Canon PowerShot A1400 16-Megapixel Digital Camera
Get Canon PowerShot A1400 Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized U.S. Retailer for Canon
and Many Other Fine Brands!
Canon's PowerShot A-series models have been instrumental for entry-level users in learning the joys of photography and the Canon PowerShot A1400 camera continues this tradition with features such as a 16-megapixel sensor, 720p HD video capture and a 28mm wide-angle lens to capture images of large groups at a family function or of a child on the playground. The A1400 camera has a Genuine Canon 5x optical zoom wide-angle lens, allowing users to capture up-close details and wide landscapes. In addition, the camera has a generous 2.7-inch, 230,000-pixel LCD screen. For the more traditional camera user, the PowerShot A1400 camera comes equipped with an optical viewfinder, adding its versatility, and uses AA batteries allowing for easy replacement whether at home or on a family vacation.
The PowerShot A1400 also offers Canon's Smart AUTO feature, with 32 shooting modes that selects the appropriate camera setting based on the users shooting environment. A Help button is available to provide an explanation of various shooting modes to help the user along the way. Engineered with sophisticated Canon picture-taking technology, this slim, colorful camera is powerfully simple. ECO Mod provides approximately 30 percent longer battery life when enabled, allowing them to shoot more photos for a longer amount of time. To make it possible to capture the most cherished moments, the PowerShot A1400 digital camera features Digital IS to help reduce the effects of camera shake and subject movement and a help button that gives users answers to common questions they may have about the camera's many high-quality functions. For even more imaging options, the PowerShot A1400 digital camera includes scene modes such as fisheye effect, toy camera effect and monochrome that give users creative freedom and offer a fun and artistic way to capture photos. The Canon PowerShot A1400 backed by Canon U.S.A.'s one-year limited warranty.
Canon PowerShot A1400 Key Features
- Canon PowerShot A1400 Digital Camera Supplied Accessories:
- Two AA-size Alkaline Batteries
- Wrist Strap WS-800
- 16.0 Megapixels
- The PowerShot A1400 features a 1/2.3-inch CCD image sensor with 16-megapixel resolution. The A1400 captures 4608 x 3456 pixel images with exceptional detail and color fidelity.
- Capture 720p HD Video
- The A1400 captures 720p HD Video. With 720p HD, you never have to worry about poor video quality. Record with confidence and then watch your videos directly on your HDTV, so you and your family can remember those great memories in crisp detail. When it comes to capturing a child walking for the first time or a person diving into a pool on vacation, shooting HD video is the ideal option. It also helps a person to relive the experience when looking back at the images. This feature offer extraordinary resolution, color and clarity to all cherished moments. Helping to heighten the quality of video, the PowerShot A1400 includes Miniature Effect movie mode. Available as a scene mode for shooting still photography, the Miniature Effect movie mode creates the illusion where large objects are shown in miniature proportions, providing a creative way to play back video.
- Genuine Canon Lens With 5x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom / 4x Digital Zoom / 20x Combined Zoom
- The PowerShot A1400 digital camera is equipped with an 8x 28 - 140 mm (35mm format equivalent) optical zoom lens with Canon optics for sharp images. With its 16 megapixel CCD and 5x optical zoom lens, you can capture intricate details. The optical zoom combines with a 4x digital zoom for a total of 20x zoom power. The 5x 28mm eqivalent wide-angle optical zoom is ideally suitable for a wide range of photographic applications from landscapes and snapshots to portraits and macro at a working distance as close as just over an inch from the subject.
Canon's heritage as an imaging company dates back over 70 years to the company's founding in 1934. Since then, Canon has worked hard to perfect the process of creating extremely high-quality optics for its line of imaging products and is now the world's largest manufacturer of cameras and lenses. Canon is a global leader in optical design, with many advanced and original technologies that allow Canon users to achieve the sharpest images possible.
- Digital IS (Image Stabilization)
- Digital IS beats the blur that mars many shots by recognizing the main subject, then automatically applying the camera shake correction that best suits the situation. If the subject is a person, blur reduction processing is performed. For landscapes, cityscapes and other still scenes, the camera takes 3 quick successive shots and composes them into a single clear image. If the subject is moving, the camera takes 3 successive shots, then automatically saves the clearest image.
- Smart AUTO
- Simply point and shoot and Smart AUTO makes your ordinary picture exceptional. The system detects and analyzes faces, brightness, colors, distance and movement, then compensates and enhances to make every image the best it can be by selecting an appropriate setting for the scene. Smart AUTO selects the proper settings for the camera based on 32 predefined shooting situations. The system detects the shooting situation and shows you the result on screen.
- Large, Clear 2.7-inch LCD Monitor
- The A1400 camera features a large 2.7-inch, 230,000-pixel LCD screen that gives you the big picture, whether you're shooting, reviewing or showing off your images. Clear and bright, it also features Night Display for easy viewing in low light.
- ECO Mode Helps Reduce Power Consumption For Longer Battery Life
- The PowerShot A2600 takes energy conservation to the next level with ECO Mode, which provides more shots per single charge through LCD monitor and camera power management. ECO Mode can be activated for easy power preservation when an outlet is unavailable or the moment is too exciting to put the camera down. ECO Mode quickly wakes the camera from sleep when a button is pressed so you won't miss the moment. When the fun with family and friends runs late into the evening, ECO Mode on the PowerShot A2600 makes sure your camera keeps up.
- Advanced Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB Technology
- Your most cherished image often feature faces, and Canon's advanced Face Detection Technology gives every face its best chance to shine. With Canon's Advanced Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB function, the A1400 can detect, lock on, and track up to 35 human faces in a scene. It can even detect profiles. The face detection algorithm automatically prioritizes and selects faces (based on Canon's Intelligent Scene Analysis/iSAPS technology). It will then optimize the focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help ensure the best possible results for even easier picture taking moments. The result is flattering portraits and group shots where all of the subjects are in clearer focus and accurately exposed.
- ISO 1600 Sensitivity
- Canon's advanced DIGIC Image Processor enables a range of ISO equivalent settings from 100 to 1600, achieving excellent image quality under darker conditions without a flash. With camera shake greatly reduced, you can shoot high quality images in many more situations. With Canon's latest Motion Detection Technology, it's even more advanced -- it also factors in camera or subject movement when setting ISO automatically.
- Low Light Mode
- The Low Light mode takes the Canon PowerShot A1400 into the shadows. Now even scenes notorious for having insufficient light, such as those lit by candles, fire, or street lamp, come through in fantastic color and clarity, with less noise. You can keep the feel of the scene intact without adding additional light, so the result will be scenes with the visual accuracy, depth and clarity you expect from a Canon camera.
- DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- Developed to speed up all operations between shooting and recording images, the DIGIC 4 Image Processor ensures that the PowerShot A1400 operates as quickly and intuitively as possible. Thanks to the DIGIC 4 Image Processor, the implementation of technologies like Face Detection Self-Timer and Intelligent Contrast Correction do not slow down the camera's performance, or drain excessive battery power, ensuring that no matter the shot, you're always ready to go.
DIGIC 4 builds on the superb performance of its DIGIC II and DIGIC III predecessors. As the "nerve center" of the camera, DIGIC 4 brings excellence to many areas. Images have brilliant color and smoother gradations, and performance is fast and responsive. DIGIC 4 also empowers some of Canon's most advanced features including Face Detection, Face Detection Self-Timer and high ISO for images in low light with improved noise reduction. DIGIC 4 not only allows higher ISO settings for beautiful images in low light or fast action shots, but also reduces the resulting 'noise' to keep image quality at its best.
- 17 Shooting Modes, Including Smart AUTO
- The Canon A1400 offers a wide variety of shooting modes to optimize the camera's performance based on user preferences or shooting conditions. The Canon PowerShot A1400 offers creative effects (Miniature Effect, Fisheye Effect) similar to those found in professional lenses. Scene modes that allow users to achieve optimum results in popular picture-taking situations.
- Smart AUTO - Smart AUTO selects the proper settings for the camera based on 32 predefined shooting situations so you can concentrate on your subject.
- Program - Access advanced exposure compensation features while shooting mostly automatically.
- Live View Control - Enables Brightness, Color, and Tone adjustments to your images using easy-to-understand controls.
- Digital IS - The camera digitally corrects image blur by analyzing the subject prior to choosing the best correction method.
- Portrait - The camera sets a large aperture, focuses the subject and artistically blurs the background to make your subject "pop".
- Face Self-Timer - Detects faces in the scene and releases the shutter automatically in response to the appearance of an additional face.
- Low Light - For high quality image capture in an amazing range of dimly-lit situations.
- Fisheye Effect - Uses barrel distortion to warp the image around the center, giving a distinctive curvature effect to the photo. The curvilinear images produced by Fisheye Effect can suggest the curve of the Earth, the inside of a dome, or the image you see through the peephole of a door.
- Miniature Effect - (also available for videos) Creates an illusion where very large objects appear in miniature proportions. Turn soaring cityscapes into a scene in seemingly dollhouse-like proportions.
- Toy Camera Effect - Simulates photos taken with "toy" or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effect.
- Monochrome - Choose from three single-tone effects: Black-and-White, Sepia, or Blue
- Super Vivid - Intensifies existing hues, saturating the scene with bright colors.
- Poster Effect - Combines several similar shades into one color, turning subtle gradations into eye-catching, scene-popping contrasts.
- Fireworks - Grab brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks.ching, scene-popping contrasts.
- Snow - Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects and bluish tint.
- Long Shutter - Uses a long exposure for an artistic effect. Great for urban photography.
- Movie - Standard, Miniature Effect, iFrame Movie
- Help Button
- The PowerShot A1400 digital camera is designed to be fun and easy to use, even for beginners. A Help Button on the camera's exterior brings up the help menu any time you need it, right on the LCD screen. From here, you can scroll through a variety of topics that answer your questions with clear explanations, offer helpful shooting advice, and show you diagrams highlighting the position of any buttons you'll need.
- Canon iSAPS Technology
- Over the past 68 years, Canon has accumulated a vast amount of photographic data and know-how and used it to create some of the most innovative camera products in the marketplace. Now, using that same data and know-how, Canon has developed an exclusive technology called iSAPS (Intelligent Scene Analysis based on Photographic Space) that can predict certain camera settings such as focusing distance, exposure and optimum white balance based on zoom focal length, overall light level and tonal distribution data. Canon refers to this collective data as "Photographic Space." By incorporating iSAPS technology into its PowerShot line, the cameras can analyze a scene just before the image is made and in doing so, increase the speed and precision of the camera's autofocus, auto exposure and auto white balance.
- SDHC / SDXC / SD Memory Card Compatibility
- The PowerShot A1400 is compatible with the newest SDXC memory cards. This next-generation storage features massively increased capacity (up to 2 terabytes) and notably faster operation.
- Intelligent Contrast Correction
- DIGIC also makes possible the i-Contrast (Intelligent Contrast Correction) system, which controls the compensation level in pixel units to brighten dark areas while leaving bright areas unchanged for better images where the main subject is dark, and more natural transition.
- Runs On Two AA Batteries
- Conveniently, you don't need to worry about running out of batteries or having to recharge them. Since AA-size batteries can be purchased at any store, simply get new ones locally -- wherever you go, no special power adapters or chargers are needed.
- Optical Viewfinder
- The PowerShot A1400 digital camera gives you a choice that's getting increasingly hard to find on digital cameras today. It's equipped with an Optical Viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen. Many photographers prefer this classic, familiar option that lets you simply hold the camera to your eye and shoot.
- Advanced Red-eye Correction
- Red-eye Correction provides three options for removing red-eye from subjects in flash pictures. The Red-eye Correction during shooting actually identifies and corrects red-eye in human subjects as pictures are taken. The A1400 can be set to automatically detect and correct red-eye during image playback. You can manually locate any red eyes in a scene during image playback on the LCD screen, and command the camera to remove them.
- Direct Printing
- You've taken the picture, reviewed it, like it and can not wait to print it out. What next? Direct Printing significantly expands the appeal of the PowerShot A1400 digital camera by making it simple, quick and convenient to produce high-quality photos without the need for a personal computer. Simply connect the A1400 directly to a Canon Compact or Canon Direct Photo Printer, as well as PictBridge compatible printer. Beyond its Direct Print capability with Canon's Compact Photo Printers and acclaimed Canon Direct Photo Printers, the camera is also PictBridge compatible, an industry standard that offers the flexibility of direct printing to other brands of PictBridge compatible printers.
The PowerShot A1400 digital camera supports Exif Print, a worldwide standard that transfers important camera settings and data from the camera to the printer ensuring the photos you print will look true to life. Moreover, DPOF 1.3 (Digital Print Order Format) lets users specify the images to be printed or execute batch printing of selected images.
- Noise Reduction
- Experienced photographers know that high ISO speeds can coincide with increased levels of noise: aberrant or stray signals that degrade image quality. With Canon's exclusive DIGIC 4 Image Processor, there is no need for compromise. DIGIC III offers a major boost in noise reduction signal processing to compensate for the higher ISO settings it enables.
- Built-in Flash
- The PowerShot A1400 digital camera has a built-in flash with automatic red-eye reduction setting and a maximum range of about 10 feet.
- White Balance Control
- Different light sources have different temperatures that can dramatically affect the quality of pictures. So the camera is equipped with selectable high-precision White Balance Settings to handle a full range of shooting conditions. There are 5 presets: Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent and Fluorescent H. Plus there's also Custom and Auto settings.
- Selectable Light Metering
- The PowerShot A1400 provides a range of Canon's highly advanced exposure features that offer greater control and greater convenience. Selectable Light Metering offers three settings. In the Evaluative setting, the camera reads multiple points across the frame for optimal overall exposure. The Spot Metering setting concentrates on a single area in the center of the image for greater precision in high contrast situations. Centerweighted Averaging Metering, with emphasis on the center of the viewfinder, averages metering out over the entire picture area.
Canon PowerShot A1400 Specifications
- Type of Camera:
- Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 5x Optical / 4x Digital / 20x Combined Zoom
- Image Capture Device:
- 16.6 million pixel gross, 1/2.3-inch type Charge Coupled Device (CCD), Approx. 16.0 Million Effective Pixels
- 5.0 - 25.0 mm f/2.8 - 6.9 zoom lens (equivalent to 28 - 140 mm in 35mm format)
- Optical Zoom:
- Digital Zoom:
- Focus Range:
- Normal: 1.2 in. - infinity / 3 cm - infinity (WIDE), 3.9 ft. - infinity / 1.2 m - infinity (TELE)
Macro: 1.2 in. - 1.6 ft. / 3 - 50 cm
- Autofocus System:
- TTL Autofocus
- Maximum Aperture:
- f/2.8 (W) - f/6.9 (T)
- Shutter Speed:
- 1 - 1/2000 sec.
15 - 1/2000 sec. (Total shutter speed range)
- ISO Sensitivity:
- Auto, ISO 100/200/400/800/1600 equivalent (in P mode) / 6400 equivalent (in Low Light mode) (Standard output sensitivity. Recommended exposure index)
- Light Metering Method:
- Evaluative metering (Control to incorporate facial brightness in Face Detection AE), Center-weighted average metering, Spot metering (Metering frame is fixed to the center or linked to the AF frame)
- Exposure Control:
- Program AE, AE Lock
- +/- 2.0 EV in 1/3-step increments (not available when shooting movies)
- White Balance Control:
- Auto, Pre-set (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H) and Custom White Balance
- Built-in Flash Modes:
- Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off
- Flash Range:
- 1.6 - 9.8 ft. / 50 cm - 3.0m (W), 3.9 - 6.6 ft./1.2 m - 2.0 m (T)
Image brightness may diminish depending on the shooting distance.
- Flash Recycling Time:
- 10 sec. or less (battery voltage=3.0V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation:
- Real-image Zoom Optical Viewfinder
- LCD Viewfinder:
- 2.7" TFT color LCD with wide-viewing angle, Approx. 230,000 pixels, LCD Coverage 100%
- Resolution (Recording Pixels):
- Still Image: 4608 x 3456 (Large), 3264 x 2448 (Medium 1), 1600 X 1200 (Medium 2), 640 x 480 (Small), 4608 x 2592 (Widescreen)
Movie: HD 1280 x 720 (25 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps*)
iFrame Movie: 1280 x 720 (25 fps)
Miniature Effect Movie: HD 1280 x 720 (6 fps, 3 fps, 1.5 fps, playback 25 fps); 640 x 480 (6 fps, 3 fps, 1.5 fps, playback 30 fps*)
* Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps
- File Size: (average)
* Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps
- Small - 150 KB
- Med. 2 - 558 KB
- Med. 1 - 2060 KB
- Large - 4093 KB
- Widescreen - 3069 KB
- Med. Low Light - 1144 KB
- Movie HD 1280 x 720, 25 fps - 2621 KB/sec.
- Movie 640 x 480, 30 fps* - 1416 KB/sec.
- Image Storage Capacity:
- File Format:
- Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF Version 1.1 (Digital Print Order Format) compliant
- Image Recording Format:
- Still Image: JPEG (Exif 2.3 compliant); Video: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio data: Linear PCM (2 channel monoaural))
- Recording Media:
- SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card
- Continuous Shooting
- Approx. 0.8 shots/sec in P Mode (approx. 2.9 shots/sec. in Low Light)
- Shooting Modes:
- Auto, P, Live View Control, Digital IS, Portrait, Face Self-timer, Snow, Fireworks, Low Light, Long Shutter, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Movie (Standard, Miniature Effect)
- Photo Effect:
- Approx. 10-sec. delay
Approx. 2-sec. delay
Custom: shooting start time (0-15 sec. (in one-second increments), 20/25/30 sec.) number of shots (1-10 shots (in one-shot increments)) can be specified
- Playback Modes:
- Still Images and Movies: Auto Rotate (Automatic vertical/horizontal detection), Rotate, Search Jump (Shot Date, Movies, Still Images)
Still Image: Single, Index (4-100 Thumbnails), Magnification (Approx. 2x-10x), Resize, i-Contrast, Information Display (Histogram, Overexposure Warning), Red-eye Correction, Resume Playback, Transition, Photobook Set-up
Movies: Normal Playback (audio settings available in 5 levels), Slow Motion, Pause, next frame (fast-forward also available), previous frame (rewind also available), Skip Backward (approximately 4 seconds), Skip Forward (approximately 4 seconds)
- Erase Modes:
- Still Image: single image, all images
The image data in the memory card stored with the design rule for camera file systems format can be erased (however, protected images cannot be erased).
Movies can be erased individually
- Dedicated connector (female) with unified type of digital, audio and video
Computer Interface: USB Hi-Speed mini-B compatible
Video Output: NTSC or PAL selectable
Audio Out: Monaural
Other: SD Memory card slot; Direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable.
- Direct Printing:
- Direct connection to Canon CP and SELPHY Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable
- Power Sources:
- 2 AA Alkaline Batteries
2 AA NiMH Batteries (optional)
AC Adapter Kit ACK800 (optional), requires DC Coupler DR-DC10 (also optional)
- Operating Range:
- Operating Temperature: 32 - 104º F (0 - 40º C); Operating Humidity 10 - 90%
- Dimensions (W x H x D):
- 3.73 x 2.43 x 1.17 in. (94.7 x 61.7 x 29.8 mm)
- Weight (including batteries and memory card):
- Approx. 6.14 oz. (174 g) including batteries and memory card
Approx. 4.44 oz. (126 g) camera body only