction signal processing to compensate for the higher ISO settings it enables.
- High-Speed USB 2.0
- The pace of image transfer is accelerated (when used with a USB 2.0 compatible computer, printer or other peripheral) thanks to the inclusion of a High-Speed USB 2.0 port. The USB 2.0 port is backwards compatible (at no increased speed) with computers featuring standard USB 1.1 connections.
- Built-in Multi-Mode Flash
- Adding to the power of this aptly named PowerShot camera is a powerful built-in flash with six modes: auto, auto with red-eye reduction, flash on (fill-in flash), flash on with red-eye reduction, flash off and slow synchro.FE lock is available.
- White Balance Control
- Different light sources have different temperatures that can dramatically affect the quality of pictures. So the camera is equipped with selectable high-precision White Balance Settings to handle a full range of shooting conditions. There are 5 presets: Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent and Fluorescent H. Plus there's also an Auto setting.
- Selectable Light Metering
- The PowerShot N provides a range of Canon's highly advanced exposure features that offer greater control and greater convenience. Selectable Light Metering offers three settings. In the Evaluative setting, the camera reads multiple points across the frame for optimal overall exposure. The Spot Metering setting concentrates on a single area at the center of the image for greater precision in high contrast situations. Centerweighted Averaging Metering, with emphasis on the center of the viewfinder, averages metering out over the entire picture area.
Canon PowerShot N Specifications
- Type of Camera:
- Compact digital still camera with built-in flash and Optical image stabilizer (OIS) system, 8x optical zoom / 4x digital zoom / 32x combined zoom
- Image Capture Device:
- 12.8 million pixel gross, 1/2.3-inch type CMOS, Approx. 12.1 Million Effective Pixels
- 5.0 - 40.0 mm, f/3.0 - f/5.9 zoom lens (equivalent to 28 - 224 mm in 35mm format)
- Optical Zoom
- Digital Zoom
- Focus Range:
- Normal AF: 0.4 in. (1 cm) - infinity (WIDE), 3.3 ft. (1 m) - infinity (TELE)
- Autofocus System
- TTL Autofocus
- Maximum Aperture
- f/3.0 (W), f/5.9 (T)
- Shutter Speed:
- 1-1/2000 sec.
15-1/2000 sec. (Total shutter speed range)
- Exposure Control:
- Program AE
- Exposure Compensation:
- +/- 2.0 EV in 1/3 step increments (not available when shooting movies)
- Light Metering Method:
- Evaluative, Center-weighted average or Spot metering
- ISO Sensitivity (in P mode):
- Auto (camera automatically sets the optimal ISO speed according to shooting mode) or User Set ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 equivalent (Standard Output Sensitivity. Recommended Exposure Index)
- White Balance Control:
- Auto, Pre-set (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H)
- Built-in Flash Modes:
- Auto, Flash On, Slow Synchro, Flash Off
- Flash Recycling Time:
- Approx. 10 sec. or less (battery voltage=3.7V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation:
- LCD Viewfinder:
- 2.8-inch TFT Color Tilt (up to 90°) Capacitive Touch LCD, Approx. 461,000 pixels, LCD Coverage 100%
- Resolution (Recording Pixels):
- Still Image 16:9 - 4000 x 2248 (Large), 2816 x 1584 (Medium 1), 1920 x 1080 (Medium 2), 640 x 360 (Small)
Still Image 3:2 - 4000 x 2664 (Large), 2816 x 1880 (Medium 1), 1600 x 1064 (Medium 2), 640 x 424 (Small)
Still Image 4:3 - 4000 x 3000 (Large), 2816 x 2112 (Medium 1), 1600 x 1200 (Medium 2), 640 x 480 (Small)
Still Image 1:1 - 2992 x 2992 (Large), 2112 x 2112 (Medium 1), 1200 x 1200 (Medium 2), 480 x 480 (Small)
Movie - Full HD: 1920 x 1080 (24 fps**), HD: 1280 x 720 (30 fps*), 640 x 480 (30 fps*)
Super Slow Motion Movie - 640 x 480 (120 fps shooting, 30 fps* playback), 320 x 240 (240 fps shooting, 30 fps* playback)
Video made in Movie Digest mode - 1280 x 720 (30 fps*)
Miniature Effect - HD: 1280 x 720 (6 fps, 3 fps or 1.5 fps shooting, 30 fps* playback); 640 x 480 (6 fps, 3 fps or 1.5 fps shooting, 30 fps* playback)
- File Size: (average)
- 4:3 Small/Fine - 150 KB
- 4:3 Med. 2/Fine - 558 KB
- 4:3 Med. 1/Fine - 2073 KB
- 4:3 Large/Fine - 3537 KB
- 16:9 Large/Fine - 2915 KB
- 3:2 Large/Fine - 3247 KB
- 1:1 Large/Fine - 2640 KB
- Movie Full High Definition 1920 x 1080, 24 fps** - 4355 KB/sec.
- Movie High Definition 1280 x 720, 30 fps* - 3054 KB/sec.
- Movie 640 x 480, 30 fps* - 1416 KB/sec.
- Image Storage Capacity:
- Image Quality Mode (JPEG):
- File Format:
- Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF Version 1.1 (Digital Print Order Format) compliant
- Image Recording Format:
- Still Image: JPEG (Exif 2.3 compliant)
Movies: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM 2-channel monoaural)
- Recording Media:
- microSD Memory Card, microSDHC Memory Card, microSDXC Memory Card
- Continuous Shooting
- Normal: Approx. 2.3 shots/sec. (in P mode)
- Shooting Modes:
- Auto, Hybrid Auto, P, Creative Shot, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Slow Motion Movie, Movie
- Photo Effect:
- Operates with approx. 2 sec. or 10 sec. delay
- Playback Modes:
- Still Images and Video: Auto Rotate (Automatic vertical/horizontal detection), Search (Date, Movies, Still Images)
Still Images: Single, Index (4-100 thumbnails), Magnification (Approx. 2x-10x), Information Display, Red-eye Correction, Overexposure Warning, Resume Playback, Photobook Set-up
Videos: Normal Playback (Audio settings available in 5 levels), Pause, Skip Backward (approximately 4 seconds), Skip Forward (approximately 4 seconds), Previous Frame (Rewind available), Next Frame (Fast-forward available)
- Erase Modes:
- Still images: Select image, all images)
The image data in the memory card stored with the Design rule for Camera File systems format can be erased (however, protected images cannot be erased).
Movies can be erased individually.
- Dedicated female connector with digital (Hi-Speed USB, mini-B compatible)
Other: Memory card slot. Direct connection to Canon CP, SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable.
- Power Sources:
- Rechargeable lithium ion battery NB-9L (included) or AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC70 (sold separately)
- Shooting Capacity:
- Still Image*: approx. 200 shots (NB-9L)
ECO Mode: Approx. 280 shots
Playback Time: Approx. 240 min. (NB-9L)
- Operating Range:
- Operating Temperature: 32 - 104º F (0 - 40º C); Operating Humidity 10 - 90%
- Dimensions (W x H x D):
- 3.09 x 2.37 x 1.15 in. (78.6 x 60.2 x 29.3 mm)
- Approx. 6.88 oz. (195 g) including the battery and memory card
Approx. 6.14 oz. (174 g) camera only